Questions about shore tours

SansaStark

We are going on P&O Pacific Jewel at the end September and will be visiting the following:

Isle of Pines

Mare

Vila

Mystery Island

Noumea

1. Does anyone have any must do tour recommendations?
  2. Some tours are only a couple of hours, do they run multiple tours through the day?

3. Has anyone done the wreak dive at Vila?

4. If we pre book now, can we change our minds when on-board?

Thanks

If we pre book now, can we change our minds when on-board

You can cancel once on board but they require 36 hours notice.

http://www.pocruises.co.nz/findacruise/shoretours/pages/shore-tours-terms-and-conditions.aspx

Refunds

No refunds can be made on any ticket, coupon or voucher unless notice of cancellation is given up to 36 hours prior to arriving in the port in which your tour operates. In the event of any tour being cancelled for reasons beyond our control, a full refund will be made. However, should any tour have to be abandoned through force majeure or difficulties en route, the best possible refund will be arranged according to the circumstances. All Shore Tours require a minimum participation number. If this is not reached, then the tour may be cancelled. In this event, another tour option may be offered; otherwise a full refund will be given.

• 3 weeks later...

StanzaSark - I can help you with most the destinations you listed, as we stayed in Port Vila a few years ago in a nice resort for 7 days, then flew up to Tanna Island for another 7 days stay to visit Mt.Yasur Volcano (which we walked up to the rim, with a local guide - just magic) We again visited Vanuatu on the Sun Princess, & having stayed in Port Vila, we opted for "Circle the Island" bus trip, which allowed us to see places we hadn't seen before.

firstly, in regard to your questions:

* Isle of Pines is a tender boat port. A very pretty island, beautiful pine trees, blue water, white sand. Not much to do here, except walk or swim. Last time I was there, there was a artist just up from the beach, who sells expensive ladies wrap-arounds. There is also a shop which sells food/coffee, etc

Recommendation - swim, swim & a walk. PS - there is a large rock island close to the beach - you not allowed to climb on it, if you do you will upset the local natives

* Mare - have not visited, but should imagine it would be similar to Isle of Pines.

* Port Vila - You walk from where the ship berths, into the town of Port Vila, which is mainly shops, banks, uneven footpaths, potholed roadway...but having said that, there is a park which looks over to Irriki Island (there is a ferry which runs back & forward for free but you have to eat there)

In the township, there is a waterfront park, with locals playing bocci, and a nice Cafe called Nambawun (which means Number One) they service Tanna Coffee (very good coffee)

* Mystery Island - never been there, but it is situated at the southern end of Tanna Island, and no doubt they sail past there in the evening to see the volcano erupting.

* Noumea - is a pleasant place to visit. Whenever my wife & I visit there on a cruise, we get the Noumea Explorer Bus (hop on-hop off) which has regular pick-ups & stops around a set area (maps of the route are given out by the driver). We usually go up Anse Vate Beach for a swim with the locals, or Lemon Bay, then after the swim its time for a coffee in one the beachside cafes - word of warning - people smoke in most cafes, so sitting outside for a non-smoker like myself is a problem, but I did find the Coffee Club - you can sit inside with no smoking allowed.

There are some nice sandy coral islands just off Anse Vate Beach.

Hope this information helps.

StanzaSark - I can help you with most the destinations you listed, as we stayed in Port Vila a few years ago in a nice resort for 7 days, then flew up to Tanna Island for another 7 days stay to visit Mt.Yasur Volcano (which we walked up to the rim, with a local guide - just magic) We again visited Vanuatu on the Sun Princess, & having stayed in Port Vila, we opted for "Circle the Island" bus trip, which allowed us to see places we hadn't seen before.

firstly, in regard to your questions:

* Isle of Pines is a tender boat port. A very pretty island, beautiful pine trees, blue water, white sand. Not much to do here, except walk or swim. Last time I was there, there was a artist just up from the beach, who sells expensive ladies wrap-arounds. There is also a shop which sells food/coffee, etc

Recommendation - swim, swim & a walk. PS - there is a large rock island close to the beach - you not allowed to climb on it, if you do you will upset the local natives

* Mare - have not visited, but should imagine it would be similar to Isle of Pines.

* Port Vila - You walk from where the ship berths, into the town of Port Vila, which is mainly shops, banks, uneven footpaths, potholed roadway...but having said that, there is a park which looks over to Irriki Island (there is a ferry which runs back & forward for free but you have to eat there)

In the township, there is a waterfront park, with locals playing bocci, and a nice Cafe called Nambawun (which means Number One) they service Tanna Coffee (very good coffee)

* Mystery Island - never been there, but it is situated at the southern end of Tanna Island, and no doubt they sail past there in the evening to see the volcano erupting.

* Noumea - is a pleasant place to visit. Whenever my wife & I visit there on a cruise, we get the Noumea Explorer Bus (hop on-hop off) which has regular pick-ups & stops around a set area (maps of the route are given out by the driver). We usually go up Anse Vate Beach for a swim with the locals, or Lemon Bay, then after the swim its time for a coffee in one the beachside cafes - word of warning - people smoke in most cafes, so sitting outside for a non-smoker like myself is a problem, but I did find the Coffee Club - you can sit inside with no smoking allowed.

There are some nice sandy coral islands just off Anse Vate Beach.

Hope this information helps.

i would add that to walk from the ship into Vila is not an easy walk and most times its hot and humid and its about a 5km walk so unless you're fit and healty i'd catch a shuttle bus or taxi into town

Just to add to previous posts....

Port Vila - I agree...the walk from the cruise port at Port Vila into town is a very strenuous one. Catch one of the mini buses or water taxis ($5).

Mare - we were there last week. It is a tender port and there is not much where the tenders bring you in. The only thing to do is to go to the beach on the other side of the island. The ship runs shuttles ($10 per person each way) to the beach and back all day. It is a very pretty beach with average snorkeling. If the weather is cloudy and windy (like it was for us last week), I would not bother going to the beach.

Mystery Island - is uninhabited and when a cruise ship comes in (it is a tender port), the natives from surrounding islands row their canoes over with all their wares and trinkets and run some tours from the beach (fishing and snorkeling mainly). The snorkeling here is fantastic.....heaps of fish which are very big.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

We have now booked some shore tours for the bigger islands, but not bothered for the smaller ones, will just relax and snorkel.

Hubby is happy having booked the two dive trips at Vila and daughter got her way with the Segway tour at Noumea :)