Suites on the Sun vs the Star?

JimS4210

We just came back a few weeks ago from our first ever cruise, a NB to Alaska on the Sun. We were in 9076 which is an aft Penthouse Suite. The room was awesome, better than we expected with a huge balcony.

I guess we've gotten the cruise bug since we booked our next one while still on the ship. :) We booked a cruise to Norway on the Star next year and the aft views were so great that we picked another aft Penthouse Suite, specifically 9232.

Has anyone stayed in Suites on both ships and, if so, what do you think of the Star? I hate to say it, but after looking at some Youtube videos and online pics, the Sun rooms seem a lot bigger with a much deeper balcony. The Star does have the nicer coffee machine and our room, 9232, has the wraparound balcony. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Jim

I've never sailed on the Star, but that specific Sun cabin (9076) will always be one of my favorites! Such a great cabin - glad you enjoyed it as much as we did & welcome to cruise addiction!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just came back a few weeks ago from our first ever cruise, a NB to Alaska on the Sun. We were in 9076 which is an aft Penthouse Suite. The room was awesome, better than we expected with a huge balcony.

I guess we've gotten the cruise bug since we booked our next one while still on the ship. :) We booked a cruise to Norway on the Star next year and the aft views were so great that we picked another aft Penthouse Suite, specifically 9232.

Has anyone stayed in Suites on both ships and, if so, what do you think of the Star? I hate to say it, but after looking at some Youtube videos and online pics, the Sun rooms seem a lot bigger with a much deeper balcony. The Star does have the nicer coffee machine and our room, 9232, has the wraparound balcony. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Jim

Deck 10 afts on the Star have bigger balconies than 9. We were in a deck 10 aft in 2012 and the balcony was huge.

Our first NCL cruise was in 9076 on the Sun- - best and most favorite stateroom we've ever had.

Found you a couple youtube videos for 9232 on the Star. First is just a short tour

Second video is longer and gives you a really good idea of the balcony size. It is narrow and long versus deep and wide. The side wrap portion is really not for sitting but would be great for standing and viewing.

We've been on the Star several times, once in an aft facing stateroom. Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we do ours.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm sure I'll have a great time on the Star. It looks like a great ship and the itinerary is awesome. We had such a great time on the Sun and loved the room we had. I'm just worried that we got spoiled by such a beautiful room and it's all downhill from here... :D

We probably should've started with an inside cabin on our first cruise and worked our way up from there! Lol...

I know, I know! First world problems! :)

Jim

We're in 9076 in a week and a half and can't wait! Have heard so many good things about the aft penthouse suites on the Sun, but for whatever reason, this one seems to be everyone's favorite.

Deck 10 afts on the Star have bigger balconies than 9. We were in a deck 10 aft in 2012 and the balcony was huge.

I have an Aft Facing Penthouse Suite on the Star (8172) for an upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

How are the balconies on Deck 8...specifically 8172?

Do the balconies become smaller as the decks go down?

Thanks.

Don

We're in 9076 in a week and a half and can't wait! Have heard so many good things about the aft penthouse suites on the Sun, but for whatever reason, this one seems to be everyone's favorite.

Fabulous balcony has something to do with it :)

DSCN1167_zpsc719b60b.jpg

7b8e58d6-286f-43c8-9d80-0fc8dddb2f2e_zps1ef1b796.jpg

Have a wonderful cruise :)

It sure was our favorite. I haven't been in an aft suite on the Star, just forward, which I think is the same. I think the furniture is darker and way more modern than the cherry, more traditional in 9076. Plus there's not the separate living room and bedroom, and the bathroom isn't as large as that in 9076. However, for Norway, I guess the Star would do. :D :D I'd sure take it.

For those of you who want to remember your 9076 balcony:

IMG_0350%20with%20cabin%20outlined-M.jpg

Suite3-M.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm sure I'll have a great time on the Star. It looks like a great ship and the itinerary is awesome. We had such a great time on the Sun and loved the room we had. I'm just worried that we got spoiled by such a beautiful room and it's all downhill from here... :D Jim

We are on the Baltics cruise just before your fjords itinerary. It will be our 3rd time on the Star. We really like the suites on deck 12 forward without balconies. We didn't miss the balcony on our Iceland cruise at all.

The Star is in need of some updating. The good news is she is scheduled for dry dock on the west coast in March 2015.

We are on the Baltics cruise just before your fjords itinerary. It will be our 3rd time on the Star. We really like the suites on deck 12 forward without balconies. We didn't miss the balcony on our Iceland cruise at all.

The Star is in need of some updating. The good news is she is scheduled for dry dock on the west coast in March 2015.

We will be on the Star in June in one of the family suites w/o balconies. Do you have any photos that show the interior of the suite?

Thanks!

We will be on the Star in June in one of the family suites w/o balconies. Do you have any photos that show the interior of the suite?Thanks!

Check out this thread from computerworks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1624624

His pictures are of the same SJ suite we were in last year. I'm hoping that with the March 2015 dry dock work, maybe the orange curtains will be replaced? If not, we brought along some cording material to tie the middle curtains together so we could take full advantage of the view.

There are also several videos on youtube of these suites. You'll love it - very spacious and the bathroom is terrific.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Check out this thread from computerworks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1624624

His pictures are of the same SJ suite we were in last year. I'm hoping that with the March 2015 dry dock work, maybe the orange curtains will be replaced? If not, we brought along some cording material to tie the middle curtains together so we could take full advantage of the view.

There are also several videos on youtube of these suites. You'll love it - very spacious and the bathroom is terrific.

Herdingdogmom - Thanks for the link. Pictures were wonderful.

One question: Is the dressing table in the main room - part of the desk area?

I couldn't tell from photos.

Thanks!

Herdingdogmom - Thanks for the link. Pictures were wonderful.

One question: Is the dressing table in the main room - part of the desk area?

I couldn't tell from photos.

Thanks!

There is plenty of room to dress or apply makeup in the bathroom. The hair dryer and electrical outlets are on the end of the desk closest to the stateroom door with the large mirror. The room is a large and open floor plan.

No wraparounds on 10 though.

We just were in 9232 for a Baltics cruise. I cannot compare it to the Sun, but it was pretty great. I spent a lot of time on that balcony.

• 6 months later...

Thank you! We are in 0065 right above yours which is supposed to be the same but NCL just verified that ours has been changed to a one room suite like the ones on 12 fwd on most of the ships. It will still be nice tho-with the big balcony!