Baby facilities on Eclipse

Mistymya

We have previously cruised Silhouette once and Reflection for two cruises, but as we were just a honeymooning couple with no children i can't seem to have noticed if there are baby facilities onboard??

I know that there is in cabin babysitting for 12 mo up and i know about the kids club, but there are a few questions that I would love to have answered. I have tried to do various searches, but i have not been successful.

On our previous cruises there was only 1 or 2 small babies onboard, so i don't have high hopes, but here we go:

1. Is there a bathroom with a changing table anywhere near the main dining room? (Or any bathroom with changing table?)

2. What kind of high chairs are there in the dining room? Are the same available in f.ex. Bistro on five and Oceanview cafe?

3. Breastfeeding; Here in Norway we are very liberal when it comes to breastfeeding. You can feed your baby anywhere. I would never breastfeed in the restaurants onboard, but do you think people (or staff) would react badly to breastfeeding in other public areas? Is it allowed?

4. Does anyone have a picture of the crib in the cabin? I´m trying to figure out if i should bring my DD´s own cover and sheets.

5. I know that cabin doors might be to small for my Babyjogger city mini gt to fit, but are there cabins (other than the accessible once) that are larger in the door opening. We are currently in 7159 with the larger veranda which might be more important than for the stroller to fit through the door. (After all it folds easily.)

We love to go cruising and i will try to put together a review post cruise.

Hopefully someone can share their observations or hands on experience with this. Thanks.

How old will your child be during the cruise?

#3: I have never heard about a rule against it. I would be very surprised if there was such a rule onboard. (Here where I live, if a business establishment asks a woman not to breastfeed, it ends up making the news).

#4: Did you manage to secure one from the cruiseline? I brought a "pack n play" unit from home.

#5; Bring an umbrella stroller if you can. Makes it a lot easier for fitting in the cabin, airplane, taxi, excursion buses, etc.

1. Not that I'm aware of. As I recall, that was one of the major complaints of some posters in an earlier thread, horrified that babies had been seen being changed on a bathroom counter. I'd suggest taking a small changing mat with you, just in case.

3. No rule against it that I know of, and you are more likely to get negative comments from some posters here than you ever would aboard. Don't be intimidated! :)

5. I believe that you'd be OK getting through the door, but things can be tight maneuvering inside the cabin. You might need to fold it once through the door.

Have a great family cruise!

1. Is there a bathroom with a changing table anywhere near the main dining room? (Or any bathroom with changing table?)

There is always a bathroom just outside the dining room, but I can't say if they have a changing table. I'm guessing not.

Practice changing the baby on your lap... do it now and you'll never need to hunt for a changing table again.

You can always lay a changing mat across your lap first if you're worried, but I did it with both my kids for years and have never had to worry about broken or missing changing tables. Especially in airplanes with no accommodation for them. Both of them lay still and don't wiggle - I suppose they come to realise that if they wiggle around too much, they'll end up on the floor (not that I've ever dropped either one!).

2. What kind of high chairs are there in the dining room? Are the same available in f.ex. Bistro on five and Oceanview cafe?

Not sure, but on other cruise lines they've always been the same as in the cafe.

3. Breastfeeding; Here in Norway we are very liberal when it comes to breastfeeding. You can feed your baby anywhere. I would never breastfeed in the restaurants onboard, but do you think people (or staff) would react badly to breastfeeding in other public areas? Is it allowed?

If they react, it's on them. If you're discreet, people shouldn't have anything to complain about. I was a nursing mother myself and only rarely ever received negative comments (one was when my son was 7 months old... someone asked me if he wasn't too old for that?)

4. Does anyone have a picture of the crib in the cabin? I´m trying to figure out if i should bring my DD´s own cover and sheets.

We always just used the cruiseline sheets, but each of our children had a small (2' square) blanket that they slept with that made their bed feel a bit more like home.

5. I know that cabin doors might be to small for my Babyjogger city mini gt to fit, but are there cabins (other than the accessible once) that are larger in the door opening. We are currently in 7159 with the larger veranda which might be more important than for the stroller to fit through the door. (After all it folds easily.)

In my experience cruising, I've only found the accessible cabins to have wider doors. You might want to look at a smaller umbrella stroller for this journey - either buy or borrow one. It's not just getting through the door, it's getting in and out of crowded elevators, and through narrow hallways. Last spring on a Princess ship, we saw a young couple use a larger stroller for their baby - they were constantly getting stuck in the halls because of how far the cabin steward's trollies stuck out. It was a pain for them.

Are you flying as well? Airlines are not particularly kind to strollers/pushchairs, and I wouldn't want to bring one on that was expensive as the chance for damage is too high.

We used a stroller similar to this, and once it was wheeled into the room we could collapse it and slide it under the bed.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise! Your wee one will have a great time!

The PH and Royal Suites have wider doors. I think you should consider bringing a smaller stroller as your large one will provide problems not only in your cabin but in some public areas of the ship including the MDR and even the gangway.

Dear all. Thank you for your answers.

