Conversation Starters

jaspersmycat

...and the scariest part is that they reproduce.

Scott & Karen

Maybe she was a Canadian. That is the comment most of us make when discussing Quebec City. It IS like being in another country.

Edited by sapper1

4 of us travel together (2 couples) We always tell our agent that if they can't get us a table for 8 or 10, then we want a table for 4. It is just uncomfortable for another couple at a table for 6, esp given that we have known each other for 40+ years and have been traveling together for better than 15.

Plus it takes the pressure off of us to be inclusive.

We cruise and vacation with a long time close knit group also. We have "in" jokes and words that just set us off all over again.

Not that we aren't welcoming and friendly to others outside the group . It just takes away from the mood when you have to explain why everyone is hysterically laughing about someone asking for ketchup.

True story: "Hi we are so and so and so and so. She's the widow of blah blah blah, he left her well off, but I've got EVEN MORE MONEY that her. Made it all myself. I'm a widower. We have over (several 100) days cruising on Holland America....." and I swear this guy never stopped to take a breath for the entire time of lunch. Thank goodness it was only lunch ;)

>SNIP<

Cowprincess, we had a terrible name-dropper at one lunch in the MDR, which was boring enough, but that boorish display takes the cake!

No, the one that "took the cake" would have been the far-beyond-creepy nearly-deaf guy (so he was really loud) we got as a "Welcome Aboard Lunch" table companion who discussed meeting women using the internet. And he didn't call them "women" :eek: Ugh, now I need a shower just thinking about it :eek:

I do things a little differently. If we are amongst dinner company that we detest, I attempt to figure out their trigger, and then focus in on that. I then steer the conversation to be the most agonizing as possible. Usually by day two we find they are no longer seated with us.

• Sent from my screen to yours.

Oh would I love to cruise with you. Poking the bear is so much more fun when you can tag team them.

I was trying to make polite chit chat with a couple, and asked what part of Australia they were from....pause....the New Zealand part!

I was trying to think of how to recover when they asked what part of the United States I was from, I laughed and said ... the Canadian part!

We all had a good laugh - it really broke the ice!

Hilarious thread, while pregnant on a cruise I was constantly asked what I was having, I got a lot of weird looks when I said "a boy and girl"- it was twins but that is not the first conclusion people jump to....at the same time?

traveling with the twins I was asked if I used fertility treatments and if I planned on breast feeding, well of course with twins I was going to use formula, lots of personal questions and assumptions. I heard it all! Right down to how did I deliver. A nice topic while waiting in line...

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I was trying to make polite chit chat with a couple, and asked what part of Australia they were from....pause....the New Zealand part!

I was trying to think of how to recover when they asked what part of the United States I was from, I laughed and said ... the Canadian part!

We all had a good laugh - it really broke the ice!

When I moved to Australia, one of the ladies at the check-out in the supermarket asked if I was Canadian, and I replied that no, I'm an American. She thought for a moment and then explained that whenever she hears "North American" accent she always asks if the person is Canadian, rather than if they are from the US because if they're Canadian, they're excited she could pick it and if they're from the US, they are usually happy to be called Canadian.

Have you ever been in an elevator in port, where they have a lower deck locked out because only one end of the ship is open for disembarkation? Have you had the pleasure of talking to the people who have made a couple of trips up & down because they refuse to accept that the elevator is not stopping at the A deck or the B deck? Have these people told you that they know that the elevator *must* go there because (1) it's got A and B buttons, and (2)the elevator most certainly went there just the other day?

Several times I've had people make disparaging remarks about one politician or another, but so far as I can recall I've never heard any bring up the other "big taboo", religion.

I was asked this on my last Carnival cruise. They were a bit self righteous. We are not of their religion.

We shared a table with another couple in the Lido one day at lunch. They were in their 70's from a European country (I shan't say which), and proceeded to tell us how much they hadn't enjoyed New Zealand, Australia was disappointing, the food in the MDR was always cold, he had heart problems and that this was each of their third marriages!

When his wife went to get him a cup of coffee at the same time my partner went to get another serve of bread pudding - he lunged across the table and grabbed my hand saying "you are magnificent, when can I get you alone"....

I laughed and said "Mate, you couldn't handle me"!

Have you ever been in an elevator in port, where they have a lower deck locked out because only one end of the ship is open for disembarkation? Have you had the pleasure of talking to the people who have made a couple of trips up & down because they refuse to accept that the elevator is not stopping at the A deck or the B deck? Have these people told you that they know that the elevator *must* go there because (1) it's got A and B buttons, and (2)the elevator most certainly went there just the other day?

My DH once came back onto the ship and stood with another couple waiting for the elevator. When it came the other couple did not get in, so DH got on the elevator, held the door, and asked the couple if they were getting in. They replied "no - we are waiting for the elevator going aft."

