Catching a SWA plane in Tampa

snc_cam

I am looking to book the Pride in Tampa this Dec and looking for return flights from TPA -> BWI. There is a 940am direct and a 1035am 1-stop. Are either of these doable with us leaving on self-assist?

Thanks

Steve

I would not suggest flights that early. 2 out of our last 3 cruises from Tampa during December had delayed arrivals do to fog in the bay. One of those, we didn't dock till after 3:00 p.m. Just risky that time of year.

The last time I flew on Southwest, the lines at both the ticket counter and the security line were SOOOOOOOOOOO long, that it took us 2 hours to make it to the gate.

By the way, don't limit your search to just Southwest. I see a lot of people here on Cruise Critic so focused on flying on Southwest because of their reputation of being cheap, that many times they overlook that there may be a cheaper flight at a better time on another airline. Southwest is not the price leader they once were, even with the free bags.

Edited by Tapi

yeah, I am aware of that. which is why I am looking for comments about returning into Tampa.

I am also looking at the PC cruises for the same period. A little more expensive but may be more advantageous do to the fog issues

Look at the SWA 1:25PM flight. It is nonstop from Tampa to BWI. If you make it to the airport between 11-11:30 AM, you will easily make your flight . However, if you are flying Christmas week (I don't remember if you specified a date), you will need at least 1/2 - 1 hour more to make it through security (arrive at the airport 10-10:30 AM). Not only do you have cruise ship passengers using the airport, but many families use Tampa as an alternative to Orlando for Disney trips.

We "tried" SW and it was awful. I do not want to stand in long lines to check in and then stand in another long line for security. We waited in line for almost two hours just to get near the front of the line for security and were told our flight was cancelled. That's not what I wanted to hear after waiting in a long line. Then another l-o-n-g line to re-book along with another 100+ people (the other 100+ were behind us)! Except for trying SW it's always been JB for us. I won't even look up the price of a SW flight. Just walking through an airport, SW is ALWAYS crowded with long lines. Good luck!

Our 10:30-ish flight out of Tampa was our one and only close call. That's all it took for me to ensure I never booked a returning flight that early ever again! WAY too stressful. Obviously, when i booked it i didn't realize what a stupid mistake I was making.

We made the flight, but literally with only seconds to spare. We counted our blessings for sure. Totally not worth the chance or stress of missing the flight.

Thanks to all that answered.

So, recap... with the security lines, my wife and I are pre-check, so we can get through rather quickly. And with our bags, we use the outside luggage drops since the inside lines are horrendous.

Plus, I have booked the cruise out of PC instead of Tampa. The main issue being the fog since it is a much longer trip from the Gulf into the port than with Atlantic to PC (maybe a mile). Plus, with PC, I can stay at my parents in Orlando which removes the hotel costs and makes it much easier to catch a flight the next day. Which is usually why we go out of PC.

Thanks to all that answered.

So, recap... with the security lines, my wife and I are pre-check, so we can get through rather quickly. And with our bags, we use the outside luggage drops since the inside lines are horrendous.

Plus, I have booked the cruise out of PC instead of Tampa. The main issue being the fog since it is a much longer trip from the Gulf into the port than with Atlantic to PC (maybe a mile). Plus, with PC, I can stay at my parents in Orlando which removes the hotel costs and makes it much easier to catch a flight the next day. Which is usually why we go out of PC.

Isn't Tampa about the same distance to Orlando that PC is to Orlando?

And with our bags, we use the outside luggage drops since the inside lines are horrendous

The luggage drop outside had LONGER lines than the ticket counter inside. My wife and I actually split up to see who'd make it to the front of the line first. We kept texting each other so that we could join the other person, whoever made it first. She still had quite some time to go. By the way, it was over an hour long line.

And as far as the security checkpoint goes, even with priority, statistically Orlando has some of the worst wait times IN THE NATION (mainly because of the volume of passengers, many who are families, traveling with strollers, liquids, and all sorts of other things that slow the whole process down), as well as a huge percentage of international passengers who may not be as familiar with TSA directives in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Isn't Tampa about the same distance to Orlando that PC is to Orlando?

The issue was catching a flight from Tampa on the same day we return to port. And if the ship is late, it could be missing a flight.

For the Orlando flight, I would go to my family the day we get into port and fly out at least one day later.

