Triumph vs. Magic?

TXGalAJ

I love the Magic because I love how new and big it is but it usually is quite a bit more expensive. I also really like the Triumph. If you are talking about going soon when the Triumph is still doing the 4 & 5 day and the Magic is 7 days, I would probably go with whichever length you want to do.

MAGIC!!!

I've sailed on the Triumph, and on the Magic's sister ship, the Dream. While the Dream is currently my favorite ship in the Carnival fleet, the Triumph is my least favorite. Both the Triumph, and her sister ship, the Victory, felt more run down/dated and more crowded than even the old Fantasy class ships. Progreso is also my least favorite port that I've visited in the Caribbean.

The only thing that I really liked about the Triumph was the piano bar entertainer that happened to be on board during my cruise, who was the best I've seen on any Carnival ship. Sadly, he has moved on to the Wynn in Las Vegas and is no longer entertaining on Carnival.

In my experience, Magic is definitely worth the extra money!

If price wasn't an issue, I would have chosen Magic over Triumph for our cruise next August, only because of the ports. Cozumel has several excursions that interest us but we didn't even get off the ship in Progresso. We aren't party people, the beaches in Progresso aren't as nice as other places and the ruins are nice but they don't interest us in the August heat and there wasn't any real shopping near the pier.

The Triumph is nice but a little tired. We sailed 2 months after she returned to service and had expectations that the cabins would have been "spruced up" but that was not the case to us. The drawers didn't fit well (I couldn't get one to open and another one to close). We couldn't get the balcony door to lock most of the time and my kids were disappointed that the soft serve ice cream machines frequently weren't working especially near the end of the cruise. We weren't impressed with the one show we went to see in the Rome Main Lounge but we did enjoy the adult comedy show. The staff were great and overall we had a good time.

I think it would depend on where you want to go. Both are good ships. Both have flaws. The Triumph is smaller. It does have the 2.0 upgrades and even though I like Guys burgers it would not be my deciding factor. With the Triumph being a smaller ship it seems to glide better on the water. The Magic is much bigger, more updated and all around nicer. It does not have guys burgers but it makes up for that easily. The itineraries on the Magic far outweigh those of the Triumph.

I do not think you will disappointed in whatever ship you choose.

I sailed on the Triumph recently and have sailed on the Magic. I liked the Alchemy bar on the Triumph. I missed the abundance of shady areas on deck that are available on the Magic. Finding a space to relax during the day (out of the sun) on the Triumph, was a true challenge.

I found the Lido buffet to be poor on the Triumph compared to the Magic's fair.

The main dining rooms were comparable. I sail inside cabins and they were essentially the same on both ships. Staff was friendly and professional on both ships. I had massages at the spa on both ships. Great service.

We lucked out! We booked the Triumph due to its 5 day itinerary, and price and ended up in the middle of the switch over to a new itinerary, and they reassigned us to the Magic for 6 days vs. 5 and an extra port at no extra charge! SO excited. Have always wanted to try the Magic.

Having sailed on the Magic twice and the Triumph once, I would choose the Magic every time. The Magic is a much nicer ship, Serenity deck was never crowded on the Magic and the food on the Magic is hands down better than the Triumph. Cove balconies on the Magic are great as are the Spa balconies.

Haven't been on Carnival in years. Want to sail on one of these out of Galveston. Is one ship better than the other?

Magic without question. Even though I seem to recall the layout of the lido buffet was a bit better on the Triumph. But the Magic has the Cloud 9 Spa Rooms. I will not sail unless I can get a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony room.

Personally I like them both. If I was just going with my husband I would pick the Triumph; with my son in tow the Magic. Triumph has the 2.0 which includes Guy's Burgers and Blue Iguana taco bar. Magic has the large waterworks area for kiddos, Red Frog Pub, and the Steak and Italian (extra fee) restaurant choices.

Magic without question. Even though I seem to recall the layout of the lido buffet was a bit better on the Triumph. But the Magic has the Cloud 9 Spa Rooms. I will not sail unless I can get a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony room.

Not to completely derail the thread, but what does a Cloud 9 Spa room offer, vs. a typical balcony? My wife and I were talking about this the other day and I wasn't sure.

BTW, I have sailed both, and the Magic is far and away a better ship overall. There are small things about both that I either dislike or like, but overall, Magic is a clear winner.

Not to completely derail the thread, but what does a Cloud 9 Spa room offer, vs. a typical balcony? My wife and I were talking about this the other day and I wasn't sure.

