Sensational Serenade 12 night Med with Venice overnight and Montenegro Review.

When our little trip was over we waved goodbye to our new friend as he dropped us at the main gates of the Old Town. I'm sorry to say I have no photo's of this, I think I was just too overcome! We soon discarded the town map and followed the labyrinth of marble alleyways and came across hidden piazzas filled with restaurants and bars, churches and quirky little shops. I had read that the town was purposely built like a maze for protective reasons and that even the locals get lost here! Here are some of the things we seen on our walk this afternoon.

DSC_0200_zpscmqov6ld.jpg

DSC_0201_zps1y1yyzq7.jpg

DSC_0202_zps2lfdzifz.jpg

The mountain behind was often visible. Here you can make out the serpentine road winding its way upwards.

DSC_0203_zpsirex0swb.jpg

I loved the facades of the buildings.

DSC_0204_zpsazpkcvtf.jpg

Remember to keep up and don't loose your husband here!

DSC_0205_zpsciim6k9z.jpg

Somehow we found the Cathedral of St. Tryphon. St Tryphon is the patron and protector of this beautiful medieval town.

DSC_0208_zpsrjxkel7v.jpg

DSC_0209_zpsb4a08tg4.jpg

I bought a new beach cover up from ladies in a shop along here, they were so grateful for my custom and the item was inexpensive. Funny thing is we had agreed that we would spend some money here in Kotor - just on souvenirs and bits and pieces, we knew the economy really relies on tourism. But it was so difficult to find anything! So many of the shops had the same things to buy.

DSC_0211_zps55uull7n.jpg

We made it to the edge of town where the old walls allowed us to peak out at the water.

DSC_0212_zpscxdknidt.jpg

Spy the ship in the corner.

DSC_0210_zpsfbz35pav.jpg

Greece had its issues with stray dogs and Kotor seems to have its stray cats! I admit this one is kinda cute but cats really aren't my thing. Teddy bear crossed with a cactus anyone ?

DSC_0213_zpsu4an7ug2.jpg

Back in the opposite direction lay many more quaint piazzas.

PICT_20140613_171939_zps8xsa0g9r.jpg

DSC_0214_zpsqhhuymys.jpg

By now we were getting thirsty! We treated ourselves to some local wine and beer, both were excellent. The wine was €2 per glass and the beer €1. At these prices (and because we were trying to support the local economy ya see) we had two each, hick. The young barman was very friendly and had ok english or so we understood! We decided to be brave and try the local liquor. Problem was we didn't know what it was called. We assumed for some bizarre reason that the local couple sitting near us were of course drinking it because don't ya know when we go out of a Friday afternoon at home we always drink whiskey.... (not). The barman kept looking at us like crazy asking if we really wanted to try some pee nappa juice. Yes yes we agreed pointing 'what they have' so smug were we being all cultured and fitting in like a local. Well, Ger quickly paid the bill and left a large tip after I drank the glass of PINEAPPLE JUICE he brought us - not the local liquor after all. We still poke fun at each other about this really embarrassing touristy booboo. :o

Wow! Well worth the wait! I've wanted to go to that side of things, but DH is perfectly happy staying in Italy!

Thanks for coming back!

lol, you should really try using your womanly powers to bring him over to the dark side, you wouldn't regret it :eek:

But then again life's not so bad when you have to stay in Italy either

So glad you're back! I love seeing Montenegro. We hope to get there one day. LOL on the pineapple juice!

It truly is an amazing place. Hope you get there one day too :)

Yep we really did feel so dumb about the pineapple juice incident :o

Time was pressing on as we left the bar and continued to stroll along. It was now after 7p.m and I wanted to do a little more shopping. We didn't have much luck and all we could find was some nice pieces of local pottery. We bought some bowls for the kitchen and a candle holder for the bathroom. They were of course all little in size as if you remember we were very tight on luggage space :rolleyes:

You will notice from the following pictures that the sun was now much lower in the sky and the streets almost empty. Everyone had disappeared it seemed.

DSC_0215_zpsndvoygdb.jpg

Obligatory laundry photo.

DSC_0217_zps9aihati6.jpg

DSC_0218_zps3ddozbcj.jpg

DSC_0219_zpsg3tw1rep.jpg

I knew that this was St Nicholas' Church and that this meant we were still far from the main gate. It was now 8p.m so we had just 30 mins 'til all aboard - considering we had no idea how to find the main gate - this was a very sobering realization.

Oooooooooh! Noooooooooo! are Cath and Grrrr going to get stuck in Kotor, being sustained only by pineapple juice........

hee hee, you crack me up Denisey. Glad to report we didn't miss the boat, I like to leave that to expert planners like Stef :D

:o:rolleyes: hey, do I hear a faint snicker all the way from Ireland? :rolleyes::o

Absolutely not Stef. All meant in good spirits. We all know you are a mega planner - your reviews have helped many people decide what to do on a port day ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Cath,

:Dno worries.... I`m not offended in the least .... lol, we DID miss it afterall:D.

Better not listen to my advice toooo literally ... but thanks for the praise anyhow:rolleyes:.

But that`s not the reason I post today ... I just miss your writing and the pictures... please... we`re not done yet are we? A little more? I`m willing to wait... no problem ... the last wait was oh so worth it. Just please tell me it isn`t over yet, will ya?

Stef

Hey Cath,

:Dno worries.... I`m not offended in the least .... lol, we DID miss it afterall:D.

Better not listen to my advice toooo literally ... but thanks for the praise anyhow:rolleyes:.

But that`s not the reason I post today ... I just miss your writing and the pictures... please... we`re not done yet are we? A little more? I`m willing to wait... no problem ... the last wait was oh so worth it. Just please tell me it isn`t over yet, will ya?

Stef

Ah hello Stef,

Shouldn't you be busy packing - not long left for you now how exciting.

No we are definitely not done with this review, I seem to have bursts and starts and then of course long stops! :rolleyes:

ANNNNDDDD Unfortunately you won't be hearing from me for another few days as we are going to ROME tomorrow ( happy dance).

Hey, maybe I will throw in some Rome pics to make up for the delay when I get back.

Catherine :)

Hi Cath! I was so excited to find your posts about the 12n Med Cruise from BCN to Venice and back. We are booked on this same itinerary June 21, 2015 and I have been trying to find information about the ports.

My traveling companion (cousin who is like a sister to me) is in a wheelchair. Will there be specific challenges in any of the ports? We are still trying to figure out whether to book tours through RCCL (but they don't have very many that are labeled wheelchair accessible) or private tours.

Any advice would be wonderful! :-)

ANNNNDDDD Unfortunately you won't be hearing from me for another few days as we are going to ROME tomorrow ( happy dance).

Hey, maybe I will throw in some Rome pics to make up for the delay when I get back.

Catherine :)

Rome! Sigh! I hope you are having fun!

And if you happen to be in Venice on May 14-16, I'll buy you a drink!

:)

• 2 weeks later...