Special Assistance/Fantastic Crew

broadwater

We have just returned from a 10 day cruise on the Marina. Unfortunately a relative travelling with us had not been in the best of health just before we departed so was unexpectedly far less mobile and more frail than usual. We nearly cancelled. However, she was determined to go as she knew it may be her last cruise.

The crew were amazing, assisting us with last minute special needs. They were supportive, helpful, compassionate and extremely thoughtful. The gangway and tender staff were just wonderful transferring a very nervous wheelchair passenger to the tenders or helping her down the gangways. Nothing was too much trouble. Other guests were also very patient and kind.

We have cruised many times with numerous companies and have always found the crews helpful but felt that Oceania really stood out above the rest.

So praise where praise is due particularly as I had not asked for extra assistance beforehand due to the circumstances.

Good to know. We have enjoyed cruising on the Regatta and have just booked another cruise on her. HOWEVER, my husband is now in a wheelchair and the only accessible cabins are inside on deck 4. We are not too happy that we have to be inside. We could get by with a suite, but can't afford the prices for the larger suite. I hope Oceania would at least convert some ov cabins the way Princess did on the R ships they sail.

Good to know. We have enjoyed cruising on the Regatta and have just booked another cruise on her. HOWEVER, my husband is now in a wheelchair and the only accessible cabins are inside on deck 4. We are not too happy that we have to be inside. We could get by with a suite, but can't afford the prices for the larger suite. I hope Oceania would at least convert some ov cabins the way Princess did on the R ships they sail.

On another thread, you said you lost your deposit because there was confusion about final payment date. Does this mean you were able to recoup that money by applying to this cruise? Hope so.

Marilyn

Princess didn't simply renovate two cabins, they gutted four Ocean view cabins, and created two Handicapped Accessible Staterooms out of the space.

164528.jpg164914.jpg

I must rephrase, Princess gutted Three Cabins to build those two Handicap Accessible Staterooms.

4054 is gone on the Pacific and Ocean Princesses.

On another thread, you said you lost your deposit because there was confusion about final payment date. Does this mean you were able to recoup that money by applying to this cruise? Hope so.

Marilyn

Yes, Oceania was kind enough to allow us to put it toward another cruise.

Princess didn't simply renovate two cabins, they gutted four Ocean view cabins, and created two Handicapped Accessible Staterooms out of the space.

164528.jpg164914.jpg

I wish Oceania would do something similar. Balconies are sometimes hard to be able to use in a wheelchair and the ocean view would be fine for many.

164528.jpg164914.jpg

I wish Oceania would do something similar. Balconies are sometimes hard to be able to use in a wheelchair and the ocean view would be fine for many.

Princess made 2 accessible out of 3 cabins and only lost revenue on 1

It's too bad your cruise isn't on Marina or Riviera, as my husband thinks there are some outside cabins made for handicapped individuals. He doesn't, however, remember if they are verandas or oceanviews or both.

Edited by roothy123

We are sailing on Nov. 29th on Riviera. I am thinking of bringing my mom a wheelchair. She can't walk distances or stand for longer periods. I figured this way we can get to all points on the ship without wearing her out. We are in a PH so I figure we can store the chair in the closet when not in use. Any thoughts?

We are sailing on Nov. 29th on Riviera. I am thinking of bringing my mom a wheelchair. She can't walk distances or stand for longer periods. I figured this way we can get to all points on the ship without wearing her out. We are in a PH so I figure we can store the chair in the closet when not in use. Any thoughts?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a wheelchair on an Oceania ship, but I'm sure there have been some. One thing I do know is that if someone wants to use one, they need to notify Oceania in advance. The contract of carriage has a paragraph on that.

I agree that Oceania staff are wonderful. I'm not surprised that the original poster had such wonderful, unexpected help.

Edited by roothy123

It sounds like the hesitation about having an inside cabin has to do with possible claustrophobia issues, but at least there are a couple good things to know about the inside cabins on the smaller ships: They really don't seem any smaller to me than the veranda cabins, since the amount of space occupied by the veranda is included in the square footage measurements. Also, some of the ocean views on the small ships are actually smaller than the inside staterooms, since there is a lifeboat in front of the window! They are also very nice staterooms - in between the two outside corridors, so extremely quiet, and many are mid-ship, which many people prefer. If it helps a tiny bit with claustrophobia, there is a channel on the TV in each room that shows the bridge camera view of what's in front of, and a little bit around, the ship. When I want to see what's going on outside, I turn it on.

I looked, and Marina and Riviera have a few accessible ocean view rooms and a few veranda rooms in addition to the inside rooms.

Most ships you need to provide your own wheelchair ...bring a folding one so you can store it easily in your cabin

You may have to notify O ahead of time but I think that pertains to scooters

My ticket contract says a passenger needs to advise Oceania upon booking if he/she requires the use of a wheelchair. There is a strong recommendation to bring someone along to assist. Scooters are allowed, but subject to size and safety limitations. It says some ports are anchorage (tender) ports and physical conditions may preclude you from going ashore. (I think that last thing applies to even the most able-bodied person, as seas can become pretty choppy! You really appreciate the help from the guys on the tenders when that happens! They are my unsung heroes!)

It's too bad your cruise isn't on Marina or Riviera, as my husband thinks there are some outside cabins made for handicapped individuals. He doesn't, however, remember if they are verandas or oceanviews or both.

We don't care for the O class ships and R class are easier to get around for us.

I agree the tender and gangway crew are the unsung hero's. I wanted to mention them in my guest survey by name but they don't wear badges.

We stayed in a PH suite and stored the wheelchair very easily in the closet. I took along a couple of handy gadgets to help and they were really useful. The first was a suck on handle/grip that we used in the shower and the other was a support to get in and out of bed as they are rather high!

Hope this information helps, it is possible to go away with assistance a good sense of humor and make the most of life!