If there is a Tropical depression or storm...

voltron1974

We are sailing on the Sky this Friday and it appears that a depression or storm may form by the end of the week. How does Norwegian typically alter itineraries for 3 day cruises? Will we be at sea for 3 days?

NCL Breakaway Weekend 1/14

NCL Gem CTN 11/13

Disney Dream 8/2013

NCL Jewel 2 day CTN 1/2013

NCL Gem CTN 1/2012

Carnival Sensation Bahamas 3/12

Disney Magic NYC CTN 8/12

NCL Gem CTN 2/11

NCL Gem Bahamas 11/10

NCL Gem CTN 1/10

Carnival Sensation Bahamas 5 /09

NCL Spirit CTN 10/07

Carnival Fascination Bahamas 11/02

We are sailing on the Sky this Friday and it appears that a depression or storm may form by the end of the week. How does Norwegian typically alter itineraries for 3 day cruises? Will we be at sea for 3 days?

NCL Gem CTN 11/13

Disney Dream 8/2013

NCL Gem CTN 1/2012

NCL Gem CTN 2/11

NCL Gem Bahamas 11/10

NCL Gem CTN 1/10

NCL Spirit CTN 10/07

That will pretty much depend on the storm & the track... but the NCL captains are pretty good. I'd sit back & enjoy the ride!

Where are you reading about this storm? I'm not seeing anything on weather.com. (We're going this Saturday from Miami.)

I don't mind a few bumps along the way, but hoping that the itinerary itself remains intact!

Edited by hscruiser

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov and

this is from accuweather:

Although no immediate development of a tropical depression or tropical storm is expected during the next 24 hours, there are a couple of features we are watching. Some computer model guidance suggests that one of these features, an area of low pressure along tropical wave near 40 west, will develop into a tropical depression or storm later this week as it drifts slowly westward. Waters in this area are warm and will be even warmer along the expected track of this feature. Also, upper-level winds are not terribly hostile. However, as has been a problem so far this season for features trying to organize in this area, the air mass surrounding this low is very dry and this will make it difficult for this feature to organize further and gain strength, despite the otherwise favorable conditions.

NCL Gem CTN 11/13

Disney Dream 8/2013

NCL Gem CTN 1/2012

NCL Gem CTN 2/11

NCL Gem Bahamas 11/10

NCL Gem CTN 1/10

NCL Spirit CTN 10/07

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov and

this is from accuweather:

Although no immediate development of a tropical depression or tropical storm is expected during the next 24 hours, there are a couple of features we are watching. Some computer model guidance suggests that one of these features, an area of low pressure along tropical wave near 40 west, will develop into a tropical depression or storm later this week as it drifts slowly westward. Waters in this area are warm and will be even warmer along the expected track of this feature. Also, upper-level winds are not terribly hostile. However, as has been a problem so far this season for features trying to organize in this area, the air mass surrounding this low is very dry and this will make it difficult for this feature to organize further and gain strength, despite the otherwise favorable conditions.

NCL Gem CTN 11/13

Disney Dream 8/2013

NCL Gem CTN 1/2012

NCL Gem CTN 2/11

NCL Gem Bahamas 11/10

NCL Gem CTN 1/10

NCL Spirit CTN 10/07

Here is a better look = http://queerkey.com/

I was on the allure over Labor Day last year and have been on the carnival ecstasy over Labor Day, both in hurricane season, there has been small storms each time, and it's been our experience they just sail around it if they can. It is usually a non issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hurricane Bertha threatened to wreak havoc on our Breakaway cruise a couple of weeks ago. Ended up being a complete non issue, save for a day of inclement weather once we'd already arrived in Bermuda. They altered our course ever so slightly and we managed to get ahead of it.

I've looked at a few things, and I do not see any weather that would negatively affect the Sky at the end of the week.

From: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2

"TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

800 AM EDT MON AUG 18 2014

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. Shower activity with a weak and elongated area of low pressure

located about midway between the Lesser Antilles and the Cape Verde

Islands remains disorganized. Development of this system is

not expected during the next couple of days, but beyond that time,

environmental conditions could become a little more favorable for

development when the system moves slowly westward across the central

tropical Atlantic.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.

* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...30 percent.

Forecaster Avila"

Seems to me that there is a 70% chance that nothing will happen. If the storm were to develop, the odds that it would take a path to interfere with your cruise are also very low.

From: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2

"TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

800 AM EDT MON AUG 18 2014

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. Shower activity with a weak and elongated area of low pressure

located about midway between the Lesser Antilles and the Cape Verde

Islands remains disorganized. Development of this system is

not expected during the next couple of days, but beyond that time,

environmental conditions could become a little more favorable for

development when the system moves slowly westward across the central

tropical Atlantic.

* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.

* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...30 percent.

Forecaster Avila"

Seems to me that there is a 70% chance that nothing will happen. If the storm were to develop, the odds that it would take a path to interfere with your cruise are also very low.

Very low percentages because of an over abundance of dry air over the southern Atlantic. Also when you look at the output from the computer models they do not show any thing in the Atlantic Basin at the end of the week. The European model [ECMWF] shows a minor disturbance passing the Lesser Antilies about midweek and a possible spin up in the Western Caribbean at the end of the week into the weekend off the Nicaraguan coast heading inland there.

