Nieuw Amsterdam, Noordam or Westerdam

Want2Cruise 701

New to Holland America. Have sailed other lines and we are not loyal to any other than X has provided us the best overall experience. We just want to try different itineraries.

All three sail the same week and itinerary. What is the difference? The Westerdam and Nieuw are pretty much the same price, but the Noordam IS significantly cheaper.

Any help distinguishing the three would be helpful. Thanks.

I'd pick the NA because I love the tamarind restaurant. I've also sailed on the other two and prefer the NA. The other two are a little older and smaller if you prefer that.

How do HAL's newer ships compare with the older ones. I know it's a matter of personal preference. The oldest ship we've sailed is the X Summit, and we think it's fine. We love that ship. Would you know how they compare to the Summit?

The Nieuw Amsterdam has the Silk Den for cocktails and the Tamarind Restaurant for Pan-Asian food -- extra cost. The Nieuw Amsterdam has the Lido Cabanas and Club Cabanas.

Noordam has only the Retreat Cabanas.

Westerdam does not have any of the above mentioned features.

Check the times you are in port -- we like to be in ports longer.

I would choose the Nieuw A just for the Tamarind. The NA does feel a little more crowded to me, especially in the Lido, and the Lido cabanas cut the number of tables available near pool to half of what the two Vista ships have.

Second choice Noordam,

Edited by jtl513

How do HAL's newer ships compare with the older ones. I know it's a matter of personal preference. The oldest ship we've sailed is the X Summit, and we think it's fine. We love that ship. Would you know how they compare to the Summit?

I have only been on two celebrity ships and the summit wasn't one of them. I'm thinking they would be similar. None of the ships here are that old.

I would pick the NA... The Tamarind, Silk Den, Lido Cabanas, and Retreat Cabanas are very nice areas on the ship. We have done all the ships mentioned above and we keep on coming back to the Eurodam and the NA for this reason. We have done five 14 day cruises on the NA and we've book the Eurodam for September this year and NA for Feb 2015...

Cheers

@krazy kruizers: is it correct the retreat cabanas on Noordam are not allowed for childeren?

we are sailing Noordam next 14th august from Barcelona and I'm thinking of a cabana reservation but I'm traveling with 2 kids :-)

@krazy kruizers: is it correct the retreat cabanas on Noordam are not allowed for childeren?

we are sailing Noordam next 14th august from Barcelona and I'm thinking of a cabana reservation but I'm traveling with 2 kids :-)

I know I'm not kraft cruiser but I can confirm that the retreat cabanas on the NA are not reserved to adults only. In fact there are 2 family retreat cabanas that are over size. On the other hand I cannot confirm if the Noordam has a different policy.

Cheers