Upsell Fairy Called

vljpch

I tried to negotiate but they didn't budge:(. I did get offered GS for $500 for 4 nites 5 people. We have a inside room currently. Should I do it?

In your case I think I would do it. Five people comes to $25 per day. Plus you would have a balcony and you'd be going from an interior to a suite.

I tried to negotiate but they didn't budge:(. I did get offered GS for $500 for 4 nites 5 people. We have a inside room currently. Should I do it?

In this case, and it's in your budget, Yes!! 5 people in an inside room is not my idea of a relaxing vacation!!

Pat

Edited by quickrate

I'm sure it is an Ocean Suite.

Not necessarily....we were offered the same upgrade for $500 but to a Grand Suite. I would take it....we LOVED it and it was worth every penny (there were 3 of us sharing the Suite, so more room was wonderful!!)

Not necessarily....we were offered the same upgrade for $500 but to a Grand Suite. I would take it....we LOVED it and it was worth every penny (there were 3 of us sharing the Suite, so more room was wonderful!!)

Is this up sell thing a Carnival thing? In 26 cruises I have never been contacted re an upgrade. Did you book directly with Carnival or with a TA?

Is this up sell thing a Carnival thing? In 26 cruises I have never been contacted re an upgrade. Did you book directly with Carnival or with a TA?

Us too. In all of our cruises, we have never received and up sell or upgrade call, not that we care. We have booked with both a TA and direct.

It would be interesting to know the criteria for them calling though.

Human nature being what it is, I would never expect this to happen but if everyone boycotted the upsell scam, maybe Early Saver would be meaningful or, perhaps, the days of free upgrades to provide lower prices on lesser categories of cabins might return. Gotta give CCL credit for brilliant marketing though. Book nonrefundable ES and guaranteed price protection...unless the reduced price is via private (up) sale.

To OP ... don't assume you will get an ocean suite. There are 2 Junior suites on the Glory also.. cabin 9206 and 9205.. They aren't exactly the same as Ocean suites.

Plus, IMO, it is difficult to know if it is "worth it" in your case.. It would depend on what you initially paid for your balcony cabin.

I looked up interline prices which usually are the lowest.. right now the Ocean suite is at $1079 pp. on your Glory sailing, so minus $250 from that (half of the $500 ) ..which would be $829 per person.

If you paid less than $829 per person for the balcony.. it would be a good deal.. Usually a real good low rate for an ocean suite is on average $150 per day per person. I usually book suites, so just passing on what I know..

Me and my DW are going on are 11th cruise on Carnival Victory 5day in 12 days. got upsell call today going from 8A 6266 to OS 7270 for $350.00 could not pass it up. its our 3rd time getting upsell call and 2nd one we have taken.

if we booked this room on our own its $700.00 more than we paid for upsell so very happy:D

We are sailing on the Liberty on 8/22 have been watching the open cabins in all categories! Saw that the suites were basically all unsold! Then the price started dropping! I am not sure why these "upsell" discussions are such a mystery? I saw the price drop on the suites (Carnival pick the room) rate so I contacted my TA and asked what the deal would be for us to upgrade. The difference from what we had already paid and the OBC we had gotten from our balcony price drops the difference was around $200....so we told her go for it. When the cabin # was assigned we got a GRAND SUITE!

So the moral of the story....you dont have to wait for some mystery call just watch and jump on it! If you let Carnival pick they pick a cabin in that category in the category of "suites" could be any suite like a Grand Suite!

I received several upsell offers from Carnival via email, not phone calls. They were for direct bookings. One was from inside to balcony for $80. and the other was from inside to ocean view, also $80. Both were 8 day cruises and I was sailing solo so I took both since I thought they were worth the money. I think I was offered another one which I turned down. Can't remember the details on that one.

So here is the deal ... from a balcony to a suite for $500 total for a 7day eastern out of Miami. Is it worth it? It is our 28th wedding anniversary and it would be a nice surprise...

I upgraded from a balcony to a Grand Suite last October for an Anniversary/Birthday surprise. My wife and daughter loved it! The extra room is great and having a tub in the bathroom was nice too (even if you just shower, it's much larger than the standard shower).

However, this was my wife's first cruise and now she is worried that a standard balcony room will seem small and cramped. Here's hoping the "upsell fairy" calls me before our cruise in two months!

Either way, I know you will enjoy your vacation! Happy Anniversary! :D

you initially paid $560pp

times 2 equals $1120

port taxes $255.04

equals: $1375.04 total cost for 2

per person equals: $637.52

divided by 7 days: $98.21 per day per person for balcony

so.. add your $500 to your total of $1375.04 equals: $1875.04

divided by 2person: $937.52

which will be $133.93 per person per day

A good price for an Ocean Suite: but as I mentioned before, make sure it's an Ocean suite.. and not Junior suite.. they are nice too, but not exactly the same as Ocean suite.

just be warned: once you have a suite, you can't go back.

We are sailing on the Liberty on 8/22 have been watching the open cabins in all categories! Saw that the suites were basically all unsold! Then the price started dropping! I am not sure why these "upsell" discussions are such a mystery? I saw the price drop on the suites (Carnival pick the room) rate so I contacted my TA and asked what the deal would be for us to upgrade. The difference from what we had already paid and the OBC we had gotten from our balcony price drops the difference was around $200....so we told her go for it. When the cabin # was assigned we got a GRAND SUITE!

So the moral of the story....you dont have to wait for some mystery call just watch and jump on it! If you let Carnival pick they pick a cabin in that category in the category of "suites" could be any suite like a Grand Suite!

I am on the same cruise and we were called by the "upsell" fairy. we had a OV on deck 2 originally but were offered an upgrade to a OS for $600 total. Considering the total cost with the upgrade was what balcony cabins were originally going for, we took the offer. All in with taxes and prepaid gratuities we paid $2200. Compared to the rack rates for these suites I thought it was a decent deal. And if you break down the difference in cost it came out to an additional $37.50 pp/p for an pretty significant upgrade from our original OV room. Can't wait!

On our upcoming Breeze sailing, a woman on our Facebook roll call mentioned she got an offer of $410 to go from an 8G to a Junior Suite. And that's for an 8-day cruise so seems like a good offer - $25 pp/pd. I think she didn't take it, but I'm sure someone else would.

On our upcoming Breeze sailing, a woman on our Facebook roll call mentioned she got an offer of $410 to go from an 8G to a Junior Suite. And that's for an 8-day cruise so seems like a good offer - $25 pp/pd. I think she didn't take it, but I'm sure someone else would.

I would have taken it, I asked the upsell guy if they had anything better available. So I took the SPA upgrade.