Reading reviews for the Jewel

Floridanamaw

Just out of curiosity I read the reviews on here today (and yes I've read them before) about the Jewel. Talk about a WIDE range of reviews. Some are 5 star and a few 1 and 2 star. The reviews are all written within the same time frame, this summer. I find it funny how much difference there are in the reviews. We are booked to sail on the Jewel starting the 13th of September for her last Alaskan sailing. The reviews do not deter me at all as I know people have different opinions. Most however state that the food in sub-par. We are not foodies so I'm not worried about going hungry, we will find something to eat. Now, if ALL the reviews were only 2 stars I would be worried! I imagine this is common for all ships to have such a wide range of review. 30 more days for us and we are excited!!:)

Yes, it is common.

More than once we have been in the elevator and the topic comes up "how is your cruise?"

Always some people that are doing great, and stuffed. Others are unhappy. Same ship, same day, same food.

It's almost laughable how the reviews can be SO different - opposite ends of the spectrum.

You're going into it with a good attitude, and I always say that attitude counts for a whole bunch.

We've been on the Jewel before and loved it - especially the crew. We will be disembarking the Jewel on the day you are embarking. I'll be sure that we take good care of her for you! :D

I've had the same problem with the Sun. I almost canceled st one point until somebody else was about to cancel and the cheerleaders showed up. I'm just chilling and expecting to have a great cruise. We aren't foodies either do I doubt we'll suffer. Just glad to not be grocery shopping and cooking and cleaning.

We sailed the Jewel to Alaska in May of 2013. We had an absolutely fantastic time. We thoroughly enjoyed the ship, the crew, the food and the entertainment.

After sailing the Getaway this past May, I can understand why some might feel the way you described. After all, the mega ships are all shiny and new and have different attractions.

Me personally, I prefer the Jewel class ships. So much so that I'll be sailing the Jewel this November and next October.

If you go in with a good attitude and don't look for every flaw, you will love her! I sailed on her this past March, and will be sailing with her again November 8th. I loved her. I was very satisfied with the food. Some people look for the bad in everything. Just don't be that person. Easy Peasy :D

I wasn't really worried but I feel a lot better now after reading these comments. I'm just tickled not to have to cook, clean, make beds and all that daily stuff. The last time we cruised was in 2009 so I am super excited about going. Thanks for making me feel better!

I wasn't really worried but I feel a lot better now after reading these comments. I'm just tickled not to have to cook, clean, make beds and all that daily stuff. The last time we cruised was in 2009 so I am super excited about going. Thanks for making me feel better!

Before our 3rd cruise I had talked NCL up so much that my cousin and her husband wanted to join us on that cruise. They booked and then I found Cruise Critic and began to read all kinds of bad things about the ship we were going to be on. (The Spirit) I was beginning to wonder if we had made a mistake in choosing this ship because many of the reviews made it sound like the ship was falling apart, the food was absolutely horrible, the carpet was threadbare, the crew were terrible, and so on.

We went anyway, and it didn't take me long to start scratching my head as to what in the world were those reviews talking about? We found the ship to be clean, orderly, in good condition (although with any building, vessel, vehicle, etc that gets used a lot it begins to show wear) the food was good to excellent and the crew was wonderful.

That was a good lesson for me to NOT take the reviews seriously at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that doesn't make it fact.

I'm like you - if someone else shopped for it, cooked it, served it, cleaned up after me, as well as making the beds, cleaning the bathroom, etc. I'm a very happy and content camper!

Enjoy!

When we prepared for our first cruise years ago I went through the same issues. I research EVERYTHING ;) Drive the Mrs. crazy. That being said after 15 cruises and thousands of reviews read I found that its like life. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love Chinese food you may hate it. I enjoy all kinds of dancing you may despise it ;)

It's about peoples backgrounds, points of view, their daily habits , preferences etc.

Of all my cruises I've been on 7 different cruise ships and 5 cruise lines. Yes! There are things I could bitch about on everyone of them. But I try to be positive and go to relax, drink some good wine and complete at least 1 new book.

So most things like no lobster or there was 4 indian dishes and only 3 lunch meats on the buffet are petty to us.

To each there own, quite frankly unless is was a major disaster type situation I know of very few reasons we would have a bad cruise. Hope you have a blast ;)

Edited by cruisingcouple2010

I'm not going to let the bad reviews bother me. There are more good reviews than bad. As far as I'm concerned any cruise is better than no cruise at all. I'm looking for to Alaska, rain and all and I'm looking forward to no cooking, cleaning, etc! Excited!!

