Planning Help - No Reply Received on Bermuda Board

Pixiemom2

Posted this on the Bermuda Board but have not received any replies so I'm hoping for better luck here.

We get to Bermuda on Sunday (around 11) and plan on going around the Dock Yard that day since things aren't open in St. George/Hamilton.

On Monday do you suggest St. George or Hamilton? Want to do the Crystal Cave too. Can you take pictures in the caves? Not really into shopping but do like to look at unique/local shops. Mainly want to see some sites and take some pictures.

Tuesday, last day, going on excursion that goes to St. George for an hour or so, is that enough to see the main sites?

Thanks for any input!

You didn't mention the water at all. Did you specifically NOT want to go in the water? It's lovely. Another easy thing you could do on Sunday since no other ship will be at King's Wharf is Snorkle Park beach. Might be around $50 for admission for 2 and 2 loungers and umbrella, but it's an easy walk from the ship. I really enjoyed lying in the water with my fruity beverage. Someone on the Bermuda board mentioned a place in dockyard to see the dolphins playing, maybe as part of the museum admission which is pretty reasonable. I think the Dockyard shops are open til 5, so all of those three things could keep you well occupied until dinner time.

I haven't been to St. George since the ship used to dock there. Maybe search CC for "what to do in St. George", but if you like poking in shops, Hamilton is your place - tons of shops, things you wouldn't find in the states, some good buys on certain types of products. I think you can take pictures in the Crystal Caves because someone posted some on CC - Mitsugirly I think. There may be parts of the caves you can't photograph though.

Tuesday's plan looks good and depending on the timing, you'd have time to look at a few more places at Dockyard. Enjoy!!!

I always do the wharf area the last day just to stay safe and not miss the ship. I'll go to horseshoe bay or whatever but I plan to be relatively close to the boat on that day. There are two caves each at separate admission. The Fantasy cave and the Crystal cave. They are both over (on the same property) near St. Georges on the other side of the island from the ship. Yes, you can take pictures and I was there for my third time before I went to see them and now I think they are an absolute don't miss thing to see. I recommend buying either a 2 or three day transit pass which is good for both busses and ferries to anywhere you want to go. I don't think Hamilton would be a bad place to visit because of the hustle and bustle on weekdays. It smells like NYC with the noises and congestion, just more friendly people. I would not go to St. Georges on the last day though because if you miss the 3pm ferry you are in big trouble. No car or bus will likely have you back to the ship on time. If it is a ship purchased tour you will be fine. Day 1 and 2 go to either Hamilton or St. Georges and day 3 stay close. I've seen ferries stop running due to sudden weather change. By the way have a wonderful time in the most beautiful place on earth! I'll be there next month!

Edited by culinarc

When we arrive at the Dockyard on Sunday morning, our group plans to take vans to Horseshoe Bay (weather permitting). On Monday we will probably go to St. Georges by ferry ( the kids may enjoy the Town Crier and the wench dunking ceremony) and then take the bus back to Hamilton and eventually to the Dockyard (by bus or ferry). On the last day we should still have time to see some of what we may have missed, or spend our last day enjoying what the Dockyard has to offer. Last time we were there we had dinner one evening at Henry VIII but getting a bus back to the Dockyard involved a lengthy wait.

Ready for a Dark and Stormy somewhere on Bermuda:)

Whatever you do - do NOT miss the caves they are fabulous! There are 2 different ones both breathtaking. Yes you can take pictures. - so have your camera ready cause there is nothing like it. There is not much to do at Kings Wharf you can probably see it all in 2 - 3 hours. The beach nearby is nice. We brought our own blow up rafts which was great and left them there. We also went to horseshoe bay it was a cloudy day so the beach was empty - got some fabulous pics there. Have a Great time! You will love Bermuda!

I was able to do the caves and aquarium on 1 day for about $116 for 2 adults and a child. Here’s how I did it:

1. Buy an unlimited transit day pass for all members of the group. It costs $15 for adults and $7.50 for children.
  2. Take the 9:30 AM ferry from the Dockyards to St. George. (45 minutes)
  3. Go see the sites of St. George. I wasn’t too fond of St. George, so we only stayed an hour. At the ferry station, go up the hill and wait for ANY bus to Hamilton. The map claims only the 1 and 3 bus go to the caves, but the 10 and 11 bus go there as well. The stop for the caves will be next to an ice cream shop on your left. Follow the path to the cave box office. (15 minutes)
  4. After you’re done with the caves (1 hour), take the 10 or 11 bus to the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) (15-20 minutes). Admission costs $10 for adults and $5 for children. (2 hours)
  5. Take the 10 or 11 bus to Hamilton. Walk to the ferry and take the next one back to the Dockyards.

The total cost for me and my family: $37.50 +$54 + $25 = $116.50

Through NCL: $99 per adult and $79 per child. You’re dropped off at Hamilton and are expected to find your way back to the dockyard on your own, so add travel fees, too.

Total cost for excursion through NCL: $277 + $10.50 = $287.50

That’s over twice as much!

Just do yourself a favor... Don't take the busses to popular locations! I heard many horror stories this past week of people waiting for an hour -90 mins for a bus from horsehoe bay or elbow beach.

Rent a scooter. I never once felt threatened by another car or scooter. It was a great way to get around