Our daughter will be 8 months old and we just bought this smaller stroller for travelling. You really think its to big? Didn't think of the stewards trolleys before. But we are right by the elevators, so i guess it will not be a big problem.

Our regular stroller is the emmaljunga city cross, which is alot bigger. If we truly regret it i guess we'll buy an additional one in the first port.

For the air transportation we will use a Stokke prampack, so not worried it will be broken!

I always carry a small changing mat, but i prefer a changing table where its available. Though i couldnt remember seeing them on Silhouette or Reflection.

And yes - i have requested a crib from the cruise line. They said it would be no problem. If there is, our baby often sleeps with me, so i guess dad could take the sofa bed if there is a big problem. I have also bought a sort of travel bed that might be installed on the sofa bed. I will bring it in case it is a better use of space, than the crib! :)

I anyone is interested - this is the one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007Y2P58O/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

Whatever you do, please don´t change the baby on a lounger without anything beneath it - which we just saw last week on the Silhouette.:eek:

A towel below the bum would be the least, there are plenty available and they get washed.

You mention that your baby is 8 months old, please be aware of the information from Celebrity's FAQ's. I assume you already know of the age restrictions but in case you have not seen them:

Question: "Is there a minimum age requirement for an infant to sail on Celebrity Cruises?"

Answer: "Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour. However, for Transatlantic, Transpacific, select South American cruises/cruisetours and other select cruises/cruisetours, the infant (as of the first day of the cruise/cruisetour) must be at least 12 months old. For the purposes of this policy, any cruise that has 3 or more consecutive days at sea will require infants to be 12 months old on the first day of the cruise/CruiseTour.

Denial of boarding for infants who do not satisfy these minimum age requirements may also result in the denial of boarding for one or more guests sailing with that infant. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from the cruise line to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or other accompanying guests."

I hope this rule does not impact your plans and you have a great cruise.

I can't comment on Eclipse but on Infinity I'm fairly certain that we were only provided with a sheet over the mattress for the crib so I would take bedding for your baby. I took my own anyway as I thought the smell and feel of it might settle my LO better (it seemed to work ok!).

Celebrity have next to no facilities for babies and on Infinity there were only 2 changing tables on the whole ship - one in the kids club and one on the deck immediately below it so we just kept going back to our room.

The highchairs we had were the stackable wooden ones with a waist strap and were available in all venues. They didn't have a huge number of them and on a number of occasions they had to be fetched from another location.

Of course, my comments could be completely wrong for the Eclipse but I thought it might be helpful to know our experience on a Celebrity ship as I too found it difficult to find out information :) Regardless, cruising with a baby is amazing and the crew will love him/her!

Dear all. Thank you for your answers.

Our daughter will be 8 months old and we just bought this smaller stroller for travelling. You really think its to big? Didn't think of the stewards trolleys before. But we are right by the elevators, so i guess it will not be a big problem.

Our regular stroller is the emmaljunga city cross, which is alot bigger. If we truly regret it i guess we'll buy an additional one in the first port.

For the air transportation we will use a Stokke prampack, so not worried it will be broken!

I always carry a small changing mat, but i prefer a changing table where its available. Though i couldnt remember seeing them on Silhouette or Reflection.

As I said in my earlier post, I think you'll be fine with the Babyjogger city mini gt. It's only 24" (61 cm) wide and I'm quite sure that cabin doors will accommodate that width.

Whatever you do, please don´t change the baby on a lounger without anything beneath it - which we just saw last week on the Silhouette.:eek:

A towel below the bum would be the least, there are plenty available and they get washed.

I would never do that :P

And we will actually not change the baby in public areas on the ship. I don't like it on ships, since hygienically i think one should wash hands immediately after removing the diaper and then again when finished. Just would have liked to be able to change her in a bathroom near the dining room if needed, as our cabin is way on the other side. Maybe i can use a counter in the bathroom, and my changing mattress. I recall there was one!

You mention that your baby is 8 months old, please be aware of the information from Celebrity's FAQ's. I assume you already know of the age restrictions but in case you have not seen them

I hope this rule does not impact your plans and you have a great cruise.

We are on the 19th from Southampton, (if others on this sailing gets the chills from knowing you will cruise with a baby, please don't worry. We will spread our time around the ship and she will be taken to our cabin if she cries.) so this will not be an issue. There are no consecutive sea days and she will have passed the 6 month "lock" by a good 2 months.

Originally we wanted to go on an august sailing that sailed the day before her 6 month mark, but there was no chance of Celebrity letting us do that. So they are very strict on that issue.

As I said in my earlier post, I think you'll be fine with the Babyjogger city mini gt. It's only 24" (61 cm) wide and I'm quite sure that cabin doors will accommodate that width.

Actually I found an accessibility page on celebrity´s website, and they state the doors are 23 inch or wider... So i hope its wider :P

http://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/life-on-board/accessibility/

I anyone has tried with with the mini gt, I would still be happy to hear from you!

