An 11 year old girl reviews the Getaway!!

rocky55

Hi! We are back! So we checked out of the hotel, and a taxi took us to the cruise ship. The ride over was pretty fast, and I liked looking at the pretty buildings and seeing all the cruise ships made me more excited to get on. We live in New Jersey, and leaving out of New Jersey or New York is close, but I like to leave out of Miami more. I like to leave out of Miami more because I get to go on a plane, and Miami is different and seeing all the cruise ships lined up makes me more excited.

We did our bags, and the guy who took our bags was funny. He was nice. We went through security, there was no line so it was easy breezy getting in. For the first time we had a suite, so we checked in a different place. We have stayed in rooms with no window, to balconies to this time a suite. (It was my moms first suite also. :) ) I would much rather to go on a cruise no matter what kind of room, than not go at all. When I was in the room with no windows, my mom and I went with other people, so the room mattered even less because we had lots of people to hang out with.

So we checked in and got ready to board. From the outside of the ship, I really don't like either artwork, so that was the same to me. Getting on the ship, I love how they have music playing, a clown gave us candy getting on the ship, and the people were dancing. They had people dancing on the Breakaway, but they didn't have the clown and the Getaway had a band which I liked. First walking inside looked pretty much the same as the Breakaway, but the colors are different, and I liked the Getaway colors more. We checked out the Haven area, which was very nice. Next we had lunch. Than we went to check out our room. I knew what it looked like from youtube. I really liked our room. Than we unpacked which I like to do. Oh, and at some point we had the life boat thing. It was kinda boring.

Than we went to see the magic show Illusionarium. I really liked the show. I would give it a 9 1/2. I didn't like the food at all. I would eat somewhere else if I were you. Next I went to the kids camp. Oh, I went earlier in the day to the kids camp to sign up. I am glad I went to the kids camp on the first day. I met a girl my age waiting in line to get in. We stayed friends the whole trip and I gave her my number to stay in touch. I was with the 10-12 year olds. The first night we met the counselors. We played a lot of sport games. I really didn't like that part. I really don't like sporty games. But I still had fun because I met a friend. The 10-12 year olds can sign themselves out if the parents allow them to. My mom gave me that option. You have to stay at least 2 hours to sign yourself out. I have a story about that I will tell you when I get to that part. My mom picked me up and we watched Modern family which we brought with us. We watched for a little while before we fell asleep. (I love that show, we just started watching.)

I will write more soon. I did have a great vacation BTW. We did a lot in the ports which I am excited to tell you about.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We woke after 10. We were both tired from the day before. We went to the cruise critic thing. I liked the muffins that passed out, it was ok besides that. I know my mom likes to go. We did see people we saw the night before, I liked talking with them. Than we both had a lobster roll outside. I really like eating outside. It is so pretty and something I can not do at home. Next I met my new friend at the main pool. We made plans to meet at 12. At the pool we went in the kids pool. It was kinda crowded so we went to the hot tub. The hot tub was nice. I wish there was more pools, because it was kinda crowded. Than we went to the arcade. The arcade was fun. The other girls mom was with us, but I was able to text my mom from the app we got before we went on board. I don't have a smart phone, but I used my moms old IPhone. I loved being able to text my mom. When we were on the Breakaway the app didn't work good. I don't know if its because they made it better, or because the last time I used an ipod not my moms old Iphone.

When I was done with the arcade, my mom was meeting me at the elevators. The other mom and friend left a couple of minutes early and I waited for my mom. I did tell her the wrong elevators to meet at. I thought I was in the front of the ship, and I was in the back. I was able to text her, and she found me. We decided that if I wasn't in the kids camp, we would not be apart. I am glad I could text her even though it was only a couple of minutes. It shows it is such a big ship anyone could get lost easy.

subscribed and following along to hear all about your trip! Thank you for taking the time to do this. I am currently researching a trip on the Getaway in January, and our 9 year old granddaughter will be coming with. You are doing a great job with your writing so far! No doubt you will reach your dream of becoming an author one day!!

Hi. After the arcade we went to this thing called behind the scenes. That was boring. My mom liked it though. It was really long, over 2 hours. My feet hurt, and I was bored and the smell in the garbage area was gross. I do think if they had one just for kids that was about 30 minutes that showed the backstage of the magic show, a quick tour of the kitchen, the bridge, and it would be great if they could show where a crew member sleeps. Since they don't have a kids one yet, I would not suggest this to kids. Kids don't care about how the garbage is done, or the laundry.

than we went back to our room to relax. Than we got ready for dinner. We went to the Japanese place for dinner. I really liked it. I liked it because our waitor guy was funny. I know you can do it on land, but we don't do it much on land, and it seems more fun at sea. I would definitely suggest going there. The food was good, but dessert was not. They could make the dessert better. For now, I would suggest going to the buffet or the Bakery shop for dessert.

After dinner we went to the room where we watched - guess what? Modern family! ^-^ Than sleep.

