Rules seem to have changed??

jansarts

Hi, we've sailed on MSC 3 times, reading comments about the Divina, It seems the rules have changed since our last MSC cruise 18 months ago. We were always allow to bring a bottle of wine each,per adult, and some water, and non-alcoholic beer, As long it was in our carry-on not in the luggage. Has this changed? also I'm curious, does anyone know if they still sell or we can use drink vouchers for non-alcoholic beer on board? Dh likes his beer but is allergic to alcohol. Customer service gives many different answers...:confused:

Hi, we've sailed on MSC 3 times, reading comments about the Divina, It seems the rules have changed since our last MSC cruise 18 months ago. We were always allow to bring a bottle of wine each,per adult, and some water, and non-alcoholic beer, As long it was in our carry-on not in the luggage. Has this changed? also I'm curious, does anyone know if they still sell or we can use drink vouchers for non-alcoholic beer on board? Dh likes his beer but is allergic to alcohol. Customer service gives many different answers...:confused:

When I called a month ago they told me that we were not allowed to bring any liquids on unless special circumstances for a cpap machine. But I had read prior that people brought on pop/water. Maybe should just try it anyways.

The official line across the MSC fleet remains the same: no food or drink to be brought aboard. Not even a bottle of water.

In practice, as in your past experience, the rule is patchily applied. You can try but be prepared to have the offending item taken off you to be delivered to your cabin on the last night.

The official line across the MSC fleet remains the same: no food or drink to be brought aboard. Not even a bottle of water.

In practice, as in your past experience, the rule is patchily applied. You can try but be prepared to have the offending item taken off you to be delivered to your cabin on the last night.

I always travel with granola bars because I am hypoglycemic, and I need to carry non-perishable snacks with me at all times in case my blood sugar drops too low. Will I be allowed to bring granola bars onboard?

Yes you are allowed to do that, we metioned it with our booking we needed granola bars for medical reasons and they send us a medical form we needed to fill so that they where aware of it.

Did they e-mail the medical form to you? Wow it seems over the top restrictive that you have to jump through hoops just to be able to bring a personal snack item which I keep in my purse.

Did they e-mail the medical form to you? Wow it seems over the top restrictive that you have to jump through hoops just to be able to bring a personal snack item which I keep in my purse.

In the past on other cruise lines we always brought snacks, candy, pop, water, energy drinks and no one ever said anything. I agree it Seems strange that they are so strict.

Hi,

We also needed special water and crackers to bring with us.

They emailed us a pdf. for medical issues such as wheelchair user etc and also for dietary use, we noted this on this form to be sure we could bring this without problems.

Maybe it is not neccasary we just did it for being safe.

They really don't have any reason to restrict snacks. The soda/wine restriction is about revenue, but they generally will only go so far since being really strict will anger customers. In the old days, people could/would bring on lots of booze which undoubtedly cut into revenue. A dozen sodas or a few glasses of wine vs. a liter of hard liquor is a totally different question in terms of revenue.

I would bet the medical form is so you/they have some insurance against some agent at the port creating a problem. We bring the form for DWs CPAP also, but have never had an issue. I keep 2 extension cords (12ft and 9ft) in the case, which handles pretty much any cabin/room. The cruise lines occasional crack down on extension cords due to 'fire hazard', but we've never had a problem with the medical exception. I also bring clean and good quality cords, which might help.

Keep in mind that there are restrictions on what you can bring back onto land. That is the law, not cruise line policy.

I always bring granola type bars on hols with me "just in case" and have never been stopped boarding the ship with them. I even leave the box that the bars come in on the table in the cabin and never had any problems.

How are the MSC crew going to know if you have food in your bags? As far as I know, the xray machines will only show up liquids.

Keep in mind that there are restrictions on what you can bring back onto land. That is the law, not cruise line policy.

The bars I bring are individually wrapped Kashi granola bars. I also bring individually wrapped organic peanut butter cups. Both of these items are in their original, unopened wrappers from the factory. I do bring a Kashi bar ashore with me to every port, but it is not fresh food/produce so there should be no problem.

I am hoping not too restrictive on bringing sodas. I only drink Mtn Dew which they don't sell and I hate Coke products. I always bring on some sodas mostly as I will get a horrible headache without the caffeine. My soda is like other's coffee. Even if I can't bring onboard, I still won't drink their sodas so it won't cut into their revenue from me.

What you have to understand with MSC is that there is a policy (like no food or drink to be brought onboard) and then there is the enforcing of said policy which can be miles apart.

From some recent reports, they may be getting a bit more enthusiastic in the US (perhaps the record low fares mean they make sure no one is bringing booze onboard). I always have water in my bag at embarkation and at every port and the Mossad boys don't care. Other times I've had tea bags and granola type bars, they have also not cared a damn. Even when I came onboard at Napoli with a large bottle of limoncello in a limoncello carrier bag, they politely handed it over to me with a smile. Likewise with rum in Martinique. Perhaps if I'd come on with a case I'd have gotten a reaction.

Make no mistake, they are completely on the ball when it comes to security. Bring a knife onboard (even if it is just to cut your oranges - sorry Tim!), they will notice and they will confiscate it.

What you have to understand with MSC is that there is a policy (like no food or drink to be brought onboard) and then there is the enforcing of said policy which can be miles apart.

Make no mistake, they are completely on the ball when it comes to security. Bring a knife onboard (even if it is just to cut your oranges - sorry Tim!), they will notice and they will confiscate it.

Yes, I never got that knife back and I went without luggage until almost midnight because of it.

I agree the Mossad boys are totally switched on in a way that Italian security would never be. They are like a separate species onboard MSC ships. What they let through, they do in full knowledge and not because they miss it.

If the bar manager is feeling the pinch of low revenues, word will go out to forbid any drink being brought on board. The policy can be 'turned up' upon demand. The official policy is clear - no food or drink. Attempt to take anything at your own risk.

'Granola'. This has to be tackled. I had never heard of the word until on the QE2. I have found that Granola is now available in supermarkets in the UK. To me, it is very sweet and unhealthy, sugar-encrusted muesli-based product. MSC have excellent muesli without the excess sugar. You can pour on honey if you need to. There is certainly no 'health' need to smuggle 'granola bars' onboard.