Need help with seattle itinerary

My daughter and I arriving at noon the day before we leave for our cruise. We are staying at Hampton Inn near the space needle. We want to see either the Smith tower or Columbia tower, Chihuly Gardens and glass, one of the ferry rides to see the skyline, houseboats, and ballard locks, and maybe the ferris wheel. We want to maybe eat at the Bell street diner at pier 66.

My question is which order is the best for these places and any suggestions on the best transportation to get to each place. I have been reading these threads and I am more confused than ever.

Any advice as to which ferry to take to see the best views would be appreciated.

Thank you for the help.

My daughter and I arriving at noon the day before we leave for our cruise. We are staying at Hampton Inn near the space needle. We want to see either the Smith tower or Columbia tower, Chihuly Gardens and glass, one of the ferry rides to see the skyline, houseboats, and ballard locks, and maybe the ferris wheel. We want to maybe eat at the Bell street diner at pier 66.

My question is which order is the best for these places and any suggestions on the best transportation to get to each place. I have been reading these threads and I am more confused than ever.

Any advice as to which ferry to take to see the best views would be appreciated.

Thank you for the help.

The Chihuly exhibit is at the foot of the Space Needle, so easily walkable from your hotel.

All the others are located along the central waterfront and/or at the southern end of the downtown core.

Assuming you're departing in the afternoon of the following day, my suggestion would be to take the No. 4 bus (close to the hotel - directions from the front desk) down to the Smith Tower. (The bus will change its number to the No. 3 downtown, but just stay on.) The Smith Tower is at 2nd and James; the bus will stop at 3rd and James, so a block east of the tower. http://smithtower.com/ http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/

After visiting the Smith Tower and the Chinese Room, walk down (2 blocks) to the waterfront and turn right, heading to the Argosy Cruise dock at Pier 55.

Take a "locks cruise" on Argosy, which will give you the skyline, Ballard locks, and Lake Union houseboats all in one. The ferries, while less expensive, won't give you the locks or Lake Union, and you don't have time for separate tours. The Argosy trip is a lot of fun. http://www.argosycruises.com/sightseeing-cruises/locks-cruise/

You'll be bused back to the dock following the tour of Lake Union, then it's a very short walk up to the Bell Street Diner (Pier 66) when you're done. I'd probably take a cab from the Diner back to the hotel rather than climbing the bluff back to downtown and playing bus yoga once you do.

I'd visit Chihuly the next morning.

If you have time do the underground Seattle tour. It starts right near the smith tower and lasts 75 minutes. We did both and got a coupon from one for $ off on the other. Had a really interesting guide. The tours start on the hour (and the 1/2 hr in the summer).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

thank you for the help. This is what I was looking for. We were planning on doing Pikes Market the following morning. I am not sure we would have enough time for that and Chihuly.

Go to the Pike Place (no "s") market first thing - even for breakfast, and plan to be gone before 10:30 due to horrendous crowds during cruise season. Take the monorail back to Seattle Center, see Chihuly (an hour is ample) then back to the hotel and down to the ship.

thank you for the help. This is what I was looking for. We were planning on doing Pikes Market the following morning. I am not sure we would have enough time for that and Chihuly.

A bit subjective but the Chihuly exhibit is a better night venue. You might consider it the first night you arrive. As Gardyloo mentioned it's an easy walk from your hotel.

Thank you!

Another question which is better Smith tower or Columbia tower? How would I get to Columbia Tower?

You'd get to the Columbia Tower by taking the same bus as for the Smith Tower, but get off a block or two earlier (Columbia or Cherry Sts.) and walk a block east (uphill) to 4th.

There's a saying in Seattle on how to remember street names running south-to-north. "Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Protest" - Jefferson, James, Cherry, Columbia, Marion, Madison, University, Union, Pike, Pine.

I personally prefer the Smith Tower because it's more historic (formerly the tallest building east of the Mississippi) and because you can walk all the way around outside on a view balcony. The Chinese Room (where the viewing deck is located) is full of very cool antiques, gifts from Chinese royalty to Mr. Smith, as in typewriters and guns.

Manned elevators, too. Very old school.

Edited by Gardyloo

The Argosy tour of the locks and lake Washington house boats is wonderful. But be warned when we took it my sister made the mistake of eating a sandwich from their snack bar. She had horrible food poisoning from it. So if you take the tour avoid the food.