Retreat Cabana & Thermal Spa: $ 499 each for 2

andrewjv1955

Well folks I finally upgraded to the Neptune Suite category "SC" instead of waiting for a up-sell or up-grade automatically for the 8-28-14 sailing out of Venice (12 days). At least now I know where I'lll be and what cabin I'll be in on the Upper Verandah deck and have the amenities and perks that I wanted to have instead of waiting to find out which "SS" cabin I'd be assigned to and waiting or not waiting for the upsell/upgrade.

Perhaps, if I am lucky, they'll move me from "SC" to "SB" or "SA" but if not I'll be happy in the cabin I have because its a Neptune Suite.

Now I have a question. My TA quoted me a price for both the cabana and a thermal spa pass for 2 people. This is a very port intensive cruise because it is the "Empires" cruise but there are some days where we'll just go ashore for a bit and come back (having been to Athens several times, for example).

Since the Neptune Suite has a nice verandah, I am not sure I need a cabana every single day....but my travel agent is advising me that I have to book for the entire cruise.

The same is true of the thermal spa which I really like because it is a refuge from the screaming children and a place to soak and relax. This is what she tells me:

"For the cabana or Retreat, it would need to be booked prior to sailing and for the entire trip duration. I would choose the ones in the secluded area and not by the pool, those are $499 for you both.

As for the Sap, I think you are referring to the Thermal Suite and Hydra pool. Again, this access must be booked prior to sailing and is for the duration of the cruise, not just for specific daily use. For one person, it is $299 , but if you purchase for two people at one time, there is a little bit of saving $ 499 for both."

So that is $ 1,000.00 (!!) for both the cabana and the spa.

I am wondering: is the cabana worth it?? I see where if you are there at 10 AM they bring you fresh fruit, etc. Do they also bring you champagne (is that included? I would hope so for those prices!!)??

Should I go ahead and book now????

What about the thermal spa? Does it get really really crowded?

This is one of these 'big trips' I've always wanted to do.

But I'm also thinking: the cabana would be great to have lunch in and enjoy it as our place than not to have it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It's hard to say if it's worth it. I love a cabana and have one booked for 14 days in November. I have a balcony but I know for sure I won't have to deal with smoking in the cabana. They bring "champagne" around in the afternoon. I believe the fruit is generally in a bowl in your cabana. The steward knew I liked kiwi so he would bring me some on a plate, peeled every day.

I've never tried the thermal loungers as it doesn't appeal to me at all. I do believe they limit the amount of people that can purchase it.

The cabanas are available for rental for single days IF they have not all sold out for the full cruise. Port days $45, sea days $75. If you decide to take that chance, go to the front desk ASAP after boarding, as single days can not be booked in advance.

Edited by jtl513

We love lido cabanas. We always book two cabanas next to each other and have the staff open the curtains between the two. This makes for a very large private space where we can sit and relax while checking what what's happening on deck. We actually prefer this to the retreat cabanas where it is more secluded. There is a little more action down on the lido deck and don't have to deal with the windy deck of the retreat cabanas.

We are sailing on a 14 day cruise this February which is very port intensive. Nonetheless, we already have pre purchased our cabanas nonetheless.

Cheers

On our July Eurodam cruise, they had a first day special of $199/couple ($149/single) for a thermal suite pass for the full cruise (12days). We bought a pass. It was busy the first days but as the cruise went on, there were times we had the place all to ourselves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

on the eurodam this march, I invested in the retreat cabana for 300 $, it was the best experience , highly recommend it, this sept.im on the zuiderdam, sad there's no cabana, but im going to ck. out the hydro pool

on the eurodam this march, I invested in the retreat cabana for 300 $, it was the best experience , highly recommend it, this sept.im on the zuiderdam, sad there's no cabana, but im going to ck. out the hydro pool

As weird as it sounds, we keep on coming back to the Eurodam and NA partly because of the cabanas. We sailed with other ships but it didn't feel the same.

It's a good revenue generating amenity for HAL and a good feature for people will to shell out a little cash.

cabanas ... It's a good revenue generating amenity for HAL and a good feature for people will to shell out a little cash.
I don't care about the Retreat cabanas, but the Lido ones are a nuisance for about 2080 people for the benefit of about 20 ... if they are all sold.

I don't care about the Retreat cabanas, but the Lido ones are a nuisance for about 2080 people for the benefit of about 20 ... if they are all sold.

I hear you. I what'd the same opinion as you on my first cruise with them. I solved the issue by reserving one or two cabanas for the duration of the sailing. But you're absolutely right, they are eating a lot of space of the lido deck.

Cheers

For an August 28 cruise of 12 days I doubt very much you will have screaming children. It is back to school time.

Having done this cruise, I can tell you it is very port-intensive. Unless you are planning on skipping a lot of ports and staying on the ship, I don't think you will get your money's worth.

Besides, you have a wrap-around verandah.

I tnink you would not have difficulty purchasing either on a daily basis.

Terri

As weird as it sounds, we keep on coming back to the Eurodam and NA partly because of the cabanas. We sailed with other ships but it didn't feel the same.

It's a good revenue generating amenity for HAL and a good feature for people will to shell out a little cash.

Not weird at all, I always call to see if Retreat/Cabana Club cabanas are available before booking. They are a terrific amenity.

Are these setup along the pool area? I'm trying to get the visual. Do they block the views & take up area where there are tables & chairs? Thank you.

Yes, yes, & yes.

The Lido cabanas replace the rows of tables on one side of the Lido pool. Those sitting by the pool can't see outside on one side of the ship. It also makes for a very tight passage for those heading between the Lido restaurant area and the forward elevators.

Passage is especially difficult on the E-dam, where the cabanas are on the port side (the heavy traffic side); it is somewhat easier on the Nieuw Amsterdam, as the cabanas are on starboard.

Can you help explain the lido cabanas? Our last few cruises were Alaska and there were no cabanas. Are these setup along the pool area? I'm trying to get the visual. Do they block the views & take up area where there are tables & chairs? Thank you.
See http://halfacts.com/cabanas-9-eurodam/ Click on pix to enlarge.

The NA Lido cabanas are slightly larger and there are fewer of them.

Edited by jtl513

You must have been on a cruise of 7 days or less. For the OP's 12 days it's $499.

yes, jtl, you are correct, it was only 7 days,, but soooo nice:D

Edited by maxie99