The issue was catching a flight from Tampa on the same day we return to port. And if the ship is late, it could be missing a flight.

For the Orlando flight, I would go to my family the day we get into port and fly out at least one day later.

Got it. I was thinking you were going to visit in Orlando anyway so why not drive there if you like the ship/itinerary better from Tampa.:D

We "tried" SW and it was awful. I do not want to stand in long lines to check in and then stand in another long line for security. We waited in line for almost two hours just to get near the front of the line for security and were told our flight was cancelled. That's not what I wanted to hear after waiting in a long line. Then another l-o-n-g line to re-book along with another 100+ people (the other 100+ were behind us)! Except for trying SW it's always been JB for us. I won't even look up the price of a SW flight. Just walking through an airport, SW is ALWAYS crowded with long lines. Good luck!

?? everyone goes through the security no matter what airlines they are flying-- we all go through the same TSA security line. It has nothing at all to do with Southwest

?? everyone goes through the security no matter what airlines they are flying-- we all go through the same TSA security line. It has nothing at all to do with Southwest

Depends on the airport. If the security checkpoint is gate, concourse, or terminal specific (like LAX or MCI where Southwest has a significant presence), you may not be on the same security line as passengers traveling on other airlines. Also, because Southwest tends to operate so many flights out of a reduced number of gates by turning planes around quickly, there may be passengers for multiple flights at one gate at once, which does make for a much more crowded and chaotic experience.

Edited by Tapi

Our 10:30-ish flight out of Tampa was our one and only close call. That's all it took for me to ensure I never booked a returning flight that early ever again! WAY too stressful. Obviously, when i booked it i didn't realize what a stupid mistake I was making.

We made the flight, but literally with only seconds to spare. We counted our blessings for sure. Totally not worth the chance or stress of missing the flight.

Bags must be checked in within 60 min. of your flight time. so the OP will need to check the bags by 8:40am

ship does not arrive until 8am. and will need to be cleared. They they will call people to self embark-- then go through customs/immigration. Grab a taxi head to the airport-- check in bags. get through security. SW boards 30 minutes prior to leaving

On a cruise turn over day no less.

Edited by serene56

Got it. I was thinking you were going to visit in Orlando anyway so why not drive there if you like the ship/itinerary better from Tampa.:D

:)... actually, the itineraries are exactly the same. I am liking the Pride because it is a smaller ship than the Liberty. But will have to wait for my experience on the Pride until March.

The luggage drop outside had LONGER lines than the ticket counter inside. My wife and I actually split up to see who'd make it to the front of the line first. We kept texting each other so that we could join the other person, whoever made it first. She still had quite some time to go. By the way, it was over an hour long line.

I'm confused - what line are you referring to? Granted, I've never flown out of Tampa, but every other airport I've flown out of, you drop your bags curbside, give the guy a few bucks a bag, and they quickly take care of it. Are you saying, the wait to do that in Tampa was an hour? :confused:

Bags must be checked in within 60 min. of your flight time. so the OP will need to check the bags by 8:40am

ship does not arrive until 8am. and will need to be cleared. They they will call people to self embark-- then go through customs/immigration. Grab a taxi head to the airport-- check in bags. get through security. SW boards 30 minutes prior to leaving

On a cruise turn over day no less.

plus having to deal with the stress of either trying to catch the earlier flight or the aggravation of having to wait around all day for a late afternoon flight.

PC cruise was more amenable... But hate having to give up the stop at Grand Turk :( Oh, well, something to look forward to in another year :)

I'm confused - what line are you referring to? Granted, I've never flown out of Tampa, but every other airport I've flown out of, you drop your bags curbside, give the guy a few bucks a bag, and they quickly take care of it. Are you saying, the wait to do that in Tampa was an hour? :confused:

You can either drop the bags off at the outside concierge desk (with a tip) or go inside to the ticket counter. And in Orlando the day after Xmas, it was at LEAST a 90 minute wait inside... and this was at 7am. I have NEVER seen the Orlando airport that busy for SWA, but I limit my travel on holidays for this reason.

... every other airport I've flown out of, you drop your bags curbside, give the guy a few bucks a bag, and they quickly take care of it. Are you saying, the wait to do that in Tampa was an hour? :confused:

Yes. The Outside line was longer than the inside one. Wife was on the curve while I was inside, texting each other how much it sucked.