Uber from FLL to port

HUNKY

There are several different types of Uber. Uber (black) are licensed chauffeurs of luxury sedans and SUV's.

Fire...you are referring to UberX, where ordinary folks drive their personal vehicles. Ride sharing, like paying your friend for gas when they take you to the airport.

Anyways, as Uber is not a taxi, but a prearranged service, I don't see how/why those drivers would need a "hack" license.

So, is Uber (black) in Ft. Lauderdale yet?

I live in NYC and here they are regulated by the taxi and limo commission. They need to have the name ID, etc as a car service you would call.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I took a Lyft from the Bonnet House to FLL after a bad experience with a taxi driver who took us from the Port to the Bonnet House.

The Lyft driver was telling us that they have to be careful with picking up/dropping off at the port and at the airport. The police actually track drivers using the Uber and Lyft apps. Our driver was telling us that the police gave him a warning the one time he dropped people off at the port.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone done this recently? I arrive in FLL 11am on May24th and am hoping that either Lyft or Uber is available to take me to the Port. Are they still banned? How's the reliability on cruise departure days?

Edited by drumdrumdrum

Has anyone done this recently? I arrive in FLL 11am on May24th and am hoping that either Lyft or Uber is available to take me to the Port. Are they still banned? How's the reliability on cruise departure days?

The Broward County Board is scheduled to make a decision tomorrow (April 28).

From the local Sun-Sentinel newspaper http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...4-story.html:

Commissioners will vote on the reforms April 28, including a requirement for more rigorous mechanical inspections of vehicles. Separately, they'll vote on a new law legalizing Uber and other so-called "transportation network companies.''

Edited by capriccio

The Broward County Board is scheduled to make a decision tomorrow (April 28).

From the local Sun-Sentinel newspaper http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...4-story.html:

Commissioners will vote on the reforms April 28, including a requirement for more rigorous mechanical inspections of vehicles. Separately, they'll vote on a new law legalizing Uber and other so-called "transportation network companies.''

An update (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-uber-law-vote-20150428-story.html):

commissioners on Tuesday passed a sweeping new law regulating app-based ride services such as
, despite the company's threat to leave town if they did.

The new regulations legalize services including Uber and Lyft, whose drivers use their personal vehicles. But the law left intact tough provisions that Uber said would make it impossible to operate in Broward.

Each driver will be required to register with the county, submit to a county-run fingerprint-based background check, and carry the heightened insurance state law requires for commercial vehicles for hire...

Uber had hoped state legislators would have passed a law preventing local governments from regulating it, as well as setting insurance and background check requirements for drivers. But the House adjourned its session Tuesday without passing an Uber bill.