Second guessing

cruzinlisa

So I have taken DD on two cruises already. Last cruise (April 2013) she was 2. It was a (mini) disaster. I swore then that she was not going on another cruise until she was school age. So of course, I booked a cruise for this October.

Now I am wondering if I am crazy. Last cruise she refused to nap. She was whiny. Clinging. Threw tantrums. Would not go to camp. There were times when we took her to an empty lounge to let her cry just so that we did not disturb others who might be napping in their rooms. Don't get me wrong. I am a proponent of traveling with your kids. I believe you have to take your kids out to teach them how to behave and interact with people. And I love my daughter. I love being with her, but she was not a delight that week.

But now she is 3 1/2 (will be 4 in Jan). We take her places and on errands without incident (mostly). She is excited about the cruise. She says she wants to go to "Aunt Carnival" (which is Camp Carnival), to play. She says she will be a big girl and not cry. She is not nearly as clingy. Everything tells me this will be different. 1.5 years can make a big difference with preschooler. But - she is 3. And 3 year olds are unpredictable.

I would prefer not to have a repeat performance. I am not expecting a perfectly behaved young lady at all times and I know she will have melt downs. I just want her to enjoy herself.

Does anyone have any thoughts? And please don't flame me.

Edited by cruzinlisa

I've been there and I can tell you that there is a world of difference between 2 and 3.5. You've probably seen it at home and in restaurants. I don't think you should cancel the cruise. I took a break from cruising after a very trying experience with my then 13 month old. I waited 2.5 years and took him on the Carnival Victory out of NYC and he LOVED it. I took him to the youth program and he mostly enjoyed it- seemed eager to go but I would check on him frequently (every 1- 1.5 hours). He was 3 3/4 years old at the time.

The one thing that freaked him out were the toilets. He was terrified of the sucking noise. What i would do is just wait until your daughter is out of the bathroom before flushing because it may be scary to her. Also- avoid the public restrooms on board because there will be multiple flushes at once and this is particularly scarey. The toilets were the only time my son cried and he did have an accident on one cruise because he was avoiding having to use the potty.

10570519_10152540315133632_8965990182326441474_n.jpg.b750886eb65eaf44ed7aecdc6f995979.jpg

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I agree - if she's like my kids, she's a completely different person than she was the first time, and cruising has only gotten better and better as they grow. And you have reasonable expectations, which is a key to success.

Have a great time.

Best,

Mia

They call them the "terrible twos" for a reason!

You should be good to go this time. I wouldn't fight about naps....on vacation, schedules tend to fly out the window!

You should have a wonderful family vacation!

My kids always had rest time on cruises. I think it's important that they decompress. The best time is usually around 1-3 or in this time frame. This way they aren't fussy at dinner or the night time activities.

I have two boys and I'm the boss. They knew I meant business when I said it was "rest time". We all would lay down on the bed and I'd read to them and then I would close my eyes. It's important to close the curtains. This isn't a good time for hubby to be walking in and out, using the bathroom or going out on the balcony. If you aren't resting- then you should be elsewhere. It gives the non resting parent a chance to do other activities outside of the cabin. I'm serious about my own rest time and my kids simply had to comply. I did this with my sons until they were school age. It's important that they aren't over-stimulated all day long. As you can see we have many cruises under our belts and I've yet to have a fussy, unhappy child on a cruise but you have to stick to a schedule with little ones. If you aren't onboard the ship at this time- then find a quiet beach chair for their nap time.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Completely agree with Rebecca. I let bedtime and wake time adjust during travel, but rest time is non-negotiable. I always told them they don't have to sleep, but they do have to rest. With the covers on and the curtains drawn, they were out without fail. Gave me a chance to also rest and start getting ready for the evening. Then I'd get them up and dressed for dinner and we'd all have a great night.

Best,

Mia

The cruise we took just after our son just turned 2 was by far our least favorite. Like you, we booked another for when he turned 3 wondering if we were crazy for doing so and it was great. He didn't love camp, but the year made a huge difference in his demeanor. He was excited to be on the ship and loved everything about it. Hope it works out for you.

Thanks. This is what I hoped to hear. I do think my daughter is a very different person than last year and she will be closer to 4 (just a few months from it) whereas last cruise, she had just turned 2 a few months before. I will try the rest time. She is funny about naps. She does not nap at home. She just crashes late. She only naps at the sitters (most of the time not always). But rest time sounds nice. I can nap. We have an inside room, so it will be dark and we scan snuggle.