Castaway cay 5k

Susiecruisey

I did it on July 4 and did sign up in advance. Not sure if I had to but I did. Just went to guest services and signed up. There were a ton of people doing it and it was hot. They do give out medals and you end right near the gift shop. The gift shop had 5 k shirts for purchase. I took the tram back to the boat to get cleaned up and decided to stop and get my picture taken in front of the boat. There was a photographer there taking pictures. It came our very nice so I purchased it.

Every cruise.

Free. Still.

Except that now they are adding a different 5K onto cruises leaving just after rundisney events. First one will be on the Dream 1/12/15 sailing post Marathon weekend. Second will be after the Princess in Feb. I have been told by rundisney and DCL that it's a separate 5K and they'll still run the normal, free one for others.

In the last nearly-a-year they've started to require signups ahead of time on most/many sailings. Info for your specific cruise is, as always, found in your Navigators. :)

Plastic "winner" medal; same medal they give out for hoop-shooting contests, etc. (except for the paid ones, or at least they'd better be LOL)

Shirts and, I believe, pins that you can buy at the end. Go prepared to buy, and try on those shirts. In October they ran incredibly small, both men's and women's cuts.

I ran the 5k in Sept 2013. We had to meet in the Tube the morning we docked at Castaway. You had to have an ID on you. They gave everyone a bib and went over the running route. It was very very hot and very humid. Hardly any shade. Definetly keep yourself hydrated. We got a little plastic medal at the end and bought the t shirt at the gift shop, I think they were $15-$20 each.

We were glad we did it, but probably wont next time. We will most likely get off the ship early and get more time on the beach. We didnt really think ahead, we ran the race and then had to go back to the ship, change and get our beach bag for the rest of the day. Keep in mind the start/finish of the race is not at the ship, you have to walk a ways to the start line.