Midnight Buffets

bigapples

I amaze myself with the amount of food I pack in during a cruise but honestly- who can eat a hot dog and chili before bed?

Me me! :D

I am one of those people who skips breakfast and cannot eat until midday so my appetite is on delay. Hubby and I once ordered a Indian takeaway at 2 in the morning because we had been up having a movie marathon and forgot to eat. :)

I really liked the Midnight Mexican buffet on the Legend last year. I had skipped MDR and not eaten anything to prepare. I tried lots of different things including Octopus but Carnival's Guacamole is rather sub par. We ate lots of food then went to Serenity aft to enjoy the night air.

Hubby took lots of pics of all the fruit and ice carvings dotted around.

25-30 years ago Carnival used to have a Chocolate unveiling ( pictures only ) in the MDR at midnight near the end of the cruise. It filled the entire first floor. The next day all of the chocolate was served to eat. They also had a midnight buffet, and also a late night buffet at 1.30 am. Yes I have been cruising Carnival since 1981.

Good to know! Was this in the Lido buffet, or set up somewhere else? I'll be sailing on her soon.

It is on the lido deck, inside. Same place where they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Edited by joeyancho

Just off the Sunshine and there was a late night buffet...the buffet was unimpressive for the most part...the late night was the same food every night, grilled ham and cheese, hot dogs, a chicken sandwich, potato chips, fixings for those sandwiches, some fruit, some cookies and brownies...none of it looked very appetizing..we would go to get a glass of water and a glass of iced tea to take our evening medications and would see the buffet. There was also ice cream from the soft serve machines although we never tried it, pizza....had a slice one day and it was tasty...and room service.

Yep, this is what was served on the buffet, across from the pizza on "Liberty". Pretty good stuff, and especially the grilled ham and cheese! :D

"SKY"

Probably not like they used to. Some ships have a "Midnight Mexican Buffet", and some a "Midnight Chocolate Buffet", but I know of none who offer the great Midnight Buffets like they offered years ago. They said there simply was too much waste, so they discontinued them. ;)

"SKY"

I remember the midnight buffets from my 1999, 2000, and 2002 cruises, all different cruiselines, but all equally amazing. I can see though, that there was way too much waste. First, a lot of it look way too good and pretty to eat! Secondly, midnight is not a time that most people are used to eating copious amounts of "beautiful" food, such as was presented on those buffets. And yes, I always suspected that much of it went to waste.

I am glad that I got to see those beautiful displays, but I am also glad that there is no longer such a vast waste of food.

I think that for those who are still hungry at late hours, then pizza place, and room service, is adequate to fill the void. Also deli is open till 11pm. And it seems that occasionally there are other late night offerings/snacks on some ships at late hours as well.

I also got to see an amazing Midnight Buffet on Holland Americas Maasdam in 1997. But i agree with getting rid of them. Too much waste.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I saw one on Royal Caribbean in 1982.

It was beautiful.

We looked and took some photos, but we did not eat.

My first cruise in 2006 I attended a Midnight Gala Buffet. I never saw another one since. It was awesome! Sorry to see it go. I do understand why though.

We also saw it on our first cruise in 2006 on the Legend and it was amazing! The next cruise a year later it was a very scaled back version on the lido and then it became the Mexican buffet deck party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was an 11:30-1:00am Mexican buffet on the Inspiration last week, but I didn't partake. My belly can't handle a massive load of burritos and salsa at that hour if sleep is going to happen at any point afterwards.

There was an 11:30-1:00am Mexican buffet on the Inspiration last week, but I didn't partake. My belly can't handle a massive load of burritos and salsa at that hour if sleep is going to happen at any point afterwards.

Too late for me to eat also. Do they serve Mexican food earlier on the cruise, say at lunch or dinner in the Lido buffet?

All ships that have concerted over to 2.0 have also eliminated the late night Mexican Feast. The lack of food after Midnight is sad. I do like that NCL has a 24 hour café that you can sit and order from a menu.

On the 2.0 ships you still have 24 hour pizza and room service.

• 3 months later...
Yep, you're correct on that statement. It's been quite a while since I saw the chocolate buffet thingy late at night, and now, as you stated, it's in the afternoon, or on some ships, during lunch on the last sea day. ;)

"SKY"

The only Chocoholic Buffet I have ever seen was on my first two cruises on NCL, at midnight. Never knew Carnival had one. Always missed it in the Fun Times. Will definitely look for it this next February on the Magic though. I wondered too, at the buffet on NCL, not only did they have a lot of yummy chocolate desserts, but they had very elaborate chocolate sculptures. I was always too full to eat anymore, but always went just to take pictures. Of course this was back in 1998-2000. Is it anything like that on Carnival, or is it just all chocolate desserts?