Excursions for older person with limited mobility?

BooBooMonkey

Hello cruisers. My DH, our 3 kids (9, 13, and 15) and DH's parents in their 70's will be traveling to Key West and Nassau in November. Unfortunately, Dad is not doing too well with walking these days. When we went to Disney, we rented a motorized scooter. Probably not possible this time. What shore excursions would you recommend for a man with a walker? Does anyone know if Carnival has loaner wheelchairs?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Chantal

Have you thought about renting a scooter for the trip? Or at least a manual wheelchair? Either would give you father a lot more mobility on as well as off the ship. There are companies like CareVacations that will deliver either to the ship.

Carnival will "loan" you a wheelchair at embarkation and disembarkation. You can not count on them (or any other cruise line) for a chair during the cruise.

Although I usually recommend a wheelchair for use in port, both downtown Key West and Nassau are fairly easy to get around with a wheelchair or scooter. And either can be foilded and put into the trunk of a taxi.

Generally ship tours use buses which may be difficult for your father-in-law. My husband can not get on a bus so we usually use taxis or arrange a private tour.

We have been to both Key West and Nassau, but have not taken any real tours.

Key West: If you dock in the Naval Yard, there are wheelchair lifts on the tram they use to transport passengers downtown. You might want to see if the Conch Train is accessible. We only had a few hours so we just walked around downtown.

Nassau: We have always stayed downtown. The Pirate Museum there is accessible. I have not been there, but I have been told that most of Buchart Gardens and the "Dig" are too. The straw market is too tight for a wheelchair and would be too much for your father-in-law with his walker. I do not like it any way. The vendors are very pushy and most of the merchandise is not interesting to me.

There are companies that you can pre-arrnge private tours to suit your needs this may be a good option for you.

Also like the other poster mentioned it may be wise to take a fold-up wheelchair with you.

Friends of ours have done this on their past cruises and much more comfortable for the the disabled pax. They can enjoy the ports as well.

http://www.portcompass.com/regionproducts.php?region=Carrib

http://www.shoretrips.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, rent a scooter from Scoot-Around or CareVactions. You can get a travel scooter which would fit in the trunck of a taxi (they weight about 100 lbs). Key West is on American soil so comes under ADA, so most places should be accessible. Your father will love the independence he will get with the scooter.

• 4 weeks later...

In Key West they rent these little electric cars to get around the island. They are great fun and get everywhere in the town. You cannot get a wheelchair full time from any cruise ship. Those are used for emergencies only and are not provided to passengers for their exclusive use during cruises. You must provide your own.

• 4 weeks later...

always travel with your own..easy to rent. That way your dad won't get knocked over and worn out. A walker is fine for around the cabin but just getting around the ship can be tiring..especially if it is rought seas!

Tell your dad it is to help you feel safer..then he won't resist.

Archived