diving Little French Key

hargroveshort

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We LOVED our dive time here! They took us out in a boat to an area only about 100-150 feet out, but past shallow coral reefs for close to an hour. About 10 of us. Two guides. We were in water up to 30 feet deep, I'd guess. The water was perfectly clear. We saw colorful fish of all kinds and amazing coral. The guides told us about the fish and pointed out interesting things, including a hiding lobster.

It was included in our package, but was definitely worth paying for if you don't have a package. (We bought the package through their website, not the ship.) The snorkeling the next day in Belize was not nearly as clear, but not terrible, just noticeably different. (Went on Barrier Beach Break and Snorkel through the ship.) This was in January and I'm sure weather can affect the clarity. I hope it goes as well for you!

Enjoy your cruise!

We LOVED our dive time here! They took us out in a boat to an area only about 100-150 feet out, but past shallow coral reefs for close to an hour. About 10 of us. Two guides. We were in water up to 30 feet deep, I'd guess. The water was perfectly clear. We saw colorful fish of all kinds and amazing coral. The guides told us about the fish and pointed out interesting things, including a hiding lobster.

It was included in our package, but was definitely worth paying for if you don't have a package. (We bought the package through their website, not the ship.) The snorkeling the next day in Belize was not nearly as clear, but not terrible, just noticeably different. (Went on Barrier Beach Break and Snorkel through the ship.) This was in January and I'm sure weather can affect the clarity. I hope it goes as well for you!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you!! Do you know if anyone you were with was a really new diver? This would be first dive after certification in a lake for most of my family

I'm so sorry, Steph! This was snorkeling for us! I guess I got the lingo mixed up. All the information would be the same as the scuba boat was a hundred yards over from us, but I don't know the answer to your question. I imagine there could be all levels in a group but I can't say for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I have never been diving but have been to LFK twice now. This last visit (a few weeks ago) I missed my snorkeling trip out there and decided to take a canoe out. We were in the fairly shallow water (maybe up to 10') and the coral was absolutely AMAZING!!!! I can only imagine what it looks like out where you snorkel and dive (that the boat takes you to).

I have pictures that I took of the coral located HERE and I took all these pictures from the canoe above water and also sticking the camera under the water. The coral was so huge and it came all the way up to the service in some areas or just right below the canoe (never hitting any of it). But still very amazing.

The coral pictures start on page 12-13 of that folder.

Sorry I have never been diving but have been to LFK twice now. This last visit (a few weeks ago) I missed my snorkeling trip out there and decided to take a canoe out. We were in the fairly shallow water (maybe up to 10') and the coral was absolutely AMAZING!!!! I can only imagine what it looks like out where you snorkel and dive (that the boat takes you to).

I have pictures that I took of the coral located HERE and I took all these pictures from the canoe above water and also sticking the camera under the water. The coral was so huge and it came all the way up to the service in some areas or just right below the canoe (never hitting any of it). But still very amazing.

Wow! Thank you for sharing!!

We have a cruise booked in Feb. & were thinking about doing LFK. Do you know if it is possible to snorkel from the shore or do you need to take the boat out. Could you see fish from the canoe ? :)

Wow! Thank you for sharing!!

You are very welcome. I think you will be very pleased there.

We have a cruise booked in Feb. & were thinking about doing LFK. Do you know if it is possible to snorkel from the shore or do you need to take the boat out. Could you see fish from the canoe ? :)

You can snorkel at any of the beaches and see fish. I seen quite a few things just by doing that. However, it's not going to be A LOT of fish since most of the area is a sandy bottom beach.

When we were in the canoe, we seen more coral than anything. We did see some fish and some urchins, but I would imagine if I was actually down in the water at that point, I would have seen more. With moving the oars in the water and the movement from the canoe, it's hard to keep the water still enough to tell. If it was me, I would do the snorkeling tour out to the reef with the boat. JMO.

You are very welcome. I think you will be very pleased there.

You can snorkel at any of the beaches and see fish. I seen quite a few things just by doing that. However, it's not going to be A LOT of fish since most of the area is a sandy bottom beach.

When we were in the canoe, we seen more coral than anything. We did see some fish and some urchins, but I would imagine if I was actually down in the water at that point, I would have seen more. With moving the oars in the water and the movement from the canoe, it's hard to keep the water still enough to tell. If it was me, I would do the snorkeling tour out to the reef with the boat. JMO.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate that.....:)