QM2 - Insights Progamme

Glosman

Hi,

Have been laid up in bed all day as not well :( but on the plus side, this has given me the time to read through many the informative and often amusing posts to this board.:)

My wife and I are sailing on the 27th Sept eastbound TA. We have only 3 cruises under our belts, all with Celebrity. We are really looking forward to sailing with Cunard and having a leisurely 7 days at sea. Our previous cruises have been very port intensive so this will make a lovely change.

One of the things I am looking forward to is the Guest Speakers and see that these have been detailed on the Ask Cunard website. I was wondering if any of the senior officers give lectures at all? This had just started on our last Celebrity cruise and I found the talks by the senior Engineer and the Environmental Officer were so interesting. To gain an insight into what it takes to keep these huge vessels at sea is just mind blowing.

Thank you.

I remember one in 2010 - Virtual Bridge Tour. It was a PowerPoint presentation showing the different operational areas of the ship as well as the bridge. More recently there has been the unadvertised Behind the Scenes Tour which is limited to about 16-22 passengers or so. It's an actual tour into these areas. If one is fortunate enough to get a place be aware that it does take about 3 hours with stair and ladder climbing. It's not for anybody with mobility impairments or otherwise limited in physical activity.

Hi,

Have been laid up in bed all day as not well :( but on the plus side, this has given me the time to read through many the informative and often amusing posts to this board.:)

My wife and I are sailing on the 27th Sept eastbound TA. We have only 3 cruises under our belts, all with Celebrity. We are really looking forward to sailing with Cunard and having a leisurely 7 days at sea. Our previous cruises have been very port intensive so this will make a lovely change.

One of the things I am looking forward to is the Guest Speakers and see that these have been detailed on the Ask Cunard website. I was wondering if any of the senior officers give lectures at all? This had just started on our last Celebrity cruise and I found the talks by the senior Engineer and the Environmental Officer were so interesting. To gain an insight into what it takes to keep these huge vessels at sea is just mind blowing.

Thank you.

QM2 is just great. We were on her in 2010 we loved her. Insight program's are really informative. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. I don't particularly like the port intensive cruises so generally book cruises where there are lots of sea days. Have a wonderful cruise and tell us all about it on your return

My wife and I are sailing on the 27th Sept eastbound TA. ...

One of the things I am looking forward to is the Guest Speakers and see that these have been detailed on the Ask Cunard website. I was wondering if any of the senior officers give lectures at all? ...

My wife and I will on that 27th Sept eastbound crossing (it will be our seventh QM2 crossing). So far none of the senior officers have given lectures, but if you can get one of the few, precious places on the Behind-the-Scenes tour you will hear informative presentations by the Chief Engineer, the Environmental Officer, and several others including the Captain. This tour sells out fast so get to the Tour Office or to the Concierge (if you have a Grills cabin) instanter. It's a great tour, well worth the $120pp; here is our blog about taking it last year. Bon voyage!

I have been on the Cunard Ships when the Officers have been interviewed by the Entertainments Director in the theatre, I remember Christopher Wells being Interviewed

Highly Amusing.

Edited by Pennbank

Thank you for your replies. I will look into the Behind the Scenes tour. Pmb1, your notes are impressively comprehensive!
Thanks for the extravagant compliment, Glosman. Glad my notes were useful to you. I hope that you get to take that tour and that we get a chance to compare notes about it over drinks in the Commodore Club after you do.

We are on this crossing as well. We are planning a get together over on the roll call thread. The last time I looked, the speakers for our crossing were not listed. I can't wait to go and find the list. Did anything stand out?

Debbie and Steve

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

The Insights Program has always been a highlight of our crossings on the QM2. There is usually a variety of speakers, most of whom we have found to be very interesting.

There are the speakers listed for the Sept 27 voyage

M421

27th September - 4th October

Colin McDowell

Fashion Expert

Cpt. William Wells

Maritime Historian

Sue Cameron

US Journalist and Celebrity Reporter

Capt. Tim Orchard

Aviation

Sue Bowler

Royal Astronomical Society

The crossing before yours doesn't have speakers listed https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/Speakers

PS We have had lovely weather crossing in Sept.

Happy Sailing!

The lectures are given in the Illuminations, you just go there as you would to the theatre. Of course you do get a better choice of seat if you go ahead of time.

The lectures can be seen after 5p.m on the TV in your cabin. Sometimes if I have to miss a lecture being given live, I watch it later that night on the TV.

The lectures (insight programs) are held in Illuminations (one of the two theaters). This is the same theater where the planetarium programs are shown. Also, they have cinema in Illuminations on some evenings (first run movies).

There are no tickets required for the insight lectures. Just come in and find a seat.

You DO need tickets for the planetarium shows. You get the tickets (FREE of charge) on deck 2 forward---at a desk near the computer room.

The Daily Program---the ship's "newspaper" will be delivered to your cabin each evening, so you can find out the activities and entertainments, in advance, and plan what you will want to do the next day.

I hope you have a wonderful voyage, Debinnova. Lots to do! But, also great to just relax. Happy Sailing!