Concerned parent

Trend

We took our autistic 5 year old on voyager & he ran non stop for 10nights & days. There was not a chance if him going over board. The ships are very safe with high railings. Think about a travel lock for your cabin to stop him escaping whilst you get some sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There was a toddler on one of our cruises who was a runner. Th minute the cabin door would open he'd be off in a shot. Think they were more concerned with him going head first down the staircase than going overboard - although I do remember reading about a one-year-old who slipped under a railing and fell to the next deck. In any event, once the dad would catch our little neighbor, out would come an adorable little stuffed animal backpack with a leash! They knew their child well and came prepared.

On most ships you can pretty much avoid decks with railings without any problrem. The main pool decks often have floor to ceiling windows rather than railings. You have to go higher or out on the Promenade deck to find railings.

Best,

Mia

If you are talking about a toddler- they absolutely can not fall or climb up and fall. Stop worrying. The only thing you need to do is stay behind them because they can and do run down the halls and find the ship to be an exciting playground. My son would go right to the steps when he was little. I climbed many many steps.

I did once 'rescue' a 3-year-old who had run away from Dad, up the steps, and was standing on a chair by the ship's rail. But even then, I don't think he could have fallen over, his centre of gravity wasn't high enough.

As long as you're within chasing difference and don't let him get out of sight, you'll be able to stop him before he throws himself off. There's no chance whatsoever of him getting under the rail. Just make sure you're wearing clothes you can swim in, in case he finds the pool! ;)