Embarkation day lunch options

toyotaford

We will have a group of 16 on the Gem in September. Some are in suites and some are not so trying to decide on lunch options for embarkation day. I know buffet and Blue Lagoon are open but not sure about the main dining room. Anyone know for sure? We don't want to split up with some in Cagney's and others not.

Hello there! Always nice to see your posts.

I don't know about the Gem specifically, but on all of the NCL ships we've been on, the AFT MDR has been open for lunch on embarkation day. It may not open until 12:00-12:30, but worth the wait.

Super unlikely that you wouldn't all be able to sit in the same area, or a long table, or 2 tables for 8 side by side, as the MDR's are not busy that first day.

It's that tough situation where some of you are in suites and others are not, and therefore can't have many of your meals together. At the risk of sounding snobbish, we've given up on cruising with friends or family members who are not in suites.

Hello there! Always nice to see your posts.

I don't know about the Gem specifically, but on all of the NCL ships we've been on, the AFT MDR has been open for lunch on embarkation day. It may not open until 12:00-12:30, but worth the wait.

Super unlikely that you wouldn't all be able to sit in the same area, or a long table, or 2 tables for 8 side by side, as the MDR's are not busy that first day.

It's that tough situation where some of you are in suites and others are not, and therefore can't have many of your meals together. At the risk of sounding snobbish, we've given up on cruising with friends or family members who are not in suites.

Hi Hikini. Good to hear from you. This is some of our Sunday School class members. There will be 6 of us in the GV and the other 10 are in regular rooms. We will sneak off to Cagneys for a few meals but want to spend most of the time with them. This will be their first cruise on NCL and I hope they will enjoy it as much as we do. We all went to Alaska last year on Princess.

Every time I've sailed on the Gem, the MDR has been open for lunch on embarkation day. We usually go directly there with the luggage if the rooms aren't available yet. Calm, quiet, and usually not too busy.

We always use the MDR on embarkation day. It's usually not very crowded (like the buffet) and you have time to kill before you cabin is ready. The crew will try to steer you to the buffet but just ask which dining room is open.

We always use the MDR on embarkation day. It's usually not very crowded (like the buffet) and you have time to kill before you cabin is ready. The crew will try to steer you to the buffet but just ask which dining room is open.

We have also encountered the "steering" towards the buffet. We start by following the flow as that is where they usually have tables set up for dinner reservations, wine purchases, Chef's Table, etc. There is also usually an area where you can "check" your carry on luggage. After all that is done, we swim against the flow, back tracking past the entry point and on to the MDR. We actually had a crew person once ask us where we were going. It seems they really want you to use the buffet.

Another trick is to pack swim suits in a small bag. Go to lunch, change and head up top and enjoy the hot tubs. Because of your smart thinking, you will be the only people in the hot tubs for quite a while.

Hi Hikini. Good to hear from you. This is some of our Sunday School class members. There will be 6 of us in the GV and the other 10 are in regular rooms. We will sneak off to Cagneys for a few meals but want to spend most of the time with them. This will be their first cruise on NCL and I hope they will enjoy it as much as we do. We all went to Alaska last year on Princess.

Do tell! How would you compare PCL to NCL?

How nice for those 10 other folks who will get to at least enjoy the GV here and there as your guests. And yes, you'll have to sneak off to Cagney's - but I think it's now Moderno where the suite guests go to eat B&L. We'll find out in September! 6 weeks from today in fact. :D

No risk at all. It is snobbish

When you are in a suite you have the added privilege of dining in another venue that is reserved only for guests in suites. If you travel with those who are not in suites, they don't have the same privilege. So, if we all want to be together, then we are in agreement before we book the cruise, that all are in suites, or none are. Therefore, no problem dining together.

And since we enjoy the suites so much, for a myriad of reasons, we choose to cruise only in suites.

Yes, they often have 1 or 2 crew members standing near the MDR and they will ask something like, "Are you looking to have lunch?….the buffet is open on deck 12…."

But they also do make announcements as the embarkation process continues on, mentioning which restaurants are open and they do mention the MDR.

When you are in a suite you have the added privilege of dining in another venue that is reserved only for guests in suites. If you travel with those who are not in suites, they don't have the same privilege. So, if we all want to be together, then we are in agreement before we book the cruise, that all are in suites, or none are. Therefore, no problem dining together.

And since we enjoy the suites so much, for a myriad of reasons, we choose to cruise only in suites.

Lucky you. I am sure you will enjoy your cruises keeping together with the upper echelon and making sure you keep well away from the passengers in steerage.

Very excited about our cruise!! Going to CA/NE in October on Gem. We originally booked a suite, but decided this time to save the extra $ and are now in a BB. Our friends that are meeting us are in an interior cabin. They like that. They are all nice (cabins). Suites do have wonderful privileges, though. It is all good!!!I am happy to know the MDR will be open, we might have missed that embarkation day, and after flights and such, it will be a welcome respite!!! Thank you!

Lucky you. I am sure you will enjoy your cruises keeping together with the upper echelon and making sure you keep well away from the passengers in steerage.

I don't know why you're so miserable, but I hope you get over it! :D

We will have a group of 16 on the Gem in September. Some are in suites and some are not so trying to decide on lunch options for embarkation day. I know buffet and Blue Lagoon are open but not sure about the main dining room. Anyone know for sure? We don't want to split up with some in Cagney's and others not.

Hi there,

So what's the problem? The main dining room is open on embark day. Why can't you all meet and eat there? no problem....They are have nice menu and new menus are now available on most ships. I'm sure you can have a lovely, quiet and relaxing lunch there...Have a cocktail and enjoy

Have a great time:D

I don't know why you're so miserable, but I hope you get over it! :D

At the risk of replying direct to your comment which is not exactly on topic, it was the fact that you appear to be turning your nose up at anybody who was not cruising in a suite, implying (to me) that you are the typical snob cruiser that upsts so many people and puts many of trying it out. You would have fiited in perfectly with the latest Cruise Line television programme currently being shown on television where everybody seemed to trying to outdo everybody else. So if you wish to make personal comments to me, be prepared to look at what you sounded like. OK?:)