Fellow Cruisers ~ Sharing ~ Why Not???

sail7seas

Thank you Seredipity, I was about to give a similiar response but you did it for me. As long as there are new posters, questions will be repeated. That's how we all learn new information. There are a lot of ways to tactfully point a poster in the right direction for an answer.

That being said I do find it annoying when a newbie asks a question and another poster replys that the topic has been discussed a great deal and "do a search" for the answer. We should all be able to take a little time to answer a question and we certainly shouldn't scare off a newbie or any poster for that matter.

I'll disagree just a tad. Sometimes when a new question is posted, I'll reply with a link to another thread about the topic (or 2 or 3) and suggest the poster read through those posts, then ask whatever part of the question remains. I find it's much more educational for the poster to see all sides of the issue at their own pace before jumping into the fray.

But I do think that asking a newbie (based on their number of posts) to do a search is a bit rude.

At least we are never downright rude to the new posters. I made a horrible mistake once by asking a question on a dog forum about breeding my dog. It turns out that I hadn't read through all the community guidelines and this group explicitly believed that only professionals should undertake this responsibility. Even though my circumstances are a bit different, living in the Azores, it was still horrendous. The responses I got back almost made me cry. So now I'm really careful when I go to a new forum. I read everything about them, in general, plus do a search. susana.

And remember all the flaming that I took this past May when I reported about the Zuiderdam being abused?

Haven't decided yet if and what I will report when we return from our future cruises.

KK, I think you should still report many of us know your review style and you are just being factual on your observations. I think that is important to many of us who cruise often. Maybe if you just state something like "this is your personal observation at that time" Just because you observe something bad does not mean that this situation will continue. Good example is the problems we had on the Westerdam yet you had it good several weeks earlier. I do hope you continue with your reviews.

I do know that our next cruise on the Oosterdam I do NOT plan to bring my laptop and do my "Live from Reports" but will do a brief review when I return. Mostly because I will be really busy this cruise and are cruising with several friends so really do not think we will have the time. Plus with having this aft suite I doubt we will have WiFi available in the cabin and I do not want to be walking the distance with the laptop just to post then find the internet is down. It was fine on the Maasdam we were not that far from the Library. Although since I am doing repeating the Oosterdam cruise in February this one just being Tom and I and our cabin is across from the Neptune I will probably bring it then;)

Please continue to post reviews of your cruises. I always read them but do not always comment on them. It gives me a diversity of opinions that help me in choosing which ship we will cruise on next.

Would like to see more reviews of excursions.

Thany You

Jim

. . . Ive gotten lazy and there is not a spell check in this system. Jim

Jim, I use a add-on program which I downloaded, called ieSpell. It sits right in your Internet Explorer and is real handy for checking your spelling. If you remember to use it, that is. susana.

Do you mean the ship was abused or am I reading that wrong?

And remember all the flaming that I took this past May when I reported about the Zuiderdam being abused?

Haven't decided yet if and what I will report when we return from our future cruises.

Jim, I use a add-on program which I downloaded, called ieSpell. It sits right in your Internet Explorer and is real handy for checking your spelling. If you remember to use it, that is. susana.

I love you!!!:p

Thanks for sharing that little program!

Here’s one man’s opinion on sharing. There is always someone who knows better…and I am not speaking about opinions but facts.

A while back, a poster asked about cabin category changes on Vistas for 2006. I made a call to a friend in Seattle and reported the data I had received. Soon thereafter, another poster went on line to tell me I was wrong, and then posted 2005 category information.

So my thought…why bother?

So my thought…why bother?

That one's easy to answer. Why bother? Because for every one poster who mis-corrects, criticizes, etc. there are 100 who appreciate the information and find it useful.

However, this brings up a good point. I'm sure everyone knows this, but when reading these boards (or any boards) one needs to keep in mind that someone CAN unintentionally give out the wrong information as your referenced poster did. For issues that matter and rely on facts (rather than opinon), ALWAYS verify anything you read here. These are human beings posting, and even the best can make mistakes...

* #30 * *

August 13th, 2005, 09:49 AM

elmorejj

Cruiseoften, I agree with and liked your comments.......jean

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Jean - assume you're referring to my August 12, #21 post

I've no problem sharing information, just like to feel it's worthwhile and factual :)

Other than those who tell a questioner to "research" an old topic or question, how else do people not give information or answers to questions ? I don't read a lot of these posts, but just wonder how one knows that another is not sharing info ? Also, it amuses me that when a question is answered correctly once, usually dozens of others keep answering the post even if they have nothing else to add. This makes for long, repetitive threads.

Other than those who tell a questioner to "research" an old topic or question, how else do people not give information or answers to questions ? I don't read a lot of these posts, but just wonder how one knows that another is not sharing info ? Also, it amuses me that when a question is answered correctly once, usually dozens of others keep answering the post even if they have nothing else to add. This makes for long, repetitive threads.

This is caused by the knee-jerk response and is true on all board/lists all the time. People read the first post, know the answer and reply without reading the rest of the posts to see that it's already been answered 15 times.

Sail7, I think perhaps the comment was made to indicate that the people on this board don't mind answering a question (even if it has been asked before) and are abundantly helpful. Some boards tend to stick their noses in the air at people who are 'not in the know'. I don't find that here. I am a relative 'newby' myself (going on third cruise this year) and still ask many questions. I have found this board to be a fountain of help and friendliness.

This board has some of the nicest people ever to sail! I am only sorry that I have never met any of you in person. (Any of you sailing Zaandam Nov 11?) A blanket thank-you to you all for all of the help that you have given!!

Karen

aka Rumpleteaser

Archived