Pollywogs & Shellbacks - Line Crossing Ceremony

jenidallas

I've heard much about these over the years growing up in a Navy family - and I've seen several blog posts about these on Seabourn RTWs.

Do they do this on other cruises that cross the Equator as well? I'll be on the Singapore-Bali sailing on Odyssey in November so I'm curious! I've crossed by plane many times, but it will be my first by sea and I'd love to see this!!!

Jen, if you go to the Seabourn blog on their website i believe i have seen an article on this.

Thanks! I've read that and seen photos and accounts on various blogs of Seabourn sailors.

What I'm not clear on is if they ONLY do this on the RTW cruises or on any sailing that crosses the Equator. Nothing I've read from Seabourn specifies but it seems like it is maritime tradition.

Very definitely had the full works poolside on our Odyssey Bali to Singapore Sea Day in March 2013. Mostly the crew who suffered but word to the wise if you're not keen on full participation would be to stand back just a little.

Not much of a picture but it will give you a flavour if it appears in the post.

Equator.jpg.5242a6d9df79fb17dc041f31a6be5471.jpg

On our Panama Canal crossing, we were pollywogs and our Butler threatened to seek me out and throw me in the pool. It was such fun. Be brave and participate. We have seen this ceremony on all of cruses that crossed the Equator. Last cruise, Sydney to Singapore, it had to take place the next day as we crossed during the night. Plus, you get a cool certificate to put with your daily Heralds!

It's great, wonderful fun. If you have a good CD and a really personable Captain, the whole thing is a riot! Outstanding were Handre and Captain GA on the Quest. If you are a real pollywog ( never crossed by sea), and you don't mind getting really messed up, volunteer!

Even if you don't, don't miss the fun.

You're doing the reverse of my cruise! =) But it looks like you'll be hitting other ports than my itinerary. The on board staff have costumes/props for this so you're set. The pool gets so dirty that it will be closed after the ceremony is done and drained/cleaned. But it's refilled by the very next morning. As you know, I was on a charter so they got a little more creative, and it was fun to watch. I didn't participate in the actual ceremony, but the majority of the passengers definitely took the plunge.

1277347_10152305935658482_1743942119_o.jpg

You'll also get a map distributed to your room with your name and the date of crossing.

Great itinerary. The contrast between Singapore and Bali was such a contrast.

One day we'll be on a cruise together. Unfortunately next year for us it looks to be on Celebrity.

Edited by absolutboy20

We crossed Barcelona to Rio and the Crossing the Equator ceremony was great fun - and we all got a certificate to say that we had graduated from Pollywog to Shellback status.

On this occasion it was, I think, all crew and officers who were 'treated' to trial and tribulation, and many ended in the water, including the captain (who removed his shoes first) and the CD (who, unfortunately, didn't) All had great fun and it was taken in good spirit.