Anyone travel with a minor who is not your child on MSC?

CruiserTB

Specifically the Divina. I'm taking my niece on the cruise and want to make sure I'm not hit with a surprise requirement when trying to board with her. I checked the MSC USA website but couldn't find any information on what I need to bring. Checking other cruise line websites it looks like I'll need to bring a notarized letter from the parents authorizing me to take her on the cruise. Does anyone know if this is sufficient or if I need anything else?

I'm not sure if her passport will be here in time so I'm planning on bringing her birth certificate. She doesn't have a picture ID though.

Specifically the Divina. I'm taking my niece on the cruise and want to make sure I'm not hit with a surprise requirement when trying to board with her. I checked the MSC USA website but couldn't find any information on what I need to bring. Checking other cruise line websites it looks like I'll need to bring a notarized letter from the parents authorizing me to take her on the cruise. Does anyone know if this is sufficient or if I need anything else?

I'm not sure if her passport will be here in time so I'm planning on bringing her birth certificate. She doesn't have a picture ID though.

Cruiser,,you will need a notarized travel consent form for your niece. Be sure it is notarized by both legal guardians(If applicable). Here is an example form,,there are others out there, but just be sure to put the ship name on the form.

http://www.freewebs.com/docdiva/Minor%20Travel%20Consent.pdf

If she is under 16, a photo ID is not required, just a birth certificate, long form, with a raised seal, or passport.

• 2 years later...

I have a similar question my 11 yr old

son have cruised with Carnival and Disney.He has sailed with me alone since 3.He has a passport and I have never needed documentation from his father.The last cruise was December 2015.Have things changed? MSC says they won't need anything but will customs?TIA

I have a similar question my 11 yr old

son have cruised with Carnival and Disney.He has sailed with me alone since 3.He has a passport and I have never needed documentation from his father.The last cruise was December 2015.Have things changed? MSC says they won't need anything but will customs?TIA

This is what Customs and Border Patrol has to say on the issue. Better to be prepared than delayed if they feel the need to verify your travel plans.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or