When reading reviews for anything I look at both the good and bad and figure they meet somewhere on the good side of in the middle. I say this because if you really read some bad reviews it can be the little things that people tend to get upset about. I've seen reviews where they will say the cruise was fantastic until something like not getting a towel animal completely ruined it for them.

Edited by Rudyard

Listen.. you're going to have a great time! I've been on the Jewel 2 times. The food in the MDR's was great, the service was great, and the beer was cold.. what more do you need? Don't get too hung up on the negative reviews. I honestly believe that some people aren't happy unless they are miserable. Have a great time! :D:D:D

Have an awesome time in Alaska! We did Alaska on the Pearl this time last year. I was so looking forward to the MDR on that cruise (on our Hawai'ian NCL cruise the food was terrific in the MDR), but this time it was definitely not good and we loved the buffet more. We even gave the MDR three tries. So to each their own and with all the dining options you are bound to find something you like. :-) We will be on the Jewel next year and will give the MDR a try our first night.

It's all about sailing with PCA (Positive Cruise Attitude), we are on the Jewel next month and I intend to smile from the moment I get on! Some people should also embrace PCCA, (Positive Cruise Critic Attitude), I am thinking of having a pin made so we can recognise each other :-))

It's all about sailing with PCA (Positive Cruise Attitude), we are on the Jewel next month and I intend to smile from the moment I get on! Some people should also embrace PCCA, (Positive Cruise Critic Attitude), I am thinking of having a pin made so we can recognise each other :-))

Awesome advice! :)

We are looking at trying NCL but the bad reviews are kind of scarey. We love Holland and Celebrity. One cruise on Carnival we decided was nice but there was a pretty big difference in the food. As a positive I didn't gain any weight! But my question is one review said there was no lobster? Is this true? I don't. As for lobster, for BIL, it would be a deal breaker. And my husband won't eat farm Salmon. Wild or nothing... We aren't snobs or foodies but like quality. Should we pass and stick with Holland or Celebrity or give NCL a try??

We are looking at trying NCL but the bad reviews are kind of scarey. We love Holland and Celebrity. One cruise on Carnival we decided was nice but there was a pretty big difference in the food. As a positive I didn't gain any weight! But my question is one review said there was no lobster? Is this true? I don't. As for lobster, for BIL, it would be a deal breaker. And my husband won't eat farm Salmon. Wild or nothing... We aren't snobs or foodies but like quality. Should we pass and stick with Holland or Celebrity or give NCL a try??

You should give NCL a try to see what you think. We really enjoy NCL and their Freestyle dining. Lots of options to choose. As for the lobster, we had it on the first night last summer on our Alaskan cruise. I will say it was just ok lobster, so I wouldn't use that for a make or break it deal.

Floridanamaw, take good care of the Jewel for us. We'll be boarding in Vancouver when you disembark, for our first cruise, from Vancouver to San Pedro. I think the suggestion of a PCA, along with greeting all the staff on board with a smile and a good morning/afternoon/evening, goes a long way towards having a good cruise. We are looking forward to our trip, and I'm sure it won't be our last cruise.

Things we loved about the Jewel. The cruise staff, shows, trivia, and all kinds of live music. Also Jamie the cd and her staff. To be honest we didnt like either of our 2 meals in the mdr but we always found something in the buffet. We loved the prime rib and the chicken pot pie at Osheehans.

I'm glad to hear so many positive things about the Jewel and I am really looking forward to going. This will be our first time on NCL as our first 3 cruises were on Carnival, the Elation, the Glory and the Legend. The Legend being by favorite because of the size. It wasn't too big or too small. It looks like the Jewel might be about the size of the Legend. PCA, I hadn't heard that one before. :D

Just out of curiosity I read the reviews on here today (and yes I've read them before) about the Jewel. Talk about a WIDE range of reviews. Some are 5 star and a few 1 and 2 star. The reviews are all written within the same time frame, this summer. I find it funny how much difference there are in the reviews. We are booked to sail on the Jewel starting the 13th of September for her last Alaskan sailing. The reviews do not deter me at all as I know people have different opinions. Most however state that the food in sub-par. We are not foodies so I'm not worried about going hungry, we will find something to eat. Now, if ALL the reviews were only 2 stars I would be worried! I imagine this is common for all ships to have such a wide range of review. 30 more days for us and we are excited!!:)

We were on the Jewel for the May 31st cruise to Alaska. I posted lots of pictures and info here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2060548