Questions about Cruising to New England and Canada

Karen1956

My DH and I will be cruising to New England and Canada on the Splendor on October 4th. I'd like to know what the weather is like during that time. What did you wear while at the ports? And what about when you were on the ship, is it warm enough for shorts, etc.?

Thank you for your help!

Karen

We've done that itinerary a few times and once at the end of September. It was surprisingly warm in Canada so it very well could be warm enough for shorts in early October, but I would pack jeans too just in case its cool. It could also be warm, shorts weather in NYC for sail away, but you never know. I would definitely pack a jacket/sweater for evenings as it definitely gets cool and sometimes foggy at night. We are on the Splendor again on 10/16 to the Caribbean so I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DH and I will be cruising to New England and Canada on the Splendor on October 4th. I'd like to know what the weather is like during that time. What did you wear while at the ports? And what about when you were on the ship, is it warm enough for shorts, etc.?

Thank you for your help!

Karen

We live in New England, about an hour north of Boston. The weather in early October can vary, but by then we are usually wearing jeans and sweaters. Obviously the more north you go (Canada) the cooler it will be.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/portland-me/04101/month/329157?monyr=10/01/2014

Hope this helps.

Highly variable. I would prepare for cold, as in at sea with the wind blowing in the mid-40's, and warm (sometimes it gets beautiful- mid 70's or higher). I live in Buffalo, right on the Canadian border but very south of where you'll be. We've had snow in October many times. :(

I would tend to pack more jeans, T's and sweatshirts, capris too, maybe though only one shorts just in case it is warm. I live in Canada, and wearing shorts in early October is not the norm, though it happens from year to year, just hard to predict. I am looking at this cruise for late September 2015, and would pack less summer clothes, but more fall clothes.

Would you book a balcony for this itinerary or would it be too cold to enjoy it?

We've gotten a balcony on each Canadian cruise. We still enjoyed it for the most part. Only issue is if it's overcast and windy. If there is sun it's still enjoyable.

I live in New-Brunswick, Canada, and i've never worn shorts in October!! Definately jeans and long sleeves. It's not rare to have our first snow in October, although you are early October, so you probably won't see any.

Bring a warm jacket as well (in the Fall, i usually wear a North Face fleece jacket), if that can give you an idea.

Grew up outside of Boston and Maine (am now in Upstate NY) and I agree with everyone that says the weather can vary. There is an old joke that if you don't like weather, just wait 3 hours. Another joke was "You know you are from Maine if you use the A/C and the heat in the same day."

You will probably be fine with jeans and a sweatshirt. My advice is to wear layers.

Have a great time!

Would you book a balcony for this itinerary or would it be too cold to enjoy it?

Too cold is a matter of preference. Honestly the thing I hate most about cruising is the Caribbean itineraries where it's too darn hot. 50s is the sweet spot for me, the the 60s I expect are acceptable. If I had a balcony on a Caribbean voyage, I'd just wind up keeping the door closed to let the A/C keep up. I enjoy a cruise in the Caribbean in the dead of winter when 85 is preferable to 25, but that's it.

I am actually on this itinerary on Sept. 27 for my Honeymoon. Sadly in an inside cabin as I am poor. But I'd love a balcony. I look forward to relaxing on deck in a sweater, though in relative privacy as everyone is too chicken to enjoy the cold. I actually am kind of hoping for the predicted polar vortex. I just hope we are not forced to Bermuda. I didn't sign up to go to the beach when I could enjoy beautiful fall.

you really need to check the weather the week before

I've done several NE/Canada cruises in Sept/Oct

I've worn shorts sometimes, gloves and hat in Canada on another

It sucks that you can't pack way ahead of time for these types of cruises

I'm on the Splendor 9/20 cruise

Hoping for CLEAR weather, temperatures aren't as important as no rain/hurricanes!

we did the last week of September it was cold and a little rainy.

one of the things we went for is to see fall colors and it was still too early in the season.

The cruise was nice and beautiful, I am sure you will enjoy ...just bring a jacket with

I have to confess I am more of a beach/Caribbean lover during vacation so take this with a grain of salt, but this was my experience of our Canada/NE cruise:

We went end of July 2011 from NYC. Rainy and cold upon leaving NY so we stayed indoors that day. Fog, mist and cool weather the entire way to Canada. Wore shorts because it was July so that's what I packed. Always wore a light jacket inside the ship since I tend to get cold easily. No lounging outdoors by the pool but we did use the hottubs.

