Beds on Viking Longships

Kid Doc

Hello all,

My wife and I are taking our first river cruise the end of August on the Viking longship Kara. She has fairly significant arthritis, not to the point of affecting our ability to do excursions, be active, etc but comfort of the bed is a priority to us. To the point that if the beds are not great, she may lug along a memory foam mattress topper.

Our only other cruise experience was on a Royal Caribbean Mediterranean cruise 4 years ago and she found that bed to be about a 5/10 comfort level. We would love any insight the Viking vets can provide us. Thanks!

Tony

Edited by Kid Doc

We found the bed on a Viking longship just fine. I don't remember details but I don't think it can have been very soft, because we don't like soft beds. But when you're buying a new bed, you don't ask other people what their bed is like, you go along to a store and try out the beds. I'm afraid there is no way you are going to know for sure beforehand whether a Viking longhsip bed will suit your wife, or a bed on any other ship or in any hotel, come to that.

Having travelled twice on Viking, I've complained both times about the beds. We have a memory foam mattress at home, so I'm spoiled, but the Viking beds are platform, with a single mattress on top. I find them too thin and hard and had pressure points after the second night. I would wake up several times a night and struggle to find a comfortable spot. My back was giving me grief in the mornings and (as a side sleeper) my hips would ache.

I had heard someone on our first ship, the Magni, had requested a foam topper from Viking and it was on their bed upon arrival.