Please help me decide between Sunshine and Glory!

Mel12345

Hi all,

New to the boards, new to cruising! :) We will be 2 families of 4 with boys 3-6 years old. The grandparents on both sides also joining us.

We are hesitating between the Sunshine, sailing out of Port Canavaral, and the Glory, sailing out of Miami. Western Caribbean for both, only difference is that Glory sails to Costa Maya, Mexico rather than to Gran Cayman. The rest of the itinerary is the same.

I know we need to factor in travel + transfers time and cost, but otherwise, does anyone have any input that could help us decide between the Sunshine and the Glory? Is the Sunshine worth the extra cost, in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!!

The Sunshine is the oldest and smallest of the two, and although she was redesigned with some great features and nice decor, she also has one of the worst space to passenger ratios in the industry since they added hundreds of cabins to an already high density ship. Some of the redesigns (like the main theater) were poorly conceived, not only because they made it smaller with removable chairs, but also because they built cabins right above what is now a night club later in the evening. The new 3-deck Serenity area is beautiful, but it's so close to the main pool area (literally facing each other) that it is less than serene when you have pool games or the DJ blasting music. Great ideas poorly executed.

If the Glory is the cheaper option, that would definitely be the final deciding factor in her favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I have been on Sunshine and Glory's sister ship (Conquest). I really liked both. Sunshine was my favorite out of the two because of the new features. However, the Sunshine really lacked seating areas, so if this is important to you go with Glory.

Thanks for your replies!

Glory, hands down. Find an 8 day.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Why an 8 day, Sunnydaygirl? Just to maximize time onboard?

It looked to me like there were more activities for children aboard the Sunshine, but I had read it was a bit tighter in space... Looks like odds are in Glory's favor so far!

We were actually looking between the two ships also.

Originally booked on the Sunshine 5 day cruise to Grand Turk/Nassau but now saw that it would be the same price to go on the 7 Day glory to Nassau/Grand Turk/San Juan/St. Thomas.

So would it be worth it to drive the four hours further to Miami to go on the Glory. Is it better or same as the sunshine for kids.

We liked them both and would sail either one again.

Some differences:

Sunshine has a Cucina del Capitano ($12 for dinner, free pasta bar for lunch) and a JiJi's (Asian restuarant which is delicious. $12 fee for dinner, free Mongolian Wok for lunch) There is also a Shake Spot and the Havana Bar. So if you food choices are important to you, then Sunshine might be a better choice.

I prefer the theater and the lounge for comedy showed on the Glory over the Sunshine. The theater in the Sunshine had poles obstructing the view in many places and it was hard to see the comedian in the Limelight Lounge.

Sunshine has the water park and if you have kids, that might be a better option.

I am not sure if you have sailed Carnival before but if you like the Alchemy Bar (my husband loves it, cocktail and martini bar, set up with kind of a speakeasy feel) they have it on both ships but on the Sunshine it is in Ocean Plaza where there are music shows and it ruins the ambience of the Alchemy Bar.

I am not sure if main dining room food/menu matters, but Glory is one of the ships that has the "new" American Table menu, while Sunshine still has the old standard one. The new menu has not been well recieved, although I personally would like to try it. So if dining room menu matters, you might want to check out those two different menus. If not, I think both ships are fine. I would pick Glory, both because of the new menu, as well as the layout of the ship which I am used to. Whichever one you choose have a great cruise:)

Thanks for your replies!

Why an 8 day, Sunnydaygirl? Just to maximize time onboard?

It looked to me like there were more activities for children aboard the Sunshine, but I had read it was a bit tighter in space... Looks like odds are in Glory's favor so far!

Love time spent at sea!! So 3 days is a big plus!! If children's activity is high on your list you really choose Freedom. Same as Glory, but all new kids areas and programs. You can even catch it in Florida till Feb. I like Ft Lauderdale port, it's slightly cheaper to stay overnight pre-cruise. They do not have new menu. Was on sunshine pre-makeover, glory last Feb for new menu rollout and Freedom in 8 days!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi all,

New to the boards, new to cruising! :) We will be 2 families of 4 with boys 3-6 years old. The grandparents on both sides also joining us.

We are hesitating between the Sunshine, sailing out of Port Canavaral, and the Glory, sailing out of Miami. Western Caribbean for both, only difference is that Glory sails to Costa Maya, Mexico rather than to Gran Cayman. The rest of the itinerary is the same.

I know we need to factor in travel + transfers time and cost, but otherwise, does anyone have any input that could help us decide between the Sunshine and the Glory? Is the Sunshine worth the extra cost, in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!!

We have sailed both. We really loved the Sunshine and would sail it again. I would hands-down choose the Sunshine over the Glory. We loved the extras on the ship. The decor of the new rooms on deck 5 are beautiful. It's really a personal choice, because you can't go wrong when you are on a cruise!

While I haven't sailed on Glory, I'm sure you'll have a great cruise regardless of which ship you choose.

If I was trying to pick, I would probably pick the Sunshine simply because of the upgrades, and it seemed to have better restaurant choices than other ships we've been on. After sailing on Sunshine, I was almost disappointed in the food options on board the Conquest.