Hyatt Hotels for pre and post NYC sailing

bob111

Sailing from Brooklyn port and disembarking at Manhattan port.

Would like to use my Hyatt points for pre and post stays...just need help for picking hotels...stay in same or one for pre and the other for post cruise.

Thanks for any advice...

By the way, jumped on the Tuesday sale.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Disembarking in Manhattan will make getting to your hotel easier, but possibly you will get there too early to go direct to your room.

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in July, no complaints re the room or the service, but hotel has no coffee making facilities in room, no real restaurant, just a bar area with a few tables. Food to buy and take to your room from store in foyer is poor quality, would not recommend it, service in there is also very poor.

Foyer seating area was noisy, children running everywhere, and people eating/drinking coffee , then leaving their debris behind made it look very tacky.

I have chosen a different hotel brand for my trip in Sept.

Hi, bob, congrats on scoring a Tuesday sale voyage!

Re: Hyatt, I looked at a points stay this summer, but we were too "last minute" to take advantage. As I recall, all properties were running 25K per night, except the Hyatt Place (on the south edge of Midtown) at 20K. It looks like the new Park Hyatt wripro recommended above is at 30K points--probably well worth the extra 5K if it's available when you need it! Second choices, IMHO, are the boutique properties Andaz 5th Ave and Hyatt 48 Lex. Based on rack rates at both plus smaller size/upmarket features, I'm guessing they will attract fewer conventioneers and family travelers.

The Hyatt Union Square is closest to embarkation in Brooklyn. The Hyatt Times Square is closest to disembarkation in Manhattan. But really, for the relatively modest differential in taxi prices, I wouldn't let location drive the decision (unless, e.g., you arrive late the night before embarkation such that your first night's stay is little more than a bed--and in that case, I'd also consider either a Hyatt near your arrival airport or something just basic at a lower price vs. burning more Hyatt points).

The Park Hyatt, Grand Hyatt, Andaz 5th Ave, Hyatt 48 Lex, Hyatt Times Square and Hyatt Herald Square (opening later this year) are within walking distance to many of the usual tourist attractions. But everything in NYC is easy to reach via subway, so again, I wouldn't let precise location play a big factor (unless you're a big theatre goer or have other late night interests, in which case, picking a location convenient to "home" may be important--we go to a show most nights, so we'd be looking at the Hyatt Times Square or Park Hyatt first, and then Andaz/The Grand for easy access by the crosstown shuttle (subway) linking Times Sq and Grand Central station).

Jimsgirl's foyer experience at the Grand Hyatt is probably reflective in part of the high levels of families and tourist groups visiting NYC in the summer; however, that is a very popular hotel, period, so it will be busy year round. Ditto most of the Hyatt properties--that is why I lean toward the more upmarket and boutique properties. There are many food options near all of the Hyatt properties if you are able to venture out--the only one that might be more limited is the Wall Street property at night, although recently, Lower Manhattan has seen quite an increase in residential development.

Have fun researching and planning!

We just did an eastbound crossing--you might find the embarkation day Daily Programme helpful. See my thread here QM2 TA: Daily Programmes, Internet Guide, Menus & More.

Edited by Artemis