Reading reviews for the Jewel

Floridanamaw

Here's my take on reviews:

1) The "over-generalization" review: The ones where everything was horrible. "The food was completely inedible." "Everyone was rude." "Every child screamed all day and ran up and down the halls all night." "The ship is so dated." (hey my house is 50 years old...its dated too.)

These I ignore (after i get a good chuckle).

2) The "One thing totally ruined my cruise" review: The shipped missed this port and that's the only reason I came and my cruise is ruined" or "They wouldn't show the big game anywhere and I missed my favorite team." Hey, if the game is that important to you...stay home and watch it! Again, ignore.

3) The "We had issues and so now I want to complain" review: "Our toilet was clogged" or "Dinner service was so slow". Did you try to get it fixed while you were on the cruise or did you wait until afterwards to complain about it?

4) The balanced review. One that lists both good and bad. There are some foods I don't like, but you may. If I said in a review, they served escargot, but I passed because I don't like it... you may respond "Great they have escargot and I love it!"

One my first cruise during the goodby show, the cruise director said something like -"We're here to make you happy...even if you are only happy when you are complaining. So if we have given you something to complain about, we've done our job."

I'll be on the Jewel in 48 hours!! I'll let you know about her in 48 hours and 7 days!

Edited by lax19

Here's my take on reviews:

1) The "over-generalization" review: The ones where everything was horrible. "The food was completely inedible." "Everyone was rude." "Every child screamed all day and ran up and down the halls all night." "The ship is so dated." (hey my house is 50 years old...its dated too.)

These I ignore (after i get a good chuckle).

2) The "One thing totally ruined my cruise" review: The shipped missed this port and that's the only reason I came and my cruise is ruined" or "They wouldn't show the big game anywhere and I missed my favorite team." Hey, if the game is that important to you...stay home and watch it! Again, ignore.

3) The "We had issues and so now I want to complain" review: "Our toilet was clogged" or "Dinner service was so slow". Did you try to get it fixed while you were on the cruise or did you wait until afterwards to complain about it?

4) The balanced review. One that lists both good and bad. There are some foods I don't like, but you may. If I said in a review, they served escargot, but I passed because I don't like it... you may respond "Great they have escargot and I love it!"

One my first cruise during the goodby show, the cruise director said something like -"We're here to make you happy...even if you are only happy when you are complaining. So if we have given you something to complain about, we've done our job."

I'll be on the Jewel in 48 hours!! I'll let you know about her in 48 hours and 7 days!

Can't wait. It will be fun. You sound like someone who I will enjoy hearing their experience.

We are looking at trying NCL but the bad reviews are kind of scarey. We love Holland and Celebrity. One cruise on Carnival we decided was nice but there was a pretty big difference in the food. As a positive I didn't gain any weight! But my question is one review said there was no lobster? Is this true? I don't. As for lobster, for BIL, it would be a deal breaker. And my husband won't eat farm Salmon. Wild or nothing... We aren't snobs or foodies but like quality. Should we pass and stick with Holland or Celebrity or give NCL a try??

We've been on the major US lines except Disney. Norwegian is our fav and X is 2nd. Didn't care for the passengers on HAL (got run over by walkers or scooters a couple times too many) though the ship was beautiful and the food was good.

Here's the thing about food: it's so stinkin' subjective that none of us can tell you that you definitely will or won't like it. I've never had inedible food on any cruise. I've had slightly over cooked entrées before (fortunately, lobster hasn't been one of them). Like other lines, Norwegian had specialty restaurants, but more than most other lines. Included food would be buffets, MDRs, grill, pizza, room service (though nominal charge during middle of the night now, I think), and my favorite place to grab a bite would be Blue Lagoon on the Jewel (O'Sheehan's on the new ships).

I cook at home, and cook really well. I don't eat bad food. That being said, I've never gone hungry on any cruise/any line. Will there be some things you miss from another line? Sure! I dream of X's almond croissants and made to order Belgian waffles. Escargot drowned in butter, garlic & white wine on any cruise. Pretzel rolls on Norwegian are great little gems. But I don't book a cruise based on food - as long as there is food, we're good.

Regarding 'inedible' food:

I like steak rare - well done is (almost) inedible to me. Someone who likes steak well-done would regard my rare steak as inedible. Same steak, different viewpoint.

Edited by SteveH2508