Brooklyn on a Roundtrip

snoozy

Hello everyone.

We're doing a roundtrip transatlantic crossing starting from Southampton on August 20th, and for a change fancy spending a few hours in Brooklyn rather than going into New York.

Ideally we'd like to take a taxi from the ship, go somewhere nice for a couple of drinks then on to somewhere for lunch.

Is there a possibility of decent views of Manhatten from Brooklyn as I'm hoping to take some photos before a taxi back to the ship.

Any tips, advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, my hubby isn't particularly good for long walks, so I need to keep this in mind.

Many thanks,

Denise

:):)

Denise, a 10 minute taxi ride from the Red Hook terminal will take you to Brooklyn Heights. There are many nice restaurants on Montague Street, and the view from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade is terrific! For additional information, see:

http://www.nyharborparks.org/visit/brhe.html

http://brooklyn.about.com/od/brooklynneighborhoods/p/BrooklynHeights.htm

Cheers,

Salacia

Hello everyone.

We're doing a roundtrip transatlantic crossing starting from Southampton on August 20th, and for a change fancy spending a few hours in Brooklyn rather than going into New York.

Ideally we'd like to take a taxi from the ship, go somewhere nice for a couple of drinks then on to somewhere for lunch.

Is there a possibility of decent views of Manhatten from Brooklyn as I'm hoping to take some photos before a taxi back to the ship.

Any tips, advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, my hubby isn't particularly good for long walks, so I need to keep this in mind.

Many thanks,

Denise

:):)

Cunard does NOT give the rt offer from bklyn anymore

Too bad

You will need a taxi or car service. It's a long long walk to main district. In Brooklyn

Edited by turquoise 6
Word missing

Denise, a 10 minute taxi ride from the Red Hook terminal will take you to Brooklyn Heights. There are many nice restaurants on Montague Street, and the view from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade is terrific! For additional information, see:

Cheers,

Salacia

Thank you for the info and links Salacia.

I'm looking forward to having a good look around the internet and researching where we will go. We were hoping to go into Brooklyn a couple of years ago, but chickened out and took the Cunard tour into New York.

Another time we stayed onboard and enjoyed the almost deserted delights of QM2 for a few hours. On another occasion, Paul proposed to me atop the Empire State Building (we've been married 4.5 years now).

So this time I'd really love for us to have a few hours in Brooklyn.

Thank you again, and I'll be sure to let you know what we did when we get back.

Denise :)

Cunard does NOT give the rt offer from bklyn anymore

Too bad

You will need a taxi or car service. It's a long long walk to main district. In Brooklyn

thank you turquoise, I've seen a car company mentioned on here before, hopefully someone will come to my aid.

Thanks Salacia.....I wish I would have thought to ask this question a long time ago. Great reading.....especially the Park controversy.

Brigittetom, yes, very interesting reading. :)

Thank you for the info and links Salacia.

I'm looking forward to having a good look around the internet and researching where we will go. We were hoping to go into Brooklyn a couple of years ago, but chickened out and took the Cunard tour into New York.

Another time we stayed onboard and enjoyed the almost deserted delights of QM2 for a few hours. On another occasion, Paul proposed to me atop the Empire State Building (we've been married 4.5 years now).

So this time I'd really love for us to have a few hours in Brooklyn.

Thank you again, and I'll be sure to let you know what we did when we get back.

You're welcome, Denise. Brooklyn Heights & the Promenade is one of my favourite places in NYC. I lived there for about 6 years and never tired of the area.

If you're interested in art, you might also enjoy the Brooklyn Museum, which is approx. 15 min taxi ride from the Red Hook terminal. http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/home.php

Looking forward to reading about your trip when you return. :) -S.

Arecibo was our go to for a few years. The last two years...not so much. Their promise to be there in 10 min. has resulted in making several more calls and waiting........not a big deal, but recently we've ended up with extra aggressive drivers. I know that's considered normal around NYC but we've had other companies where the ride didn't feel life threatening. Their rates though are very reasonable. I'm sure it's just luck of the draw......but my luck doesn't seem to extend to drivers. :p

Thank you, the number is now safely stashed in my mobile phone contacts list :)

They are good and I always use them. I suggest that you don't call them until you are outside by one of the pick up points (1-3) so you can tell them exactly where you will be. Your task then is to spot their cars in the myriad of similar vehicles, their card which they show in the window is a red and crescent or dome shaped representation of their name.

Arecibo was our go to for a few years. The last two years...not so much. Their promise to be there in 10 min. has resulted in making several more calls and waiting........not a big deal, but recently we've ended up with extra aggressive drivers. I know that's considered normal around NYC but we've had other companies where the ride didn't feel life threatening. Their rates though are very reasonable. I'm sure it's just luck of the draw......but my luck doesn't seem to extend to drivers. :p

brigittetom, we've had a mixed bag of NYC taxi drivers in the past, but on the whole they've been fine.

On one memorable occasion, we'd spent the evening down at the South St Sea Port area, and hailed a yellow cab to take us to Times Square. It was during one of the worst storms I can remember, and visibility was terrible. Our driver was cheerful, and drove fast, very fast. I asked him how he could see with the torrential rain, windscreen wipers going super fast and all the spray from other cars, his reply, "I can't see a damn thing". :)

They are good and I always use them. I suggest that you don't call them until you are outside by one of the pick up points (1-3) so you can tell them exactly where you will be. Your task then is to spot their cars in the myriad of similar vehicles, their card which they show in the window is a red and crescent or dome shaped representation of their name.

Thank you for the very good advice capnpugwash, much appreciated.

Denise

"I can't see a damn thing". :)

I was really apprehensive about the cab drivers on our very first trip. I had seen the suggestions here for the black town cars.....so that's what I wanted and I even mentioned that I would appreciate a calm driver. I didn't even know what to say when I saw that our driver only had one arm. He was very good....not much help with luggage though. :)

I was really apprehensive about the cab drivers on our very first trip. I had seen the suggestions here for the black town cars.....so that's what I wanted and I even mentioned that I would appreciate a calm driver. I didn't even know what to say when I saw that our driver only had one arm. He was very good....not much help with luggage though. :)

Well as long as he was calm:rolleyes:.

We won't be taking luggage into Brooklyn so we should be fine if we get your driver.

Hello everyone,

A quick update. Sadly we won't be travelling on 20th August round trip as hubby has been taken ill. Hopefully we will make it to Brooklyn one of these days.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Salacia

What would the fare be into Brooklyn approx.?:confused:

$5 to $10 maximum.

Thanks for your reply Captain. Done the return trip a few times, not the same going to Brooklyn. We usually walk to Ikea for a coffee the back to ship. Would like to go into New York, but I we would not risk it, seen to many people left, got off the Q.V. 10th Aug, we left 6 people in Gibraltar, waste of time only in Gib 4 hours stay would have been much better if we had a full day and the a afternoon stop in La Coruna the next port of call.