Gem Aft Balcony Differences?

yoboy08753

I was on NCL site looking at the deck plans for Gem and considering one of the aft suites on deck 8. The cabin on the port aft side was available (8630). Up popped one of those 'let's chat' so I went on and asked what it is that's right beside 8630 as the deck plans just show a blank space. The chatter told me it is where they store the window washing equipment. When I mentioned deck 8 aft she added that a lot of cruisers complained about the cabins there because they are noisy. The bowling is right underneath them. She suggested I try for deck 10 as the balconies are bigger. I had seen that cabin 10664 was available and she said to grab it. That it has the largest balcony of them all. Anyone seen what it looks like? I did take her advice and book it.

Could the person who said they would take pictures see if it is possible to get a picture of this balcony? Maybe from above? Never been on the Gem so I don't know it at all. Never booked a suite before either.

10664 and 10164 are the same size; 10166 and 10666 are the same size. The end ones, like 10664, have a slight curve to the balcony so it is a tiny bit smaller than the 2 that are not on the end. I mean a very slight difference. i do have a pic of all of these balconies just have to figure out how to load them.

I do agree deck 10 has the best (deepest) balconies on this class of ship so the agent you talked to was partly right; but not correct that 10664 has largest balcony. ENJOY!!!

Edited by mizlorinj

10664 and 10164 are the same size; 10166 and 10666 are the same size. The end ones, like 10664, have a slight curve to the balcony so it is a tiny bit smaller than the 2 that are not on the end. I mean a very slight difference. i do have a pic of all of these balconies just have to figure out how to load them.

I do agree deck 10 has the best (deepest) balconies on this class of ship so the agent you talked to was partly right; but not correct that 10664 has largest balcony. ENJOY!!!

Thank you for the explanation. I was hoping that the balcony for the two end cabins curved around the side making them larger, not smaller. I've seen some balconies like that. Oh well, aft is great anyway. I believe it was the only cabin left on deck 10 aft.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the explanation. I was hoping that the balcony for the two end cabins curved around the side making them larger, not smaller. I've seen some balconies like that. Oh well, aft is great anyway. I believe it was the only cabin left on deck 10 aft.

We've been in both the end and the one next to it on deck 10 . There difference in the size of the balcony is so slight you probably won't notice it.

Just to clarify for anyone reading this thread, on the Jewel Class ships only the middle two cabins on decks 8, 9, and 10 are aft-facing balconies. The others are penthouse suites.

Regarding soot, in three cruises we noticed a very small amount a few times (in three cruises) but nothing like yoboy described. We just wiped the furniture with a towel before we sat down. It wasn't an issue at all. We had a forward facing penthouse on our last cruise and, although the deck was huge, it was so windy we didn't enjoy it as much. We back aft on the next one.