The next day we had breakfast to our room. I like getting room service because its relaxing and of course you can watch Modern Family. LOL Than I went to the kids camp. My friend was there. I called her room and knew she would be. I also met 2 other friends. We did the WII and circus stuff. I liked that day. For lunch we ate at the haven. I thought it was good. I liked it a lot. It was a pasta thing. Than my mom and I went in the hot tub and swimming. I like doing that. Than we played some arcade games and that ball game, I think it's called ski ball at o:sheenans. That was a lot of fun. And I beat my mom at the driving game. Ha!! :P

Than we got ready for dinner. That night we ate at Ocean Blue. I love getting dressed up, so I like going out to nice restaurants. We really never do at home so its great when we do. The food was good, and it makes me feel special. :) We than went to sleep. My mom said we were getting up early at our first port. St martin. I will write about that soon.

.....and wants to be a cruise director one day. I wish he had the initiative to do this. Thank you for putting your view on display for all to see. It definitely will help kids with their thoughts about cruising.

:)

wasiii

Today we were going to St. Martin. We got up early and had breakfast in the room. I was creeped out because I heard there would maybe be topless ladies at the beach. Anyway, we did bernards tours. Our driver was named DJ Dave, he was nice and funny. First we went to a beach, the water was rough but I still had fun. I got knocked over once, but still had fun. Than we went shopping and got dessert at this french pastry place. It was yummy! We did stop along the way to take pictures. That part was ok. At one place there was a guy showing sea urchans, they were gross. Than we went to the airplane beach. That was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the day. I would definitely suggest these to kids. Oh, and I didn't see any topless ladies! :) This was fun and interesting day. I would give this tour a 9 1/2. DJ made it more fun.

We got back to the pier before we had to. We looked around at the stores for a bit, but didn't buy anything. We were tired from having a long day so we went back to the ship early. I am going to sleep now, I will write more tomorrow.

This is a great review!

My daughters and I will be on the Getaway in September, and they are 10 and 11. We've been trying to find information on the kids club activities, so if you have any more information later in your review about that I know they'll appreciate it.

Like you, they've both been on cruises before, even this exact same itinerary, but this will be the first time on the Getaway.

Thanks for sharing your perspective!

This is great! My son is 11 and he and I cruise a lot. (many times just the 2 of us, sometimes with other friends and family) Neat to hear it was you and your Mom.

We are doing the Getaway in January and we will have our 1st suite.

You are doing a fabulous job with this review. I wish I could get my son to write one. All he ever says after our cruises is . It was great mom! Thanks

Hi. I am back! :) The night we went to St. Martin, we ate at the Haven restaurant. I had a chicken dish that was a special made with ham and cheese. I liked it a lot. For dessert we had this chocolate dessert. It was a volcano thing. It was good. I liked the waitresses a lot. They knew my name, and made me feel special. Than we were off to sleep.

The next day was St. Thomas day. Oh, I forgot to mention that my mom and I love to watch dock runners, you know people running for the ship that are late. It is so funny! We were able to watch from our balcony that day. There was another ship on the other side, so both ships got into it. There was a kid not much older than me and her parents running for the ship, the kid was running much faster than her parents, like she saying to bad suckers I am making this ship even if you don't. :) This is one of my favorite things to do on a cruise. Oh have to go, write more soon.

In St. Thomas we took a boat ride to St. John. I thought the boat ride over was fun, but it was rough and my mom felt sea sick, so that made me feel bad. She forgot her medicine for sea sickness. Anyway, at St. John, we had to take a short taxi ride. I liked the taxi ride and seeing the beaches and the trees. The beach at St. John was the prettiest I have seen. It was called Trunk Bay. My mom wanted to go snorkeling. I was afraid at first, I was afraid that the fish would touch me, or seeing a shark. My mom encouraged me to go. I was nervous in the beginning and wanted to quit. My mom asked me to do a little more. Than I started liking it and I am so glad I pushed myslef to do it. It was pretty!! I wish we had more time there. It was fun.

Soon it was time to go back to the boat back to St. Thomas. My mom bought medicine at the store, so she felt better going back. Going there we sat inside, going back we sat up top outside. It was so pretty, but a little hot. My mom doesn't usually let me drink soda, but she let me get one on the boat back. :)

Once we got back to St. Thomas, my mom said we could go shopping or take this tram up this hill, but I was really tired so I wanted to go back on the ship. We got some food to the room. I would give this trip to St. Thomas a 10 out of 10. (I do love the beach!)

I am loving this review! You have such an honest and refreshing way of telling us all about your day's activities. You seem to appreciate most things and are able to go with the flow when it's not exactly your favorite thing.

Excellent job, young lady!

You are adorable! Great job with your review. I look forward to more and I will be encouraging my 7 yr old niece to do this after we sail Breakaway in early November. It is wonderful to hear a kid's perspective and the things that make it special for them.

Thanks!

Edited by conandrob240

After we rested a bit, we watched the dock runners again. Than we got ready for dinner. That night we ate at Le Bistro. As I said before, I love to get dressed up. At home we don't go out for dinner much. My parents are divorced and I live with my mom, and she works a lot. My brother who is 15 is autistic. (I do have a half brother with my dad who is 4). My older brother gets overwhelmed a lot, so that also makes things hard when we go out. We did go on a cruise with him once, which was good, but a different experience. Thats why I love to be able to spend some alone time with my mom. I think thats why I like to go out to the dinners on the ship.

Le bistro was really good! It is one of my favorites on the ship. We were full by dessert, so we asked if we could have the desserts to go, and they said yes. It was nice to eat them in the room doing guess what????