Need help with child traveling w/o parents

I hope someone can help me with this...

Here is the scenario:

My brother just got deployed overseas for a year

My 15-yr-old nephew (his son) is staying with my parents for that year

His mother (my ex-sister-in-law) has joint custody

My brother has given my Mom power-of-attorney while he is away

During the time my brother is away, we (my parents and I) will be going on a cruise and taking my nephew with us

Here's what I know:

In order to take him out of the country, we need notarized permission from his mother with all the specifics (dates, places, etc)

We need to get him a passport (my husband is a passport agent with the USPS, so I've got those requirements covered!)

Here's what I don't know:

Since my mother currently holds power-of-attorney for my brother, does she still need to get notarized permission from him as well or is just showing the power-of-attorney paperwork enough?

Thanks in advance!

The best thing to do would be to call RCI and ask them. My opinion is this. If your mother has power of attorney, then I think that gives her permission to make decisions on your brother's behalf. That means if your nephew is traveling with your mother, he'll only need a notarized letter from your ex sister-in-law but not from your brother.

The best thing to do would be to call RCI and ask them.... he'll only need a notarized letter from your ex sister-in-law but not from your brother.

Yes to asking RCI, but insist on an answer by email so you can print it and show it if there are any questions. RC is notorious for giving inconsistent answers.

As for the second comment, I would play it safe and get a letter from each parent. It isn't RC security to be concerned about, it's customs, and having as much documentation as possible is a really good idea, since you never know what they will ask for. Especially when the word "ex" is involved, so having a copy of the divorce decree is probably a good idea as well.

Depends on the power of attourney

If it is full power then it takes into account of all decisions re his welfare and should extend to those

Under his care

A lawyer would need to confirm if that is the case

It's not royal who decide this it's immigration

Call them is best choice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi I just returned from a 14 night cruise with Royal on which I took my niece. I had to provide hand written authorization and the wording had to be specific! (they have a form on which you can fill in the blanks required) It only needed to be from 1 parent preferably with same surname to make life simpler. It had to be backed up with a copy of said parents passport including photo or photo driving license.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hi I just returned from a 14 night cruise with Royal on which I took my niece. I had to provide hand written authorization and the wording had to be specific! (they have a form on which you can fill in the blanks required) It only needed to be from 1 parent preferably with same surname to make life simpler. It had to be backed up with a copy of said parents passport including photo or photo driving license.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hmmmm...that's interesting. I always thought BOTH parents had to give permission. I think it's to avoid one parent taking the child out of the country (maybe for good) without the other parent knowing. I guess I'll have to do some serious research (and many phone calls!) to figure this all out.

Thanks!