Conversation Starters

jaspersmycat

Hi I have to both breakfast on Amsterdam.

One I sat down (solo) a couple sat across from me. Very nice couple. They way they spoke and llok I knew they had to be Dutch and they had dutch names. Another couple joined us (American) So the American asks if he was German. I almost choked on mt pancakes. The man answered No we are from Holland. Well this jerk said back oh they all the same Germens and Datch.. With that the poor dutch man replys Germany invaded Holland. American says back Oh that was a long time ago you should forget about that. The man from Holland came back with some remarks one being when your country is invaded lets see how long you remember it. I excused my self.

One I sat at a table for 6. this was 2nd day of cruise. A woman from England was screaming at any waiter that looked her way. During the meal he tea was not hot enough and every a new pot was delieved to her it was not hot. She would raise her voice. He eggs were not right.. her toast was not right everything they brought her resulted in a scream. Nothing they did or brought was good enough. She was rude and loud. It was my last time in the MDR for Breakfast I used room service.

Mary

on the "you must know so and so" front...

I'm taking the bus from upper Michigan to Cleveland years ago, dressed in my air force uniform. An elderly lady across the aisle asks.. "are you in the army?" "No, maam I'm in the Air Force" "Oh, you must know my grandson, Norman, he's in the Army"

Was tempted to tell her that I'd just had a beer w/ him last weekend.

Off topic, kind of:

I had lunch with a friend yesterday who was on an Alaskan cruise on HAL earlier this summer. She told me that her waiter, during fixed seating, was Somalian. When I told her he wasn't, she was miffed and disagreed. (I'm now wondering if they've brought in Somalian waiters???)

Off topic, kind of:

I had lunch with a friend yesterday who was on an Alaskan cruise on HAL earlier this summer. She told me that her waiter, during fixed seating, was Somalian. When I told her he wasn't, she was miffed and disagreed. (I'm now wondering if they've brought in Somalian waiters???)

I doubt it. Lots of eastern Europeans in the Pinnacle on the Zuiderdam, though.

What made her think he was Somalian? Is that what he said?

Off topic, kind of:

Perhaps your friend misheard him and he said he was Samoan ??

I am expecting a lot of "Why are you taking an Alaskan cruise -- you live in Alaska?" on our sailing in two weeks. Especially since Juneau (my hometown) is our first port of call. ...

You could always use the famous line, "If I told you I would have to shoot you!"

(My former boss picked that up from someone whose brother - in - law worked for NSA. I use it a lot when I don't want to answer a nosy question.)

Re "do you know so-and-so":

My Lady Wife had an Uncle Jack who was the sort of man who could walk into a bar in a new city and have people buying him drinks within an hour.

Whenever we visited a place that he might have been, we would ask (at irregular intervals), "BTW do you know Jack Watson".

More than once, the answer was "yes" and the person would tell us the story.

Jack loved hearing updates about people he had known.

Before you get cynical:

One afternoon we were talking with a fellow who began bragging about his adventures with a three-letter gov't agency.

Of course, he had known JW, and told us how he had met him.

When we mentioned it to JW, he said "Never could keep his mouth shut. That's why I fired him".

Ira

Many years ago my DH was approached by an elderly lady, alone in an elevator, " I've been watching you honey, How bout you ditch your wife and I'll buy to lunch and we'll check into a hotel in port for dessert?"

Every cruise in the past..."where are you from? Us.."Delaware" Them...."Oh

what state's that in?" Us.........."It is a state on the east coast." Them...."Oh, near China?" Am I on Jay Walking?

Every cruise current..........Where are you from?" Us, "Delaware" Them, "Oh have you ever met Joe Biden?"

(actually, yes, and our kid played school sports against his kid, but we do not want to talk politics on a cruise.............like the Palin question above)

Great topic and fun reading.....keep it going!