The GFS model, US model, shows no development any where.

The Florida/Bahama region looks to be under a high pressure ridge over the weekend.

Edited by untailored bostonian

Where are you reading about this storm? I'm not seeing anything on weather.com. (We're going this Saturday from Miami.)

I don't mind a few bumps along the way, but hoping that the itinerary itself remains intact!

Hello HSCruiser...we will be on the same cruise. Just got this from http://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/atlantic:

Atlantic Basin Lacking Features

8/18/2014 9:02:34 AM

Dry air and wind shear, along with the absence of significant features across the basin, has the Tropical Atlantic in a state of tranquility.

The two most notable features are a tropical wave moving across Cuba, Jamaica, and the western Bahamas, as well as a cluster of showers and thunderstorms centered near 35 west, 11 north.

The wave moving across the northern Caribbean Sea, while producing a small cluster of showers and thunderstorms, has failed to show any signs of development around a central area of low pressure, and while shear is low over the cluster right now, the feature is too weak to coax any organization around a center.

The disturbance located off the African Coast is also over an area of low shear and is showing some signs of increasing organization early on Monday morning. The is a small window for the system to become a tropical cyclone. Any development should be short lived however, as the feature is heading for an area of very high wind shear, stretching from Central America to 50 west, which should tear apart any system that attempts to move through it.

Elsewhere, the basin remains quiet.

By AccuWeather.com Meteorologist, Evan Duffey

Not sure if you are interested, but there's a Meet & Greet Sunday at 11am in Cagney's for the CC folks set up on the Roll Call. Bringing my 14 year old son on this cruise. Looking forward to smooth seas...

DH and I are both virtual hurricane chasers, watching the forecasts and making our own forecasts all the time. It became real life when we literally sailed through Hurricane Sandy a couple of years ago.

I've looked at the info presented and the lack of any real activity out there. I'd really suggest you don't give it another thought. There are always little rain storms that pop up around Caribbean islands in the summer. They come and they go, usually between about 2PM and 4PM.

But when it comes to a storm of a level that would effect your cruise, it's pretty much not going to happen in the short time you have before sailing. It's a very quiet hurricane season this year and storms are either taking their time forming or forming at a very low level and dying almost immediately.

Thanks everyone for the help info. I know it's a risk sailing during hurricane season but it's the only time I have to sail.

NCL Gem CTN 11/13

Disney Dream 8/2013

NCL Gem CTN 1/2012

NCL Gem CTN 2/11

NCL Gem Bahamas 11/10

NCL Gem CTN 1/10

NCL Spirit CTN 10/07

It's looking like the storm is starting to materialize. Any thoughts?

Seems like it'll hit the Virgin Islands before Getaway arrives next week.

Stop worrying. Weather reports cannot get tomorrow or day after. Most are best guesses. You will drive yourself nuts.

It's looking like the storm is starting to materialize. Any thoughts?

Seems like it'll hit the Virgin Islands before Getaway arrives next week.

I've been following this as well. It appears the Bahamas will get heavy rainfall depending on the path of the storm.

So take a brelly stick and dare the gods of storms to rain on your parade !

Que Sa Ra Sa Ra !

If it gets real real bad then pray that NCL will give you a discounted cruise in

the future and if not take it on the chin and perhaps enjoy a noteworthy -

news worthy cruise - you survived WHAT ! You were THERE ! Tell me MORE !

Tell your story to the Media and enjoy a little lime-light !

And to answer the question - What were you thinking of - booking a cruise in

prime hurricane season ? And the $64,000 answer is - - - - - !$%#&@* !

Better than some silly TV series about "The Survivor" !

Remember that there are some folk that would envy being where you are !

Now how does that make you feel ?

We are all cheering for you - report back at earths end "the flat globe" !

Tell us how if feels to be a modern day Columbus !

Enough of this malarkey - have a good safe trip and enjoy the heck out of it !

Que Sa Ra Sa Ra !

Edited by don't-use-real-name
add closing line

DH and I are both virtual hurricane chasers, watching the forecasts and making our own forecasts all the time. It became real life when we literally sailed through Hurricane Sandy a couple of years ago.

I've looked at the info presented and the lack of any real activity out there. I'd really suggest you don't give it another thought. There are always little rain storms that pop up around Caribbean islands in the summer. They come and they go, usually between about 2PM and 4PM.

But when it comes to a storm of a level that would effect your cruise, it's pretty much not going to happen in the short time you have before sailing. It's a very quiet hurricane season this year and storms are either taking their time forming or forming at a very low level and dying almost immediately.

Sounds great for our cruise in October. Going to read your Hurricane Sandy review.

What ever develops it should be east of Nassau by 150 miles or so on Sunday. Might make for less than a perfect day at Great Stirrup Cay beach. Who knows, if they are worried perhaps you go to the keys after Saturday.

well that is good news for me. we leave out of NY Sat. Port Canaveral slotted for monday, tues - GSC, wed - nassau. so maybe there is hope.

Was thinking of cancelling Atlantis on wed. not sure

thanks for your reply

According to this morning's forecast here in South Florida the storm should be through the Bahamas by Monday. You should be fine for Atlantis on Wednesday. Port Canaveral and GSC might be a little hairy though.