MSC Preziosa July 2014

seasicksherds

Sailed on our first ever cruise 19/7/14-26/7/14 out of Venice...

This was our first disappointment, the ship was across the lagoon in a container dock yard.

We were not informed the ship had moved by either MSC or our travel agent.

After being herded like cattle into the terminal we had a 3 hour shuffle with people queue jumping everywhere. MSC have obviously not learned a thing from previous cruise departures or read these forums.

Passengers were offered a vile tasting can of juice as they waited to be shuttled across to the ship.

Second disappointment was boarding the ship just above the water line and being met by engineering crew in boiler suites....Nice touch MSC...I was expecting a glass of wine or similar in main foyer..

The ship as described by many was fantastic, ( first time cruiser remember)

Cabin up on 12 with balcony had a tobacco smell I thought but otherwise nice.

Room was well looked after by maid who did a great job tidying up after our 2 kid's.

I also thought the Buffet staff were a bit ignorant especially those behind the Bar

Buffet food was ok and as mentioned getting a table was the main battle.

The MDR was an experience we enjoyed although I had reservations about it as I never wear a suit to Dinner ( except weddings etc)..So the Gala night was a bit O.T.T for me but I did enjoy it.

Our MDR was L’ARABESQUE first sitting, where we had a table that looked like it had been added to the pathway from the service station....Not Happy...

Our table (for 4) in the MDR was in a rubbish location so I approached the Maitre D to inquire about a swap or move....NOTHING....He didn't give a ****. Arrogant Silver haired older man in L’ARABESQUE is not worthy of a tip.

I asked every night as the 3 larger tables around us were empty night. Still Maitre d not interested....(I won't swear)

The Ship should be able to inform guests that after 2 consecutive nights of not showing up they will lose the table so that other guests can use it.

Only watched 1 show so can't comment on overall quality but my wife and children seemed to enjoy them although did comment on the similarity to previous performances.

The Pool areas were good but as mentioned, Sunbeds were fought over.

We sat at a table in the Garden Pool area mostly and watched as a table was empty for over an hour but held with towels and bags, when someone did return it turned out they were lying across from us on 5 sunbeds also reserved. So they had claimed 10 spaces in total and I never saw more than 4 people at any one time.

If I were away without my family there would be a lot of towels in the pool.

The staff did nothing to police the claiming of sunbeds.

Excursions seemed quite expensive so we did our own things ashore but did use the coaches in Istanbul. A little overpriced we now know, Take the tram or Taxi for 20euro.

Overall we enjoyed our Cruise but the points that spoiled it will probably make us try another Cruise line in future unless i read MSC has got a grip....

We would like any recommendations on future cruise lines folks but not TOO

PRETENTIOUS....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Sailed on our first ever cruise 19/7/14-26/7/14 out of Venice...

This was our first disappointment, the ship was across the lagoon in a container dock yard.

We were not informed the ship had moved by either MSC or our travel agent.

After being herded like cattle into the terminal we had a 3 hour shuffle with people queue jumping everywhere. MSC have obviously not learned a thing from previous cruise departures or read these forums.

Passengers were offered a vile tasting can of juice as they waited to be shuttled across to the ship.

Second disappointment was boarding the ship just above the water line and being met by engineering crew in boiler suites....Nice touch MSC...I was expecting a glass of wine or similar in main foyer..

The ship as described by many was fantastic, ( first time cruiser remember)

Cabin up on 12 with balcony had a tobacco smell I thought but otherwise nice.

Room was well looked after by maid who did a great job tidying up after our 2 kid's.

I also thought the Buffet staff were a bit ignorant especially those behind the Bar

Buffet food was ok and as mentioned getting a table was the main battle.

The MDR was an experience we enjoyed although I had reservations about it as I never wear a suit to Dinner ( except weddings etc)..So the Gala night was a bit O.T.T for me but I did enjoy it.

Our MDR was L’ARABESQUE first sitting, where we had a table that looked like it had been added to the pathway from the service station....Not Happy...

Our table (for 4) in the MDR was in a rubbish location so I approached the Maitre D to inquire about a swap or move....NOTHING....He didn't give a ****. Arrogant Silver haired older man in L’ARABESQUE is not worthy of a tip.

I asked every night as the 3 larger tables around us were empty night. Still Maitre d not interested....(I won't swear)

The Ship should be able to inform guests that after 2 consecutive nights of not showing up they will lose the table so that other guests can use it.

Only watched 1 show so can't comment on overall quality but my wife and children seemed to enjoy them although did comment on the similarity to previous performances.

The Pool areas were good but as mentioned, Sunbeds were fought over.

We sat at a table in the Garden Pool area mostly and watched as a table was empty for over an hour but held with towels and bags, when someone did return it turned out they were lying across from us on 5 sunbeds also reserved. So they had claimed 10 spaces in total and I never saw more than 4 people at any one time.

If I were away without my family there would be a lot of towels in the pool.

The staff did nothing to police the claiming of sunbeds.

Excursions seemed quite expensive so we did our own things ashore but did use the coaches in Istanbul. A little overpriced we now know, Take the tram or Taxi for 20euro.

Overall we enjoyed our Cruise but the points that spoiled it will probably make us try another Cruise line in future unless i read MSC has got a grip....

We would like any recommendations on future cruise lines folks but not TOO

PRETENTIOUS....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

P&O, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess are all good. Never been on MSC and not likely to. We have been on NCL which is also slated a lot but we really enjoyed it (even with noro on board). With children I would say Royal Caribbean as they have lots of different activities but P&O childrens clubs are recommended also.

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

We were on Preziosa for 17 nights this year during the Easter holidays, and really enjoyed it. We have cruised on MSC before in the Caribbean, but never in Europe, so not sure if that makes the difference. Most of our cruises have been with Royal Caribbean and our 2 sons prefer them marginally. They are 15 and 13. I like the cruise experience equally and would chose by itinerary and price between them. We did not like Carnival much. If you have younger children RCI would probably be better.

I think many of the things you refer to are luck of the draw. Someone smoking in their room could happen on either line as could a less good dining table location, and staff who couldn't or wouldn't change that. Chair hogs and the ships lack of concern is universal, as is the difficulty of finding a table at the buffet. At least with MSC you have the choice to avoid the buffet at each meal. That is not common. The worst experience I have had of both those things was on Grandeur of the Seas on a Med cruise. I think there are probably lines who offer a welcome drink in the foyer, but none that I have been on. Maybe Seabourne! I was really disappointed on my first cruise because I was expecting a band on the dock to be playing as we sailed away! I have never experienced that, but apparently P & O would have satisfied that one.

If I were you I would try another line next time, and then another etc until you find something that fits. For us the main difference between a good cruise and a fantastic cruise is often down to the people we meet on the cruise. Good company can make it fantastic on any line.