"Get a balcony for the price of an oceanview rates",is it true?

evamam

This is our family's first cruise travel. We booked a November NCL JEWEL trip via the ncl.com three weeks ago. I was prompted with "You'll also get FREE balcony and stateroom upgrades on almost every sailing.", I chose Oceanview when it prompted "Get a balcony for the price of an oceanview rates". However, we have not received any further notifications/instructions for room upgrade. Our room booking status shows "Category: OK". Anyone knows how to get the upgrade to a balcony ? Is this a real deal? What should I do to get the upgrade? Thank you

I believe you would have seen right below the category you chose an "upgrade" button. Only some categories included the upgrade. OK is an Oceanview, and you would have chose a balcony right away. I would call today to straighten it out, because that promotion ends tomorrow. Good luck!

Edited by douglasap8

There would have been a dark blue box under where you click select that said " upgrade".

I see OA category can upgrade to balcony but I don't see any upgrade for OK.

I would call if you want to get this deal- you will probably have to switch to OA category to be eligible

There would have been a dark blue box under where you click select that said " upgrade".

I see OA category can upgrade to balcony but I don't see any upgrade for OK.

I would call if you want to get this deal- you will probably have to switch to OA category to be eligible

I second this... the way NCL online books its 'free upgrades' is confusing.

Category OK is an Obstructed Oceanview that does not offer upgrades. Category OA is the only Oceanview with a free upgrade to Category BD (Forward Balcony). At today's price, to get your free upgrade you would need to pay $210 more per person.

Best to call today and change it if you want a balcony. Then watch the prices in case they drop. Then call again to get the new price you see.

This is our family's first cruise travel. We booked a November NCL JEWEL trip via the ncl.com three weeks ago. I was prompted with "You'll also get FREE balcony and stateroom upgrades on almost every sailing.", I chose Oceanview when it prompted "Get a balcony for the price of an oceanview rates". However, we have not received any further notifications/instructions for room upgrade. Our room booking status shows "Category: OK". Anyone knows how to get the upgrade to a balcony ? Is this a real deal? What should I do to get the upgrade? Thank you

If you booked a category OK you did not book a true ocean view but booked an 'obstructed view' which does not get the free upgrade. In order to get the upgrade offer you need to change your booking to an ocean view.

The free upgrades from one type of cabin (inside, ocean view, balcony, etc) to another are normally for specific level of cabin within that type to a specific level in the higher type (O1 -> BD, etc). Most of the times it is upgrading from one of the higher levels in one type to a lower level in the second type. (In my example above a higher level Ocean View is upgraded to a lower level Balcony.) Sometimes the upgrade is within the cabin type simply to a higher level (ID -> I2). Review all of the options for the cruise you want to book. If there is an upgrade available you will see a yellow UPGRADE button right below the SELECT button for the cabin you are considering. make sure that you look at the differences between he two cabins. Just because NCL considers it an upgrade does not automatically mena that it is a cabin that you would consider better. The upgrade fairy aside, the free upgrade is somethign that takes palce at the time you book and not something that is done after the fact.

Several couples booked cabins during a free upgrade promotion a few months back and in order to go from an OV to a balcony you had to purchase the most expensive OV.

^^Exactly. I just booked the "get a balcony for the price of an inside" on Epic. Had to purchase the family inside (which was higher priced than the lowest level balcony category) to get the free upgrade. However, I'm told that I will now qualify for additional upgrades. We'll see. My husband is not happy our cruise is costing several hundred dollars more than he thought it would, but I've transferred our booking to my travel agent and we'll see if we can get some perks by doing it that way. At least she can now watch the prices for us and get the better deals as they become/if they become available.