New Years Eve Onboard Island Princess

augies

What festivities can we expect on New Year's Eve? We'll be on Island Princess Panama Canal this year. Will there be a special menu, shows, parties, etc.? Also, will passengers be more dressed up than a usual formal night?

Thanks for your comments.

It will be a formal evening with (probably) special decorations on the dining room tables along with a special menu.

There will be a countdown party on the pool deck with a countdown on MUTS. There will probably also have a balloon drop in the atrium.

Some ships also have a special party to celebrate when it turns to the new year in other parts of the world such as England.

Below pictures are from NYE, but not on the Island.

11010105BalloononheadtocelebratetheNewYearM02-025.jpg

10710105NeptunesReefPoolareaaftermidnightP1010943.jpg

Edited by caribill

There certainly will be a balloon drop in the Atrium. Quite festive. Here's a link to a video that I took on Dawn Princess a few years back. Every New Year's cruise that I've been on since has basically been the same thing.

New Year's Eve - 12-31-2007

Our last three cruises were two week holiday ones from LA to Hawaii, the first of which was on the Island.

NYE was a formal dinner on those three cruises and there was always a balloon drop in the grand atrium at midnight. Also countdowns for NYE in the UK and possibly any other time zone that covers a huge number of passengers.

Photos from the Golden Princess, 12/31/12:

balloons:

SANY0635_zps23af50a7.jpg

the party:

SANY0640_zpscc5e01e6.jpg

entrees from NYE menu:

SANY0620_zps61721211.jpg

teen with NYE hat:

SANY0611_zps461c7ea9.jpg

Our last three cruises were two week holiday ones from LA to Hawaii' date=' the first of which was on the Island.

NYE was a formal dinner on those three cruises and there was always a balloon drop in the grand atrium at midnight. Also countdowns for NYE in the UK and possibly any other time zone that covers a huge number of passengers.

Photos from the Golden Princess, 12/31/12:

balloons:

SANY0635_zps23af50a7.jpg

the party:

SANY0640_zpscc5e01e6.jpg

entrees from NYE menu:

SANY0620_zps61721211.jpg

teen with NYE hat:

SANY0611_zps461c7ea9.jpg

Looks wonderful. Thanks for the pictures too.

We too spent a New Years Eve on the Sapphire. The ship is still decorated with Christmas things - garlands on all the railings, trees still up and decorated. We went to the MDR for breakfast and there was a beautiful display of a decorated croquetbouche outside when we were finished.

Sometime during the day, there was a new years celebration in the Wheelhouse Bar for those who were from England.

Yes, it was dress up night and there was a nice menu that went along with it. When we entered the MDR for dinner, each place setting had a hat and horn. Hats for the men, crowns for the women.

We had been told earlier in the day that the theme (as if I bring clothes of all colors, especially dress ones) for the evening would be red and white. All the balloons for the drop were red and white.

After dinner, we went back to our room for awhile (our travel mates like to eat at 6:00.) I was coming down with a cold and wanted to rest so I could enjoy the balloon drop.

We arrived back to the atrium (I think it was too cold to celebrate outside) about 15 minutes before 12:00. The place was packed! i found a somewhat quiet corner wall to prop myself up against to watch the festivities. They had a big screen that dropped from the upper floors and it was projecting a 'live' from NYC. We were somewhere in the Pacific so it had been taped from earlier.

Servers were going around handing out champagne and streamers. Lots of the staff had family members onboard and it was fun to see them all up and celebrating with each other as well. People were dancing in the middle, having a great time.

At midnight, the balloons were dropped, streamers thrown, and the floor was emptied of people in less than 30 minutes. Party over! Those still on the time clock went back to work to clean up. Maybe they moved on to other venues, but I went off to bed to try and sleep the cold away.

It worked, I was feeling much better the next day.

I think we also got an extra hour that night!

I'm sure you will enjoy it too!

We were on Island last year and it was everything everyone has said on here, apart from fact that I don't think we had a celebration in UK time.

I do seem to recall that they showed the celebrations around the world throughout the day on the TV and the big screen starting with Sydney Harbour, so it sort of lasted all day and culminated in a party around the Pool.

To be honest until I looked at the photos, I couldn't remember whether or not we were around the Pool or the Atrium at the exact moment the New Year arrived, but I now think we were around the Pool watching the countdown until there were a couple of minutes to go when we went to the top level of the Atrium before returning to the pool area where they had set up a special bar selling champagne.

It was a formal evening and, if the ladies' wanted their hair done for the evening, they did need to book on day 1.

• 2 weeks later...
We were on Island last year and it was everything everyone has said on here, apart from fact that I don't think we had a celebration in UK time.

I do seem to recall that they showed the celebrations around the world throughout the day on the TV and the big screen starting with Sydney Harbour, so it sort of lasted all day and culminated in a party around the Pool.

To be honest until I looked at the photos, I couldn't remember whether or not we were around the Pool or the Atrium at the exact moment the New Year arrived, but I now think we were around the Pool watching the countdown until there were a couple of minutes to go when we went to the top level of the Atrium before returning to the pool area where they had set up a special bar selling champagne.

It was a formal evening and, if the ladies' wanted their hair done for the evening, they did need to book on day 1.

Sounds wonderful. We've cruised on the Island before but this is our first on NYE. We can't wait to go. Thanks for your comments.