Can you use flat irons for hair in italy?

2funlovin

Not sure if there is previous info on this topic - I have read on the packaging of voltage converters "not to be used with flat irons" . Why is that? Any other options available? We are taking a land trip there in October and staying in an apartment and hotel. Thanks for your input!

Not sure if there is previous info on this topic - I have read on the packaging of voltage converters "not to be used with flat irons" . Why is that? Any other options available? We are taking a land trip there in October and staying in an apartment and hotel. Thanks for your input!

First, if you have not already done so, we suggest checking your flat iron to see if it will work on 220 Volts. Most are designed for 110-240 Volts which would be fine in Europe. If not, you might consider just buying another Flat Iron which can handle the duel voltages.

Otherwise, you need a "high wattage" voltage converter. Some voltage converters are only intended for lower wattage appliances...which we suspect is the kind you were looking at when you read the warning. Most of the high watt (or duel low-high) sell for more then $20 and weigh over a pound. Many years ago DW found that it just made more sense to buy duel voltage appliances (like Flat Irons and hair dryers) since they usually cost no more then the old 110-120 volt appliances.

Hank

Take one and see if it works. If not, find a hairdresser. There will be plenty that can flat iron your hair. It will make for a good story. I would take a picture of how you like your hair to look. I don't know how long your trip will be but October should be dry and low humidity- so it will last 2-4 days depending if you get it wet in the shower or rain.

If all else fails- find out from the concierge where the closest store is that sells beauty and hair supplies (tell them you need a flat iron for your hair).

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

And even appliances that are meant to work on dual voltage don't work the same, at least not appliances that heat up. I've found that they just don't get as hot or work as well in Europe.

I've never been fully satisfied with the dual voltage hair appliances. Since we travel a lot we finally just gave in and bought a flat iron and blow dryer in Italy several years ago. If you're thinking about taking more than one trip to Europe you might consider doing the same. Additionally you can go online and purchase 220 appliances here, and it's normally a little cheaper - currently amazon has 220 only flat irons starting around $90.

Barbara

After reading the last couple of posts I had to ask DW about using her appliances in Europe (keep in mind we do a lot of international travel). Her travel dryer is an old Sassoon model which has a 120-240 switch on the handle. She says it works perfectly fine on either voltage. And she also has no problem with her Flat Iron so I guess it just depends on which model/brand you purchase. The reason we do not buy the European appliances is because we travel so many places that we want something that works everywhere. Mexico, our winter home, is actually on 110. And then you can get to some places in Asia that use 50 cycle current which can be a real problem with some appliances.

Hank

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. I checked my hair dryer and there is a switch to change to 250 but the converter should work with it anyway. The flat iron is not dual voltage. May have to get new one anyway! I guess this is just one of the little inconveniences I'll experience while being in a different country - Boy, how we get spoiled, huh?

Hair dryers switch easily, I've never had a problem. However I have melted a curling iron and two flat irons. One literally melted, smoke, lots of popping noises. . . Either buy a European one or go without.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Take one and see if it works. If not, find a hairdresser. There will be plenty that can flat iron your hair. It will make for a good story. I would take a picture of how you like your hair to look. I don't know how long your trip will be but October should be dry and low humidity- so it will last 2-4 days depending if you get it wet in the shower or rain.

Really?? THIS is a solution? SMH.

... you might consider just buying another Flat Iron which can handle the duel voltages.

Otherwise, you need a "high wattage" voltage converter. Some voltage converters are only intended for lower wattage appliances...which we suspect is the kind you were looking at when you read the warning. Most of the high watt (or duel low-high) sell for more then $20 and weigh over a pound. Many years ago DW found that it just made more sense to buy duel voltage appliances (like Flat Irons and hair dryers) since they usually cost no more then the old 110-120 volt appliances.

A friend who owns a rental apartment in Italy once jokingly explained that she routinely keeps a hair dryer in the apartment because she was tired of dealing with the problems caused by renters plugging in inappropriate equipment. Obviously, a hair dryer is not a flat iron, but the OP should ask what is provided by the apartment.

High wattage appliances like hair dryers and, presumably flat irons, tend to underperform even on a converter. I suspect the problem is that European power is not only a different wattage but also a different Hertz (a measure of electric wave frequency). If I were going to buy anything, I'd buy a flat iron in Italy. You could then use it anywhere you visit in Europe with a plug adapter.

I bought a set of travel-sized hot rollers and they seem to work equally well at home, on board ship, and in Europe. I have been thrilled with this purchase, hate having hair issues! I would check Amazon and read the reviews--that's what I did.

Hopefully dual voltage heating appliances have improved since I last had one, a couple of years ago.

My dual voltage hair dryer had a switch to go from one voltage to the other; there may have been some internal change that happened when I flipped the switch that I couldn't see, but what I could see was that the change prevented me from using the dryer on the highest/hottest setting.

So yes, it turned on but I could only use it on a low setting.

That's when I went out and bought a cheap Italian blow dryer.

Just read a few more posts that I had missed earlier. Once again, thanks so much for your input. I may just wait and get flat iron in Italy or may try Sally's here. I have a little time left to decide for sure. :)