BTW, I have sailed both, and the Magic is far and away a better ship overall. There are small things about both that I either dislike or like, but overall, Magic is a clear winner.

IMHO There is not much difference, a different color scheme inside the room and a few upgraded soaps, spa access and discounts. If you love going to the spa it may be worth it but it wasn't in my case. Still had a great time and it was nice. Going to stick with regular balconies.

This is why I preferred the Cloud 9:

1. Obviously access to the Spa. I am a hot tub and sauna rat. Visited a couple times a day. Probably spent 25 or more hours there. Was a godsend on the last sea day as frankly that was pretty boring. For me anymore, no Spa means no cruise.

2. Easy access to the large showers in both the Fitness Center and Spa. We were on deck 11. Took the private stairs to deck 12. I much preferred showering in those HUGE private showers with unlimited towels rather than the micro-shower in our room.

3. Much less noise/traffic in the hallway. Not many cabins on that floor. Not thorough fare, destination, etc. for anyone except those with a cabin on that floor.

4. No view obstruction, noise, or distraction from the deck 5 Lanai. I can easily see noise, smoke front he sea side grill, etc making its way up the the balconies on deck 6,7 and maybe 8. I think the ocean view on deck 6 and maybe deck 7 would be impacted by deck 5 (again I think...not sure).

5. No smoking on the balconies. I can enjoy my balcony without have my lifespan shortened.

6. Toiletires, robes, slippers. different decor....heck I don't care about that stuff. My wife liked it.

7. Easy access to the lido deck/buffett without having to walk through the main pool. Just stay on deck 11, walk toward the back of the ship. Once you are beyond the pool area, just head down the steps and bingo..your there.

8. Less families with kids on that deck. Most families look to save a little money which they can by not booking on the spa deck. Kids cannot go into the spa so it makes no sense anyway.

9. And some might disagree with this, but my personal take is that you are safer the higher up you are (fire, explosion, riot, sinking ship, etc).

Drawbacks?

1. A couple bucks more. But when we book it was cheaper to get the Cloud 9 room than it would have cost to buy the spa package.

2. Potentially more motion issues, but none of us are prone to getting sea sick. Our last cruise had perfectly smooth seas so really don't know about this.

3. Further to the life boats.

4. Further to the MDRs. But we are all athletic and don't mind the stairs. Actually try to do the stairs as much as possible.

No contest - the Magic is by far the best ship. We found the Triumph to have no shade at all - even in their tiny Serenity deck. The Magic has hot tubs in the aft and both sides - never crowded. Beautiful couches and chairs on the 10th (or 11th?) deck aft - so relaxing to sink into them and watch the wake. Great Indian food back there, also. Lots of entertainment mid ship on deck 5; salad bar and bbq on the lanai on sea days; this is now our favorite Carnival ship and we have done many. Triumph is our very least favorite, and the only one we have gotten seasick on.

I like'em both!!!

TRIUMPH has new restaurants and it's a bit smaller. Guy's Burger really is a wonderful feature!!

MAGIC, for me has a better handicapped cabin selection -- with some 4Js on Lido deck. This makes it easier in the mornings. I LOVE the Tandoori Restaurant for lunch.

Choose for the cruise. Chose for the cost. I find the per night charge is higher on the TRIUMPH, but the overall, since it's fewer days is more expensive on the 4-5 day cruises. I look forward to trying some of her longer cruises -- and will LOVE the Triumph for those!!

I guess I'm no help. I'll chose both for cruising!!!

We have sailed both and loved both. Magic is a bigger, "grander" ship if you will and sails for 7 days which we love. Triumph is smaller and usually sails 4-5 day cruises but has Guys Burger Joint which we loved! We usually only sail on 7 day cruises, but this past year they were having a big sale and we were able to sail Triumph very cheap and couldn't pass it up. My husband loves the Red Frog Pub on the Magic and missed it when we sailed the Triumph.

I have sailed the Magic and a number of other ships in Carnival's fleet (past and present). In my experience, a ship is a ship. They are all Carnival and will all have the same general look, feel and atmosphere. The differences are subtle and likely only noticeable by frequent Carnival passengers. Those details that will never be as important as itinerary, length, dates and cost.

Edited by T. Advisor King

I have been on both. I am actually leaving on the 25th on the Triumph for a 5 day cruise. I will be on the Magic for the 3rd time come April. I haven't been on the Triumph since its refurb. But I liked it pre-refurb. It is one of my favorite ships and I am one of the few who enjoy Progresso. I intend to do a review once I get back from the Triumph....