Where is the Breakaway going?

johnnypiano

And now there gone fast and efficient god bless the USA Coast Guard and God speed and prayers for the injured and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Years ago, we were on the Norwegian Majesty sailing out of Boston to Bermuda. A crew member needed to be evacuated for her appendix. The coast guard dropped their man down in rough seas and driving rain and pulled it off flawlessly.

It was an impressive show of skill and bravery.

They do tremendous work.

Per local news, a child sustained a head injury falling off their bunk. Reported to be in stable condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the update. Appreciate it.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Praying for this little boy to make a full recovery--how scary!

Like CTCruisers, we also witnessed a USCG med evac at sea on the Majesty from Boston to Bermuda. On an extremely windy sea day enroute to Bermuda, a woman walking on the promenade deck was thrown against the side of the ship by a heavy wind gust, sustaining a serious head injury and went into a coma. The USCG dispatched a helicopter to take her and her husband to a hospital back on shore. Later in the cruise, the CD announced they received word that she was stable and doing better. It was quite an awesome opertation to see. My DH was so proud, as having been in the Coast Guard, he knew what they were up against during this whole operation with the ship still underway with windy & choppy sea conditions.

Prayers for this little boy. Hope he is okay. How scary.

It never occurred to me that a child could be so seriously injured on a bunk bed that isn't that doesn't seem all that high. I will definitely not let my 4 yr old nephew sleep up there on our November cruise. Or are there rails that can be requested to make it safe?

Prayers for this little boy. Hope he is okay. How scary.

It never occurred to me that a child could be so seriously injured on a bunk bed that isn't that doesn't seem all that high. I will definitely not let my 4 yr old nephew sleep up there on our November cruise. Or are there rails that can be requested to make it safe?

There are rails on them.

There are rails ... but I personally would not let a 4-year old sleep up there. Kids will be kids, and 4 is just too young.

I have never sailed NCL but when I was on the Disney Wonder a while back, the bunk didn't seem extremely far from the ground. But then again, this is a 4 year old so I'm sure his age had a lot to do with it

Good to hear that the boy is stable. Maybe they'll be able to rendezvous with the ship in Bermuda and make the best of the vacation!

Just curious--how did you learn of this little boy's condition? Hoping he will be OK. It would be nice if the family could rejoin the cruise; however, as a parent (and grandparent), I think I might be too shook up after this incident.

Agree with other posters--a 4-yr. old is too young to be left alone up on a bunk, even with rails. A lesson learned the hard way for these folks.

Just curious--how did you learn of this little boy's condition? Hoping he will be OK. It would be nice if the family could rejoin the cruise; however' date=' as a parent (and grandparent), I think I might be too shook up after this incident.

Agree with other posters--a 4-yr. old is too young to be left alone up on a bunk, even with rails. A lesson learned the hard way for these folks.[/quote']

An earlier posted had shared this link to the article in the AC Press - http://www.nj.com/south/index.ssf/2014/07/cruise_ship_coast_guard_rendezvous_near_atlantic_city_to_rescue_4-year-old_boy_with_head_injury.html

The boy was reported to be in stable condition, according to the Coast Guard.

Just curious--how did you learn of this little boy's condition? Hoping he will be OK. It would be nice if the family could rejoin the cruise; however' date=' as a parent (and grandparent), I think I might be too shook up after this incident.

Agree with other posters--a 4-yr. old is too young to be left alone up on a bunk, even with rails. A lesson learned the hard way for these folks.[/quote']

Local online news- lists his condition as stable:

http://www.nj.com/south/index.ssf/2014/07/cruise_ship_coast_guard_rendezvous_near_atlantic_city_to_rescue_4-year-old_boy_with_head_injury.html

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/new-jersey/2014/07/29/coast-guard-evacuates-boy-cruise-ship-atlantic-city/13309155/

http://patch.com/new-jersey/ocean-city/coast-guard-medevacs-4-year-old-atlantic-city-coast

Edited by Johnny Bananas