Duty Free

Hello

We are from the UK & sailing from Southampton round Med to EEC countries such as Barcelona.

My question is regarding Duty Free Allowance.

I understand on the ship we can only buy 200 cigs or 250g tobacco each pp. Are we still allowed to also purchase more from Barcelona?

For example we roll our own, so we (2 of us) wanted to buy 250g each on board, then maybe buy another 250g in

Barcelona as it's still considerably cheaper than in UK but we don't want to exceed limit if not allowed.

Xxx

My understanding is that you can take home only 200 duty-free cigarettes per person or a much higher number of duty-paid for your own use (don't know the exact numbers as we don't smoke) If the ship sails to a nonEU country, the onboard sales should be duty free, so only 200 per person. Maybe one of you could buy 200 duty-free and the other buy more duty-paid? It might be worth asking this question on the Thomson or P&O boards so as to get more UK cruiser replies.

Edited by suekay

If you are only visiting European ports the duty free shop onboard won't open at all on the ship, at least this was the case on our July sailing. You can buy as much as you want in the ports as long as it is for personal use

Lynn

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I understand it, if your cruise from Southampton to Med is what they call 'closed loop' (all ports of call are to countries within EC) the shops onboard are not allowed to sell duty free goods. If you purchase tobacco products from a 'Tabac' shop in Barcelona, both of you are allowed to bring back an amount which can be deemed reasonable for personal use (whatever that is :rolleyes:). Not as good as duty free but still cheaper than UK prices.

Interesting event that happened to us.

We shopped in Cozumel at the port at the Duty Free shop.

We bought some jewelry (costume), souveniers, and vanilla.

Upon paying our bill, we had to show our sea pass (which we have always done in the past when shopping on this island), and she punched in our ship and cabin #

When we looked at our receipt it showed our "used duty free amount" and the remaining balance of our duty free allowance.

Now, when we shopped on the ship, it just stated our bill.

So now it makes me wonder........if I bought anything else anywhere else, like Jamaica, does it show somewhere?

We did not buy cigs, (dont smoke) and forgot to buy the booze, so no harm no fowl, but what if we did................

Would we be red flagged thru customs?????

We did see two families at the customs table when going thru port security at FLL, and dont know what was the concern and I realize it could be anything.

This happen to anyone else?

Sea Ya

Interesting event that happened to us.

We shopped in Cozumel at the port at the Duty Free shop.

We bought some jewelry (costume), souveniers, and vanilla.

Upon paying our bill, we had to show our sea pass (which we have always done in the past when shopping on this island), and she punched in our ship and cabin #

When we looked at our receipt it showed our "used duty free amount" and the remaining balance of our duty free allowance.

Now, when we shopped on the ship, it just stated our bill.

So now it makes me wonder........if I bought anything else anywhere else, like Jamaica, does it show somewhere?

We did not buy cigs, (dont smoke) and forgot to buy the booze, so no harm no fowl, but what if we did................

Would we be red flagged thru customs?????

We did see two families at the customs table when going thru port security at FLL, and dont know what was the concern and I realize it could be anything.

This happen to anyone else?

Sea Ya

Not exactly the same experience, but similar at various ports. I don't think the vendors are reporting to US customs. I believe they are keeping track so they can prove to their own taxing authorities that the merchandise sold without taxes was sold to a cruise ship passenger, as opposed to being sold to a local.

Not exactly the same experience, but similar at various ports. I don't think the vendors are reporting to US customs. I believe they are keeping track so they can prove to their own taxing authorities that the merchandise sold without taxes was sold to a cruise ship passenger, as opposed to being sold to a local.

Thanks for your post.

It gives another side to my question.

Most of the time the obvious escapes me.

Thanks again

Sea Ya