Upgrade or No?...

KLag

Ok, so I just got a call AND an email this afternoon from the Upsell Fairy - the call (voicemail) was trying to promote a balcony, and the email I got was as follows:

This is *** ********* with Carnival Cruise Lines. I am reaching out to you regarding your cruise on the Carnival SENSATION departing 8/17/2014. Carnival Cruise Lines recently came out with limited special rates for higher category staterooms on your sailing and because we believe in making your vacation fun and memorable, I wanted to give you the opportunity to upgrade at a promotional rate.

Please call me now at the number below for details, as this rare opportunity is time sensitive and will not last!

Space is very limited and I cannot guarantee the availability of this opportunity. Please be sure to reference your booking number ****** when you call. I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Is it worth it? I hate calling people, and would prefer not to if they're just going to try and sell me something for an incredibly bloated price. We got a porthole cabin for a pretty decent price, and if the "offer" is going to be hundreds and hundreds of dollars (ie more than we paid), then I wouldn't do it. Or am I possibly missing out on something good?

You'll have to call and see! My experience is that the upsell is usually astronomical. That said, I've done it! Once I upgraded from an OV to a grand suite. It was expensive, though. Fix your mind on what you'll pay and then give a call.

We were on that same cruise in May. We had originally booked a window cabin. We got the offer to upgrade to the balcony for an additional $300. We took it and it was the first time we had a balcony room and I must tell you that it was well worth it for us! We have since booked another cruise for next May and well..... once you have a balcony.... you'll never go back to just a window. Whatever you do hope you have a fabulous time!! :)

I have had a few calls in the past and recently a couple of emails regarding different upgrades. Some have been crazy while others have been very reasonable. I would for sure make sure you know the prices and then call and find out what they are offering;)

For the time it takes for you to come on here & type your post, you could've called & ask.

Always keep in mind an approx amount that you're comfy with for the upgrade.

We had a $150 per person max cap in mind for our upgrade from interior to balcony before we called our TA for our Magic cruise next wk, when she came back with a little over $100 per person for 2 connecting balcony cabins, we took them both...

I upgraded last month. I booked in February or so, and had been watching the site almost daily for price drops, but never saw any until last month.

I didn't want to jump on the interior guarantee since it was possible to get the single (bunk) beds, and we were in the cabin next to two of our friends going. But then I saw that the balcony guarantee was $120 more ($60pp), and I decided to jump at that since we had never had a balcony before.

And then within the next two weeks there were more price drops, eventually making the balcony guarantee only $20 more ($10pp). The first time we were moved to deck 10 or so near the front. The next time, they literally moved us to a balcony directly across the hallway from our friends which made it even more awesome.