New Brunswick was cold and rainy. Ended up spending that port day in a bar.

Nova Scotia was sunny and shorts weather. Spent every second outside:)

Cruise back to NYC was foggy but no rain. I'm telling you, they use that fog horn when it's foggy and we heard it blast from morning til night during that trip.

I've never had a bad cruise and we were with a large group that made it a ton of fun, but I would never do that itinerary again. Purely a personal preference. Like I stated earlier, when I am on vacation, I prefer beaches and sunshine.

I know a lot of people that love this itinerary so I'm sure you'll have a blast!

I would tend to pack more jeans, T's and sweatshirts, capris too, maybe though only one shorts just in case it is warm. I live in Canada, and wearing shorts in early October is not the norm, though it happens from year to year, just hard to predict. I am looking at this cruise for late September 2015, and would pack less summer clothes, but more fall clothes.

We went the last week of September a few years ago. I froze! We packed blue jeans, sweaters and raincoats. I needed all those and would have liked a heavier coat, hat, and gloves. Then, on the other hand, we went in mid-September another year and were able to wear shorts at the start of the cruise. Be prepared for anything, and remember to pack a raincoat for when it's cold and foggy.

Loved that cruise so much we did it twice, and are looking to book it again next summer.

Edited by Grannycb

Like they say, "if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute."

As an average, i'd prepare for 65 degrees during the day, low 40's early morning and overnight. With that being said, you still may get a 75-80 degree daytime temp. I don't thing hats and gloves are needed but a pair of jeans and long sleeve shirt should be fine. Pack a hoodie just in case. October is a great New England weather month with foliage at it's peak in some places. Enjoy.

Like they say, "if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute."

As an average, i'd prepare for 65 degrees during the day, low 40's early morning and overnight. With that being said, you still may get a 75-80 degree daytime temp. I don't thing hats and gloves are needed but a pair of jeans and long sleeve shirt should be fine. Pack a hoodie just in case. October is a great New England weather month with foliage at it's peak in some places. Enjoy.

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who lives in Connecticut, the further up the coast, the cooler it will be. Maine may see daytime highs in 50's and overnights near freezing

I'm not a beach person (I live 60 miles from New Jersey so if I want to go to a beach I can)

I love historical places - Boston is AWESOME

Give me architecture over sand anytime

It has rained EVERY time I have been to St John (at least 3-4 times)

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who lives in Connecticut, the further up the coast, the cooler it will be. Maine may see daytime highs in 50's and overnights near freezing

I was going to say something very similar. You should definitely check the weather forecast a couple of days before you leave. The 50s for NewEnglanders is probably a light jacket if that. But for someone from Florida (or in the south), they will be looking for a parka. :) So, plan accordingly.

We used to go every summer after school let out (mid-June) before the prices skyrocketed. Some years we find it is warm (mid-70s) and other years it was cold (50s!). I don't mind the latter scenario because I like cold weather cruising, but I end up packing a lot of pants and hoodies/jackets. On our trip last June it was sleeting on the deck during the Dive-In movie. I'd love to go in October.

How about early Sept? We're doing Saint John and Halifax on the Sept 1-6 sailing.

Last time we went in June and it was mostly cold and rainy, although we had a glorious warm and sunny afternoon in Saint John (morning - not so warm and sunny :) )

I have warm clothes and cold clothes picked out. I'll pack when I see the forecast a week or so out.

Cyber Kat, we've done the Labor Day weekend cruise to St. John many times - as we are again right before your cruise! - and the problem with St. John is that the weather can change 3-4 times during the course of a day. Often, around 4 or 5, it gets chilly and rainy or foggy. So, we usually take things that can be modified during the day - by adding a sweater, etc.

you really need to check the weather the week before

I've done several NE/Canada cruises in Sept/Oct

I've worn shorts sometimes, gloves and hat in Canada on another

It sucks that you can't pack way ahead of time for these types of cruises

I'm on the Splendor 9/20 cruise

Hoping for CLEAR weather, temperatures aren't as important as no rain/hurricanes!

Hi Sue.. I'm on your cruise.... our roll call is terrible... are you posting?