Cruise and land tour in Sept

jess3620

Hi all!

I have been researching all morning and I am finding some great info but I still have a few questions.

I cruised to Alaska last year in May on NCL's Sun. I had a wonderful time, but there is so much more I want to see and do. So, I decided that I would like to take a trip back to Alaska next summer.

Some info about me: I am a female in my early 30's. I traveled with a friend last year, but will be making this trip by myself next year. I love seeing the wildlife and being in nature. The excursions we took last year included a lumberjack show and totem pole viewing in Ketchikan, whale watching and panning for gold in Juneau, and meeting the sled dogs and panning for gold in Skagway.

I would like to do some more adventurous excursions such as taking a flight plane/helicopter and walking on a glacier, zip-lining, bear viewing and taking the train to Emerald Lake in Skagway.

I would like to take the Sun northbound from Vancouver to Seward. I have booked my cruise for Aug 31-Sept 7. I thought this would be a good option because of the price of traveling alone, but I am finding that some of the excursions in Seward are not offered this late in the season. I would love to take a tour of the Kenai Fjords. Has anyone traveled at this time and been on a tour? This year it shows one of the last tours (a 6hr cruise and not my 1st choice) is on Sunday Sept 14th. Even if there is one last cruise next year at this time, I would have to stay in Seward for almost an entire week (the cruise ends in Seward on Mon). I want to travel further north in Alaska so staying in Seward for a week is not an option.

I also would love to see the northern lights so I know traveling later in the season will give me the best chance of seeing them.

I still have a ton of research to do but would love any advice on traveling in Sept and if the tours will be available.

Thanks so much!!

Jess

Edited by jess3620

Kenai Fjords Tours offers the 11:30am departure until the end of Sept.

http://www.kenaifjords.com/day-cruises/national-park-tour/

If you want to find out about any tours, you'll need to look at each web site for specific information. You're travelling during a shoulder season so you will find that some vendors, lodging etc start closing down after Labor Day. If you plan on visiting Denali, be sure to check the bus schedules.

Most ports have a web site with info to support local tourism and vendors. Google the towns name with visitor information or chamber of commerce. Many will send you a free visitor guide.

http://www.seward.com

http://www.kenaipeninsula.org

Kenai Fjords Tours offers the 11:30am departure until the end of Sept.

http://www.kenaifjords.com/day-cruises/national-park-tour/

If you want to find out about any tours, you'll need to look at each web site for specific information. You're travelling during a shoulder season so you will find that some vendors, lodging etc start closing down after Labor Day. If you plan on visiting Denali, be sure to check the bus schedules.

Most ports have a web site with info to support local tourism and vendors. Google the towns name with visitor information or chamber of commerce. Many will send you a free visitor guide.

www.seward.com

www.kenaipeninsula.org

Thank you mapleleaves! I am not sure how I missed the tour that goes until the end Sept. Again, it's not my 1st choice, as I would like to take one of the longer cruises but I think it would still be a great way to experience Kenai Fjords. :)

I just checked the Denali schedule and in Sept 2015 they run through the 17th so I should be okay with that if i choose to go there (it is on my list of places I want to see).

I will also check out the sites you mentioned.

I am starting to wonder if it would be better to move my cruise to a different date or just forgo the cruise and do a land portion. Or stick with my scheduled cruise and have another reason to go back at a later date :rolleyes:

I have done some more research and it appears that most people suggest taking the longer 9 hour Kenai Fjord tour, as you have more opportunity to see wildlife. This is the tour I wanted to take.

My question is, would it be worth it to change my cruise (thus spending more money on the cruise portion) to be able to take the longer Kenai Fjord tour?

Changing my cruise will also decrease the chance of seeing the northern lights, but then there is no guarantee that I will see them in Sept either. (I believe the end of Sept/Oct there is a better chance??)

Thanks again for any advice on this! I missed out on so much on my first cruise that I don't want to miss out again :)

I have done some more research and it appears that most people suggest taking the longer 9 hour Kenai Fjord tour, as you have more opportunity to see wildlife. This is the tour I wanted to take.

My question is, would it be worth it to change my cruise (thus spending more money on the cruise portion) to be able to take the longer Kenai Fjord tour?

Changing my cruise will also decrease the chance of seeing the northern lights, but then there is no guarantee that I will see them in Sept either. (I believe the end of Sept/Oct there is a better chance??)

Thanks again for any advice on this! I missed out on so much on my first cruise that I don't want to miss out again :)

If you want to see "northern lights", best, is to get to Fairbanks, and have an additional week there. It is an overall low chance of sightings if you do not add time. Expecting to see them over a day or two, is not likely to have good results. Not only does the predictions have to be "active", you also must have clear dark skies. I've been in Alaska over 3 weeks, and "north" (Fairbanks and above) for about a week. NO nights with clear skies. Yes, I know no chance of any aurora now, but, only responding about the weather. :)

I have seen aurora many times, earliest being mid August. So a "possibility" in your timeframe. One issue with your Kenai Fjords thinking, the Northwestern glacier cruise is excellent, but a regular park tour with at least 6 hours on the water is very good. Taking this tour twice could be another option to consider. At least one vendor discounts the second trip. I always go out multiple times, with next week having 4 trips booked. Each is very different from the others. :) Additional about your timeframe, puffins will likely be gone second week of Sept. if of any priority.

If you want to see "northern lights", best, is to get to Fairbanks, and have an additional week there. It is an overall low chance of sightings if you do not add time. Expecting to see them over a day or two, is not likely to have good results. Not only does the predictions have to be "active", you also must have clear dark skies. I've been in Alaska over 3 weeks, and "north" (Fairbanks and above) for about a week. NO nights with clear skies. Yes, I know no chance of any aurora now, but, only responding about the weather. :)

I have seen aurora many times, earliest being mid August. So a "possibility" in your timeframe. One issue with your Kenai Fjords thinking, the Northwestern glacier cruise is excellent, but a regular park tour with at least 6 hours on the water is very good. Taking this tour twice could be another option to consider. At least one vendor discounts the second trip. I always go out multiple times, with next week having 4 trips booked. Each is very different from the others. :) Additional about your timeframe, puffins will likely be gone second week of Sept. if of any priority.

Thanks so much for all the advice! I was planning on spending around 2 days in Seward then making my way further north. I was debating if I wanted to do Denali NP this visit or not so if I have to forgo it to have a better chance of seeing the northern lights than I may do so.

I live in MI and at times we are able to see the northern light in the UP. I am making a trip up there this summer so I may get the chance to see them then. But seeing them in Alaska is on my bucket list!

I feel much better knowing that the six hour tour will still offer a great experience. I would love to see puffins but if they are gone then it will okay. I saw many from the ship last year. So I will always have that memory :)

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks so much for all the advice! I was planning on spending around 2 days in Seward then making my way further north. I was debating if I wanted to do Denali NP this visit or not so if I have to forgo it to have a better chance of seeing the northern lights than I may do so.

I live in MI and at times we are able to see the northern light in the UP. I am making a trip up there this summer so I may get the chance to see them then. But seeing them in Alaska is on my bucket list!

I feel much better knowing that the six hour tour will still offer a great experience. I would love to see puffins but if they are gone then it will okay. I saw many from the ship last year. So I will always have that memory :)

Thanks again for your help!

I have seen aurora from Denali area, BUT, for superior chances- you must have a rental car, and not staying in Glitter Gulch. As an example, I like Denali Park Hotel, in Healy, and even from there, I jump in the car and drive to complete darkness to view aurora. Easy car access as your car is parked right out front of the room and room has direct outside access.