I can't comment on Eclipse but on Infinity I'm fairly certain that we were only provided with a sheet over the mattress for the crib so I would take bedding for your baby. I took my own anyway as I thought the smell and feel of it might settle my LO better (it seemed to work ok!).

Celebrity have next to no facilities for babies and on Infinity there were only 2 changing tables on the whole ship - one in the kids club and one on the deck immediately below it so we just kept going back to our room.

The highchairs we had were the stackable wooden ones with a waist strap and were available in all venues. They didn't have a huge number of them and on a number of occasions they had to be fetched from another location.

Of course, my comments could be completely wrong for the Eclipse but I thought it might be helpful to know our experience on a Celebrity ship as I too found it difficult to find out information :) Regardless, cruising with a baby is amazing and the crew will love him/her!

Thank you for your insights. I have come to the conclusion that it seems to be only a changing table in the fun factory. I will also bring some familiar bed items for our daughter, as you mention i should be able to calm her better.

I will also bring a portable chair solution that we can attach to any normal chair as i hate to be the needy cruiser. :P

Did you try baby food onboard? I found out they can make it for lunch and dinner.

I´m looking forward on writing my review of this cruise. I will make a guide to cruising with babies on Solstice-class ships :P

Do NOT count on baby food being available on the ship. You must make arrangements beforehand if you want baby food, but even then, you can't count on it. Our friends made arrangements to have all kinds of food on board, but once they got there, nothing was available.

Make sure you bring absolutely everything that you need for the baby, as they do not stock anything on the ship. So make sure you have all the nappies, wipes and all the other things.

Unfortunately, there isn't much available for babies---no kids program, no babysitting (the child must be 12 months for sitting), and you can only bring the baby to the kids club for 45 minutes a day, and you must stay with the child.

We have previously cruised Silhouette once and Reflection for two cruises, but as we were just a honeymooning couple with no children i can't seem to have noticed if there are baby facilities onboard?? There are no baby facilities. They have "Toddler Time" that you can visit the Fun Factory with a little one and allow them to play there but the parent must stay with them.

I know that there is in cabin babysitting for 12 mo up and i know about the kids club, but there are a few questions that I would love to have answered. I have tried to do various searches, but i have not been successful.

On our previous cruises there was only 1 or 2 small babies onboard, so i don't have high hopes, but here we go:

1. Is there a bathroom with a changing table anywhere near the main dining room? (Or any bathroom with changing table?) In the handicapped restrooms there may be changing tables. I didn't have my diaper bags with us all the time- it was easy enough to nip down to the room.

2. What kind of high chairs are there in the dining room? Are the same available in f.ex. Bistro on five and Oceanview cafe? They will provide high chairs in all of the dining areas where children are allowed.

3. Breastfeeding; Here in Norway we are very liberal when it comes to breastfeeding. You can feed your baby anywhere. I would never breastfeed in the restaurants onboard, but do you think people (or staff) would react badly to breastfeeding in other public areas? Is it allowed? Breast feeding is allowed. I breastfed and would generally go back to the cabin for breastfeeding and diaper changing. It wasn't that far away and I preferred the quiet and ease of changing the baby on the bed. I always threw a towel or baby blanket over my shoulder when i nursed in public- so I wasn't offending anyone.

4. Does anyone have a picture of the crib in the cabin? I´m trying to figure out if i should bring my DD´s own cover and sheets. Bring your own cover and fitted sheets. The ones they use are not fitted sheets and the crib mattress was very thin.

Only bring an umbrella stroller that folds up. I used it a lot on our cruise. It's small enough to fit through the door and easy to use in the halls and on the elevators- takes up very little room. Worked well in the ports. Folds up easily for taxi's or vans.

We love to go cruising and i will try to put together a review post cruise.

Hopefully someone can share their observations or hands on experience with this. Thanks.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Another option you may want to consider for your baby - when we used to visit relatives we just put a mattress down on the floor and our son slept there. That could work on a cruise as well and it could be put away completely during the day. That may or may not work for your baby depending on personality, but wanted to throw that out as another option. In order to do this effectively, you would need a room that could handle a third passenger - not sure all the rooms have sofas where they can be turned into beds.

It depends on the age of the baby- which the OP hasn't mentioned. We took our then 6 month old and he had no trouble sleeping in the crib. the gentle rocking keeps them asleep. Our toddler (13 months) we dispensed with the crib and just had him sleep with us to save space. It worked fine. One night I did sleep in the bunk though to get a better night sleep.

It depends on the age of the baby- which the OP hasn't mentioned. We took our then 6 month old and he had no trouble sleeping in the crib. the gentle rocking keeps them asleep. Our toddler (13 months) we dispensed with the crib and just had him sleep with us to save space. It worked fine. One night I did sleep in the bunk though to get a better night sleep.

"Our daughter will be 8 months old", provided in post # 7.

We didn't order the baby food jars so can't comment on that but we did order pureed food each night for the next night from the main menu. Our waiter was excellent at having this ready when we got to the MDR. The only problem we had is the first time they seasoned it so if you do this make sure you tell them no salt!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app