Hobbitown tours

We will be driving from Auckland to Rotorua, and want to visit Hobbitown. In looking at the map, it looks like Matamata is on the way, and I wanted to know if we could just stop along the way, and take the tour. I know I have to book it ahead of time. From what I have researched, it looks like we can stop in Matamata, and take the tour from there. I didn't want to drive down to Rotorua, and then have to double back for the tour of Hobbitown.

Also, does anyone know about how long it would take to drive from downtown Auckland to Matamata area? (I was thinking about 2.5 hours)

Our plans are to check out of hotel, pick up the car, and begin our drive. Thinking the 2:00 tour would work best? It is a 2.5 hour tour. Then, we can continue down to Rotoroa, and check in to our hotel. Does this sound like a do able day?

Yes, it is on the way to Rotorua and, yes, it is a very doable day.

Matamata is about 1.5-2 hours depending on traffic. If you got away from your hotel around 10am you will easily get there by noon. If that's doable for you I'd suggest booking the 1pm tour. That would give you time for a quick lunch before the tour, and plenty of time to get to Rotorua after the tour.

According to the Hobbiton website you can drive to "The Shires Rest" which appears to be the entrance to Hobbiton. This is probably easier than getting picked up and returned to Matamata. Hobbiton is south-west from Matamata and should be well signposted from highway 27.

You don't have to go back through Matamata to get to Rotorua. Join highway 29 from Hobbiton and turn left, stay on 29 through the crossroads, turn right at Te Poi, right on to highway 28 and that will connect with highway 5 over the Mamakus to Rotorua. This way is a little quicker than going down highway 27 to Tirau.

Oh, and the best way to go to Matamata is via highway 27.

Once you leave Auckland you will go over a range of hills called the Bombay Hills. Turn left at the bottom of these on to SH2. At one point SH2 will go off to the left (don't turn here) and the straight through road becomes highway 27 and ends up in Matamata. :)

Oh, and the best way to go to Matamata is via highway 27.

Once you leave Auckland you will go over a range of hills called the Bombay Hills. Turn left at the bottom of these on to SH2. At one point SH2 will go off to the left (don't turn here) and the straight through road becomes highway 27 and ends up in Matamata. :)

Thank you so much for the wonderful directions. I will be sure to put this information with all our other reservations. I watched all the LOR movies, and the 2 Hobbit movies, and think Hobbitown will be a great place to visit. When the next Hobbit movie comes out later this year, we will be sure to see it before our visit.

Just a quick comment that as an overseas visitor, not familiar with the roads, it would be easier to go in to the Matamata office and get their bus from there. You cannot drive to the attraction even if you go to its site office. You can only get there on their bus so why not get on early and enjoy the view of the countryside? Just a thought.

Just a quick comment that as an overseas visitor, not familiar with the roads, it would be easier to go in to the Matamata office and get their bus from there. You cannot drive to the attraction even if you go to its site office. You can only get there on their bus so why not get on early and enjoy the view of the countryside? Just a thought.

That option does add an extra hour to the Hobbiton visit though.

If the OP gets a GPS unit with their rental car they shouldn't have much problem. It's not that easy to get lost in that part of the Waikato, there aren't that many roads ;)

Just in case - here are more detailed directions.

When you come into Matamata from the north, you will come to a large roundabout. The township is off to the left, highway 27 continues straight ahead. Near the outskirts of the town you will veer left, then right, crossing the railway line. Eventually you will come to a major crossroads with a gas station on the right. Turn right at these crossroads onto highway 29 (towards Hamilton), after passing through the small settlement of Hinuera and rounding a large left curve in the road you will see a road off to the right signposted (green) for Matamata. Close to the intersection is a brown sign for Hobbiton. Turn right, then left, and then left again into Buckland Rd and continue until you get ro Hobbiton.

If you are at all concerned about NZ road take a "drive" along them using Google maps. That will give you an idea of the type of roads you will be driving on.

Thank you again both for your input. We are thinking we will take the 1:15 tour from Matamata. It is the same price, and we can sit back and relax on the bus trip into Hobbiton. We looked at the map, and then checked out the restaurants in town, and are thinking we will check out of our hotel, get the car and have a nice drive down, then grab some lunch before we take the tour.

We will get a gps with the car, but also the directions are very detailed. I will be sure to take them with us! Thanks again!

1 Day down, 3 more to figure out what we will do. We plan to go to Hell's Gate spa, (gotta try out the mud bath!). Also, the Gondola and Luge in Rotorua look like lots of fun! We may also visit one of the geothermal spots and take in the Maori culture.

Edited by debshomespun

The luge is great fun. There are three tracks:

Scenic which is the easiest and which everyone has to go on for their first run

Intermediate which is a good for most people

Advanced which is steep and fast and absolutely brilliant. My favourite! :D

If you get a five run ticket do try the advanced run last if you've really enjoyed the previous four runs. The advanced run looks scary but is actually quite easy :).

I haven't been to Hells Gate for decades but remember it as a nice geothermal area and the spa should be good. Rotorua mud is very good for the skin.

You should probably do Whakarewarewa as well as it combines a geothermal area with Maori culture.

If you want to go back to Auckland a different way, I suggest going through to Tauranga and from there through Waihi and Paeroa on SH2, which ends up at the bottom of the Bombay Hills. This will take you through the Karangaheke Gorge which is very beautiful.

I live in Matamata and just wanted to bring to your notice that the Visitors center that you will catch the bus from has recently been changed to look like a Gatehouse from Middle Earth. There is also across the road on the center island of the road a statue of Golum where most visitors like to have their photograph taken.

There are many options for food on the main street from take away type (Indian and Chinese as well as the usual fish and burgers) to Italian dinning, kebabs, sushi, bakeries, roasts, cafes and coffee houses and we also have the standard Subway, MacD's and KFC available.

Enjoy your visit if I can give you any other information let me know I am happy to help. :)

Links below.

http://www.matamatanz.co.nz/

http://www.hobbitontours.com/