Edited by Linda&Vern

We were sailing on an New England /Canada ...when discovering we were Canadian this American gentleman said "Yeah there are a lot on you on board...why the heck would you take a cruise that sailed to Canada ? ".....I am still scratching my head...:D.....either he didn't know how large Canada is and couldn't entertain that maybe some of her citizens hadn't seen all of it..or if they had might like to revisit via a cruise ship....and how he didn't factor in fellow Americans visiting Alaska or Hawaii or the two American ports he had just left I don't know...as I said still scratching my head.....odd thing was he wasn't the only one to ask us this....

No, the one that "took the cake" would have been the far-beyond-creepy nearly-deaf guy (so he was really loud) we got as a "Welcome Aboard Lunch" table companion who discussed meeting women using the internet. And he didn't call them "women" :eek: Ugh, now I need a shower just thinking about it :eek:

DW had a creepy old guy experience before we met. her and her friend were in Florida at a resort and they were laying out by the pool. This guy about 70 walks by them and starts making conversation. He seemed like a sweet old grandfatherly type and being friendly.

Then the conversation starts getting weird . He mentions how pretty they are , and what great bodies they have , that they must be strippers or models. Then he mentions if they ever have threesomes :)

OK old guy is getting creepy..so they get up and leave.

The next day they are in the lobby of the hotel and they walk by one of the conference rooms . there is a big group of people in there and someone up front talking. The sign in front of the room says this is some type of "Marriage Enrichment Seminar Retreat type group *LOL* and guess who the speaker is up front?????? *LOL*

Here is this guy with his wife and he is extolling the virtues of marriage and going through all the steps couples need to go through for a successful marriage . He and his wife were married 46 years and everyday they it gets stronger because they follow the steps and do the work and blah blah blah.

DW and her friend were hysterical.

When she first told me the story not long after we first met, I said "You didn't stick around to hear the whole seminar? Maybe a threesome with a stripper/model IS the key to 46 years of happy marriage. :)

This didn't happen on HAL. Dad and I were having breakfast in the Lido at a 2 top on the first morning of our cruise.

This gentleman sat down next to us at another 2 top and started to tell us that he was a producer of films in LA. He then handed Dad his business card to prove it. He talked about his important job non-stop. The whole time he is talking he is chewing his eggs, sausage, toast, etc WITH HIS MOUTH OPEN!!

We tried the MDR for breakfast the next morning and were seated at a 4 top.

Guess who was seated with us! He enjoyed himself so much the day before that he wanted to join us again. Yes, the mouth was open as he chewed. Yes, he talked non-stop.

The gentleman asked us what time we ate lunch, which seating we had at dinner, etc. He wanted to make certain his wife and son met us since we were so nice.

The following morning, Dad and I got up extra early, found a 2 top in the middle of larger tables in the Lido and ate extra fast. We never returned to the MDR for breakfast and used that 2 top for the rest of the cruise for breakfast. We found other people to make crowded tables for lunch. Luckily, dinner was at a 2 top.

(Yes, the gentleman hunted us down in the MDR and introduced us to his wife and son one evening at dinner.)

As we sailed out of our home city of Saint John on the Eurodam a few years back, a couple from Texas who were on deck next to us mentioned that the only way to Nova Scotia from Saint John was by ferry. I assured him that we live here and very often drive to Nova Scotia in just a few hours, although it is possible to take the ferry. He insisted that I was mistaken and he and his wife walked away in a huff. His wife also stated that we couldn't possibly drive to Nova Scotia.

As we sailed out of our home city of Saint John on the Eurodam a few years back, a couple from Texas who were on deck next to us mentioned that the only way to Nova Scotia from Saint John was by ferry. I assured him that we live here and very often drive to Nova Scotia in just a few hours, although it is possible to take the ferry. He insisted that I was mistaken and he and his wife walked away in a huff. His wife also stated that we couldn't possibly drive to Nova Scotia.

...oh my :D...your DH should have said "Please excuse her,she is easily confused and doesn't get out much " :D:D

Being from Alaska I am often asked about Sarah Palin. This is often a loaded question and one I try to politely duck when possible. Although I have met her on a at least two occasions.

We also get the "do you know soandso?" a lot. So it was pretty funny that while floating in the Caribbean I discovered I actually knew the sister of a fellow passenger.

I am expecting a lot of "Why are you taking an Alaskan cruise -- you live in Alaska?" on our sailing in two weeks. Especially since Juneau (my hometown) is our first port of call. I suppose I need to craft a story about how I am an undercover agent for the State of Alaska sailing to make sure that HAL is complying with all the relevant regulations...