chair question

LiseD

I was looking at the room layout on Avalon Felicity- French Balcony room (not suite) and wondering if there are 2 chairs in the room? From drawing and photo it looks like only one. I know the rooms are small, but have been comparing this to a similar Viking cruise and notice they have 2 chairs and a small table by their French door.

Edit....just saw an answer to this on another thread.....thanks....would still love feedback from anyone....were you both able to sit at window with sofa?

Edited by LiseD

From website...photo and drawing of the room just show one chair....no sofa or second chair. Hate to be picky but seems one would have to sit on the bed and one in a chair....no so comfortable for having a drink and watching the scenery.

Edited by LiseD

Since you have views on both sides of the river while cruising, most people sit on the top deck or in the forward lounge area (both inside or outside). This is very different from ocean cruising where you relax in your room and watch the open water go by.

Keep this in mind. Most of the "cruising" for the Basel to Amsterdam is done at night. The only cruising during the day is when you cruise past the castles and you need to see both sides of the river so you need to be on top or the lounge to see. Also when sailing to Amsterdam you leave Cologne at 2 pm. Most people were on top enjoying beautiful weather.

Edit....just saw an answer to this on another thread.....thanks....would still love feedback from anyone....were you both able to sit at window with sofa?

I was the one who answered the question on the other thread and I apologize as I hadn't seen you were talking about the Felicity, which is not a Suite Ship. Our experience had been on the Impression, which is. It does appear that there is only one chair in the regular staterooms on the Felicity. As some have mentioned, most cruise viewing will be done on the sky deck, but still a bit of a bummer that there is only one chair.

Yeah....one chair is not that great! Guess we will be fighting on our 25th!! ha ha ha

I think I need to read the sailing schedule better....was thinking there would be more sailing in the day....but like you said, there is viewing on both sides, so being up stairs would be best!

If you're cruising with Viking on one of the new longships, they only have one chair in French balcony cabins, and it barely fits between the bed and the desk--not beside the bed. These cabins are only 135 sq. ft., and there's very little room.

FuelScience

I did this cruise on the Felicity with Avalon in 2012. Here is a link to the trip report I posted. I tried to talk about timing in port. I did this from Basel to Amsterdam, which obviously has different timing than if you did the trip in the reverse direction. I loved this cruise and thought Avalon did a wonderful job. There are a few other trip reports on here - just use the search function to find them.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1646466&highlight=avalon+felicity

Let us know if we can answer any other questions.

we were on Felicity May 2013 Amsterdam to Basel, what a great trip on Avalon. Yes just one chair at small desk, We spent hardly much time in room except to sleep. There is also a great lounge area with comfortable cushion chairs (with bar/bartender just past cruise directors desk) in front of ship to relax in and look out the scenery as it goes by too besides being on the open to the weather top deck. Top deck is a must for the Castles segment on the Rhine btw.:)

Edited by glacierbear
added info