keeping in touch with others not cruising...free!

Kajunswty

this is a free way to keep in touch with anyone at home via carnival.com. you need alot of patience though the internet is incredibly slow. And if you use it be sure to copy your post because i've lost paragraphs when the internet locked up. its free so hard to complain

copied from the webpage....

So you are on your Carnival cruise but you really want to talk to your family, your kids, or even your dog???? How can I do it for free? (Did I say free??)

Yep! It is not that hard. Carnival offers Wifi on their ships and allows some sites to be accessed for free. One of those sites it the Carnival Funville Forum. So head on over to http://m.carnival.com/Funville/forums on your mobile device and sign up along with your friends and family.

Carnival has graciously setup an area called “Currently Onboard”.

http://www.terryfischer.com/i-miss-my-family/

The only downside to this is the page is public. So be sure not to divulge personal information, descriptive enough that some sleuths may decipher that you are not at home.

The other thing is, all participants must be a registered user of that site. Personally, I find the site itself to be poor in design and navigation, and I had high hopes for the new guy in charge ot IT to do something about it.

Yep - We do this every cruise. It's nice to stay in touch with everyone without having to use a phone.

The only down side is that it takes so long to get online on a ship. We usually take 15 minutes to do a quick message home. You kind of just sit there while it grinds away. If we were paying for it I would really be upset about the time it takes to navigate online on a cruise ship.

Yes, many people started to use this once the 2.0 went into affect. We would set up a group with a unique title, like:

............................The LOST BOYS

As the above poster mentioned, it is a PUBLIC forum so anyone can read it. It is a good way to communicate when you have a larger group or kids (as long as everyone else uses it) :p I suggest making your "group name" something random that will stick out to YOU but not everyone else. IE: not using your sail date or ship name, because then you're going to have everyone else checking it out like it is a roll call and reading your "dinner plans", "be dressed by....", "Everyone meet you at the piano bar for drinks...." etc posts.

so true about the slow speed

on the Elation a couple of weeks ago my daughter left her tennis shoes with $300+ custom insoles on a private tour. i wanted to email them asap so i figured it'd be a few dollars. it took 17 minutes for me to sign into my yahoo account, find our previous emails and reply. thats literally all i did....cost me about $15. that is really ridiculous but we'd already lost a pair of nikes & her insoles so i tried to not get too upset. :eek:

ironically to replace the shoes and insoles was nearly what i spent to get her onboard SMH

We've done this many times. Usually stop by the internet cafe on our way to dinner or on the way back. Log in - type a little note or check to see if we have one waiting for us. It is a great way to communicate for free! Although slow. Also, remember to log out when you walk away!