Beaches and snorkeling -- pictures and discriptions

slabeaume

A lot of people are asking about the "best" places to snorkel on St. Thomas. During 4 trips there, we've snorkeled Limetree, Bolongo Cay, Secret Beach, Cowpet, Sapphire, Smith's, Coki, and Megan's---loved them all. I decided to put together a blog of the beaches and some of what we saw above and below water at each one. Maybe it'll help someone decide where they want to go.

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2014/08/beaches-and-snorkeling-on-st-thomas.html

Edited by slabeaume

A lot of people are asking about the "best" places to snorkel on St. Thomas. During 4 trips there, we've snorkeled Limetree, Bolongo Cay, Secret Beach, Cowpet, Sapphire, Smith's, Coki, and Megan's---loved them all. I decided to put together a blog of the beaches and some of what we saw above and below water at each one. Maybe it'll help someone decide where they want to go.

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2014/08/beaches-and-snorkeling-on-st-thomas.html

Awesome blog and great pictures! :cool: Thanks!!

Thank you for this! There were 2 spots you had that I have yet to snorkel so this helped a lot for my next visit! It was much better than saying this is "good" or "bad".

Great stuff! I'd love to hear about Trunks Bay. We will be visiting for the 1st time the last week of Aug. I cannot decide if we want to explore St Thomas or head over to St John... I love to snorkel, but my GF does not. Need to find a balance for both of us.

Thanks!

Great stuff! I'd love to hear about Trunks Bay. We will be visiting for the 1st time the last week of Aug. I cannot decide if we want to explore St Thomas or head over to St John... I love to snorkel, but my GF does not. Need to find a balance for both of us.

Thanks!

If you have a longer day on port and there aren't a lot of ships in Trunk is nice and offers some snorkeling. But we'd choose Sapphire or Secret Harbor for that day, and Sapphire would be our first choice for the abundant natural shade and nice views and great snorkeling options.

What kind of camera did you use?

Thanks!

That's a tough question. If you've never been there before, it may not be as fun to rent a car and try to explore St. Thomas on your own. But it does take time to get to St. John and back, so unless you're in port for a long time, that may be rushed. I understand there are trails at Trunk bay. There's also a gift shop and snack bar there. Otherwise, it's a pretty small area. I did add some pictures of our trip to St. John onto this blog for Trunk Bay and Hawksnest Bay, maybe they can help you decide.

What kind of camera did you use?

Some of the pictures in this blog are with an Olympus TG 830. Some are with my older Canon D10 or D20. After my Canons gave out, I decided to give the Olympus a try. So far so good. An occasional above water picture might be with my Canon DSLR.